Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Patriot Scandal??

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    NO WAY you thought of that joke yourself.

Where did you steal it from, Carolina?
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 01-23-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    I will grant you the slight distinction. One is slightly more underhanded, although the intent is the same for both. I still think this is pretty minor, and I'm no Pats fan.
    The intent in one is to provide balls that meet the requirements so they are approved and intentionally deceive the refs knowing that you can then do whatever you want to the balls.

The intent in the other is to get as close as possible to the upper amount the refs will allow.

Go PACK

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    That crop is so bad it started a famine.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    That crop is so bad it started a famine.
    If I could give this more than one rep, I would
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Belichick saying he didn't know about the rule is hysterical. This from the guy who brought out the 4 OL formation and told others they need to read the rulebook to see it was legal.

Is it cheating? Yes. They violated the rules.

Is Goodell going to do something other than a slap on the wrist fine? No. He sure as hell won't take away draft picks as some want him to.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    The intent in one is to provide balls that meet the requirements so they are approved and intentionally deceive the refs knowing that you can then do whatever you want to the balls.

The intent in the other is to get as close as possible to the upper amount the refs will allow.
    Maybe it's homerism, but I agree. From what Rodgers said, he puts in as much air as he thinks he can get away with, then gives the balls to the refs. If they say it's ok, then it's ok. Brady doctored (or had them doctored) after they passed inspection.

All of this is pretty comical, and the timing of it is part of that. In reality, the Patriots should be punished. Now. The league has 2 weeks to sort it out, plenty of time. Fine Brady or the team, call him into the commisioners office to explain, whatever they decide. But, with the SB coming up, they just can't, there was an article on PFT that said as of 4 days after the game, the league hadn't even contacted Brady to discuss it
    This is looking an awful lot like the way they handled the Rice thing, bury their head in the sand, and ignore the evidence that is there for the taking, and hope it all goes away
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    NO WAY you thought of that joke yourself.

Where did you steal it from, Carolina?
    No stealing involved, or would that be the Patriot way? Thanks, HH.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Maybe it's homerism, but I agree. From what Rodgers said, he puts in as much air as he thinks he can get away with, then gives the balls to the refs. If they say it's ok, then it's ok. Brady doctored (or had them doctored) after they passed inspection.

All of this is pretty comical, and the timing of it is part of that. In reality, the Patriots should be punished. Now. The league has 2 weeks to sort it out, plenty of time. Fine Brady or the team, call him into the commisioners office to explain, whatever they decide. But, with the SB coming up, they just can't, there was an article on PFT that said as of 4 days after the game, the league hadn't even contacted Brady to discuss it
    This is looking an awful lot like the way they handled the Rice thing, bury their head in the sand, and ignore the evidence that is there for the taking, and hope it all goes away
    Is there any evidence that the Patriots deflated the balls after the referees inspected them? Isn't it possible that the officials failed to detect that the balls were under-inflated when they inspected them? After all, an official would have handled the ball after every Patriot offensive play and apparently didn't notice anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Is there any evidence that the Patriots deflated the balls after the referees inspected them? Isn't it possible that the officials failed to detect that the balls were under-inflated when they inspected them? After all, an official would have handled the ball after every Patriot offensive play and apparently didn't notice anything wrong.
    There was a report the other day that the officials had inspected the balls 2 hours or so prior to the game and all the balls were within the threshold at that time.
    Go PACK

Evidently it's near impossible to determine a difference of 2 psi in a ball just by handling it.

So now balls must be measure for correct pressure just like stick blade curves have to follow a specified limitation in the NHL.

This article is good;

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ng-on-all-year

It looks to me like the pat's pay some price here.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Evidently it's near impossible to determine a difference of 2 psi in a ball just by handling it.
    The NFL really needs to hire some people next year who are skilled at handling balls, to know the inflation difference, just by the way they feel in your hands - their softness/turgidity; the smoothness or roughness, their delicacy. I recommend Pete Schweddy:

https://screen.yahoo.com/delicious-dish-npr-snl-skits/
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    The whole thing is kind of nuts. Ball inflation pressure? It is really hard to fathom how it matters, but I guess there's a rule, and the point is, they broke it. They didn't find a way around the rule, or challenge its validity, they just flat out break them, which I do see as the bigger problem.

One question I have: is this another bounty-gate? Are many teams doing it, but the NFL is not interested in looking to see?
    The thing is, if it doesn't matter why the rule and why the effort to get around the rule?

Andrew Luck on how he felt after the loss.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/BCA...mRY.11dpx84hVu

the nfl doesn't want to dig too deep into this imo. the end result is probably that brady ordered the balls to be deflated, which like they mentioned on PFT and on espn radio, could very well end in a suspension

imagine the super bowl without its biggest star.

they also mentioned on the radio, that theres starting to be the feeling that this could be brady's last game

This is getting stupid. The NFL needs to squash this now.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    This is getting stupid. The NFL needs to squash this now.
    I don't see them saying much of anything until after the Super Bowl, unless they determine the Patriots did nothing wrong. I can't see the NFL coming out and saying before the Super Bowl that one of the participants cheated to get there.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I don't see them saying much of anything until after the Super Bowl, unless they determine the Patriots did nothing wrong. I can't see the NFL coming out and saying before the Super Bowl that one of the participants cheated to get there.
    This. Nothing is going to happen of any consequence before the game. Goodell's not going to suspend Brady or Belicheat before the SB. The outrage from ESPN.. err I mean the NE area would be enormous and make the SB even more tainted.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Agreed. The fact that the league hasn't interviewed a single player yet says it all.
    Go PACK

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...n-at-all-costs

Brett Keisel: New England Patriots will try to 'win at all costs'

January, 23, 2015 12:15 PM ET

By: Scott Brown | ESPN.com

Comment woodbuck27:

So where is the NFL Officially on this matter? Right here after five days:

In slow as cold molasses mode and with a Law Firm involved. Can't the NFL simply take the facts as they were discovered and interpret that Vs the RULE on the proper inflation of balls and punish who's deemed guilty? ie The new England Patriots.

To pin this on any individual will be difficult.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...192128202.html

"...."The investigation is being led jointly by NFL Executive Vice President Jeff Pash and Ted Wells of the law firm of Paul Weiss. Mr. Wells and his firm bring additional expertise and a valuable independent perspective. The investigation began promptly on Sunday night. Over the past several days,[B] nearly 40 interviews have been conducted ...(but apparently not with Tom Brady) , but gave minimal details on what it was told. The league did say the officials inspected the Patriots' footballs before the game per the rules and they were compliant with the rules, which clears up that key point. blah ...blah blah........ blah....blah "
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau