Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: ARE WE GIVING AROD A FREE PASS ??????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I am not being defensive. I am trying to understand what the actual measurements are and how they actually work. It seems like YS method penalizes teams that are offensively explosive or start fast in games and win. I pointed out that our 19 game winning streak, which included a Super Bowl, earned ARod zero on YS rating scale.

Football is such a team game that it is very hard to blame a QB for winning or losing just on the last drive or a "clutch factor" in a game.

The perfect example to me is the Seattle game. If Ha Ha knocks down Wilson's balloon ball prayer two point conversion or instead of jumping to go after the ball tackles the TE after he catched the ball short of the end zone, ARod would be deemed clutch for leading the team down for a FG to win the game. Instead, ARod isn't clutch and gets blamed in this thread.
    Fair. Perhaps a better measure would be a percentage of 4QCB wins by opportunity. Though if HaHa knocks the ball down, I don't know if the remaining game transpires the same way (butterfly effect and all).

Ha Ha had two picks, in the game, and he could not slap down a silly duck, from Russell?
    Football ain't baseball. Bill Buckner let a simple grounder, trickle through his legs, that would have been the last out of the 1986 WEorld Series. He should not have been even in the line up.
    He cost the LA Dodgers the World Series, by making the last out at Third Base,
    A violation of a cardinal rule of baseball. His saving grace was he was tagged out in the face.

Some baseball stuff. Not to paraphase the Scout Thinking of the MLB, back in the day. He was good looking.
    See the movie Moneyball, or read the book.

Del

Close games in 2009:

CHI: Bears hit FG to take 15-13 lead with 2:38 remaining. Rodgers hits Jennings for go-ahead TD with 1:18 remaining (2-point conversion good). Defense intercepts Cutler on subsequent drive.
    CIN: Bengals take a 31-21 lead with 2:00 remaining. Packers drive for FG with 0:49 remaining, and win onside kick. Rodgers hits Driver at Bengals 10 with 0:16 remaining, but Packers are unable to stop the clock in time (Spitz false started).
    MIN: Vikings take 31-20 lead with 13:39 remaining. Packers drive for TD on subsequent drive, but fail on 2-point conversion. 31-26. Packers force a punt, and then drive to Vikings 33, where Crosby misses the FG with 5:43 remaining. Vikings score TD on subsequent drive, putting the game out of reach.
    TB: Bucs take 31-28 lead with 4:20 remaining. Subsequent Packers and Bucs drives stall. On the next Packers drive, on 4th and 12 from their own 11, with 0:52 remaining, Rodgers throws a pick 6, which effectively ends the game.
    SF: 49ers score to trail 30-24, with 6:02 remaining. Packers conduct an 11 play drive to run out the clock.
    CHI: With a 14-13 lead going into the 4th quarter, Cutler throws an interception, returned to the Bears 11. Packers score a TD and 2-point conversion with 12:42 remaining, and make 3 defensive stops to end the game.
    PIT: Packers take a 36-30 lead with 2:12 remaining. Steelers subsequently march down the field, and score the winning TD on the last play of the game.

Playoffs:
    AZ: Rodgers throws TD to tie game with 2:00 remaining. Cards drive to GB 16 and miss FG with 0:14 left. Packers receive in OT, and Cards score on a Rodgers fumble return.
    Last edited by th87; 02-04-2015 at 11:20 PM.

A Couple of BOOKS, available on Amazon.com

Instant Replay
    Jerry Kramers iconic ghostwritten sports diary. He settled for 32, 500 dollars to play right guard for Vince Lombardi, in 1967. with who he negotiated through a Lombardi Lackey.
    In todays dollars that would be worth $235,356.89 in 2014

In 1959, Vince Lombardi agreed to being paid 36,000 dollars a year for 5 years. by the Green bay Packers
    That was worth $262,869.28 in 2014 dollars.

Point is, an NFL coach mutally agreed to get fired, and three days later signed a piece of paper, is going to get paid
    8 million a year in 2015 dollars, by the college he played quarterback for. and which begs a question.....is this sport that vakuable,
    to the American Pysche, that we hard working Americans have to put up with this type of insult?
    To offer up our sustinance, to it's being?

Seriously, some NFL team, is going to sign a player, sweating through his suit while he tries to print his name, on an NFL Contract,
    after 3-4 years of bering coddled, by the "Intitution of Higher Learning" he spent laboring for, during the end months of an annual earthly rotation,
    of this planet, in the Northern Hemisphere.

Del

2010:

CHI: Packers take 17-14 lead with 6:59 remaining. Bears score FG on subsequent drive to tie, and on the Packers next drive, Jones fumbles. Bears drive and kick game-winning FG.
    WAS: Redskins tie game at 13-13 with 1:11 remaining. Packers drive to WAS 35, where Crosby misses FG. In OT, Packers and Redskins drives stall. On subsequent Packers drive, Rodgers throws INT at GB 39. Redskins drive and kick winning FG.
    MIA: Packers down 20-13 with 5:29 remaining. Packers tie on a Rodgers sneak with 0:16 remaining. In OT, Dolphins and Packers drives stall. Dolphins subsequently drive to kick winning FG.
    ATL: Packers down 17-10 with 5:59 remaining. Packers drive 90 yards to score on Rodgers TD pass with 1:06 remaining. Falcons drive and kick winning FG with 0:13 remaining.
    CHI: Tied 3-3, Rodgers throws TD pass with 12:46 remaining. Packers defense holds on three subsequent drives to seal the victory.

2011:

NYG: Giants tie game at 35-35 with 1:02 remaining. Packers subsequently drive and kick game winning FG with 0:03 remaining.

2012:

SF: Packers score on Rodgers TD pass to make it 30-22 with 6:09 remaining. Packers defense gets a stop with 3:45 remaining. Packers subsequent drive stalls on down with 0:54 remaining, on the 49ers 45.
    SEA: Packers score with 8:53 remaining to take 12-7 lead. Seahawks subsequently turn the ball over on downs with 2:00 remaining. Packers subsequently go three and out (sounds familiar), and then Fail Mary occurs.
    NO: Packers go ahead 28-27 on Rodgers TD pass with 7:05 remaining. Saints drive and miss a FG with 2:54 remaining. Packers subsequently convert a first down to end the game.
    IND: Colts take a 22-21 lead with 8:08 left. Subsequent Packers and Colts drives stall. On the following drive, Packers score TD and miss 2-point conversion with 4:34 remaining. Colts subsequently drive and score TD and 2-point conversion to make it 30-27 with 0:39 remaining. Packers drive to Colts 33 and miss tying FG with 0:08 left.
    MIN: Down 27-24, Packers kick FG with 12:25 remaining. Vikings subsequently drive and score a TD with 8:03 left. Packers subsequently drive and score a TD with 2:57 remaining. Vikings subsequently drive and kick game winner with 0:03 left.

This has been an interesting thread to say the least. In the end I'd rather have Aaron Rodgers under center right now over any other QB in the league - including Brady. Brady is great but he's closer to the end of his career compared to AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    This has been an interesting thread to say the least. In the end I'd rather have Aaron Rodgers under center right now over any other QB in the league - including Brady. Brady is great but he's closer to the end of his career compared to AR.
    I would agree to that IF Rodgers had a competent coach calling the plays.

Quote Originally Posted by th87 View Post
    Close games in 2009:

CHI: Bears hit FG to take 15-13 lead with 2:38 remaining. Rodgers hits Jennings for go-ahead TD with 1:18 remaining (2-point conversion good). Defense intercepts Cutler on subsequent drive.
    CIN: Bengals take a 31-21 lead with 2:00 remaining. Packers drive for FG with 0:49 remaining, and win onside kick. Rodgers hits Driver at Bengals 10 with 0:16 remaining, but Packers are unable to stop the clock in time (Spitz false started).
    MIN: Vikings take 31-20 lead with 13:39 remaining. Packers drive for TD on subsequent drive, but fail on 2-point conversion. 31-26. Packers force a punt, and then drive to Vikings 33, where Crosby misses the FG with 5:43 remaining. Vikings score TD on subsequent drive, putting the game out of reach.
    TB: Bucs take 31-28 lead with 4:20 remaining. Subsequent Packers and Bucs drives stall. On the next Packers drive, on 4th and 12 from their own 11, with 0:52 remaining, Rodgers throws a pick 6, which effectively ends the game.
    SF: 49ers score to trail 30-24, with 6:02 remaining. Packers conduct an 11 play drive to run out the clock.
    CHI: With a 14-13 lead going into the 4th quarter, Cutler throws an interception, returned to the Bears 11. Packers score a TD and 2-point conversion with 12:42 remaining, and make 3 defensive stops to end the game.
    PIT: Packers take a 36-30 lead with 2:12 remaining. Steelers subsequently march down the field, and score the winning TD on the last play of the game.

Playoffs:
    AZ: Rodgers throws TD to tie game with 2:00 remaining. Cards drive to GB 16 and miss FG with 0:14 left. Packers receive in OT, and Cards score on a Rodgers facemask fumble return.
    Fixed.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Fixed.
    I think you missed blow to the head of a QB first before the facemask.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I would agree to that IF Rodgers had a competent coach calling the plays.
    Do you mean the guy who's offense has ranked in the top 10 4 of the past 5 years?

Do you mean the guy who's offense has ranked in the top 10 4 of the past 5 years?
    And the coach with the second highest points per game in NFL history?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I think he's talking about the coach who was in charge of playcalling during "The Big Choke" a few weeks ago in Seattle.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I think he's talking about the coach who was in charge of playcalling during "The Big Choke" a few weeks ago in Seattle.
    That's an extremely myopic perspective if so. Four minutes out of nine years does not define a coach. And extrapolating what Vince has argued, those four minutes weren't necessarily even bad play calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I would like you or anyone else to explain what was so terrible about the playcalling. Because we ran the ball late in the game up by 12? Thats just logical. It's the weirdest paradox to me. the same section of fans seem to say aaron was sloppy and innaccurate and not himself because of his injury, yet claim McCarthy is a buffoon for not throwing the ball all over the field with 5 mins left up by 12. Can anyone explain that to me?

That's an extremely myopic perspective if so. Four minutes out of nine years does not define a coach. And extrapolating what Vince has argued, those four minutes weren't necessarily even bad play calling.
    I think both these things can be true. M3 and Rodgers score an astronomical amount of points in 3 quarters. When the entire offense is made available to them, its beautiful.

I am less impressed with the 4 minute offense's construction. Its not competence, its the approach to minimizing risk.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think both these things can be true. M3 and Rodgers score an astronomical amount of points in 3 quarters. When the entire offense is made available to them, its beautiful.

I am less impressed with the 4 minute offense's construction. Its not competence, its the approach to minimizing risk.
    I would suggest it's also competence. They have only had a running back with that kind of skill for two years. And they have only had that running back AND AR on the field when both have been healthy for roughly a year. Throw in an offensive line that's finally hitting its stride, and I could argue that they're building their competence for the 4 minute offense, but it isn't there yet.

Yes, if the players had done their jobs and executed the plays we wouldn't be questioning things today.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I would like you or anyone else to explain what was so terrible about the playcalling. Because we ran the ball late in the game up by 12? Thats just logical. It's the weirdest paradox to me. the same section of fans seem to say aaron was sloppy and innaccurate and not himself because of his injury, yet claim McCarthy is a buffoon for not throwing the ball all over the field with 5 mins left up by 12. Can anyone explain that to me?
    The subject has been talked to death in another thread(s). The gist of it is if you have to get over a brick wall to win a game, sometimes it makes sense to jump over the wall rather than keep butting your head against it.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Yes, if the players had done their jobs and executed the plays we wouldn't be questioning things today.
    I agree. Lacy had three plays to get a first down after Burnett's interception. He didn't do his job and failed to execute. Fire Lacy...or maybe fire the OL. They didn't do their job either.