Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: ARE WE GIVING AROD A FREE PASS ??????????????????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Who stalled the drives, Rodgers or McCarthy? M3 loves throttling down in FG range to eat clock.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Who stalled the drives, Rodgers or McCarthy? M3 loves throttling down in FG range to eat clock.
    I only see one instance of that in the examples listed. I said that one is not on him with the blocked fg vs. Chicago. A stalled drive and a punt, or a interception to end the game....Aaron has to take a lot of blame for those. That is mostly what i am seeing. Missing a 52 yd fg is not a blunder or misshap. That happens. Even the last game, we didn't settle for a fg or run out of time....we were unable to get a first down to push for a win. And yes that is what we needed...I knew we would not win in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I only see one instance of that in the examples listed. I said that one is not on him with the blocked fg vs. Chicago. A stalled drive and a punt, or a interception to end the game....Aaron has to take a lot of blame for those. That is mostly what i am seeing. Missing a 52 yd fg is not a blunder or misshap. That happens. Even the last game, we didn't settle for a fg or run out of time....we were unable to get a first down to push for a win. And yes that is what we needed...I knew we would not win in OT.
    There are five cases where Rodgers drove them into FG and a FG was attempted. That was precisely my point.

Interceptions to end games are precisely what the criticism is about, though in reverse of your claim. The theory about his comeback record that has been put forward is that he doesn't take enough risks at the end of the game when behind, when those risks are justified by the game situation.

So if you wish to claim that INTs are the reason he doesn't produce more 4th Quarter comebacks, then you need to explain why subsequent seasons, when his INT numbers have plummeted, the 4th Qtr comebacks are still not plentiful.

The "people who analyze QB play" are actually saying there should be more INTs in certain situations in order to increase the odds of making a 4th Quarter comeback.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There are five cases where Rodgers drove them into FG and a FG was attempted. That was precisely my point.

Interceptions to end games are precisely what the criticism is about, though in reverse of your claim. The theory about his comeback record that has been put forward is that he doesn't take enough risks at the end of the game when behind, when those risks are justified by the game situation.

So if you wish to claim that INTs are the reason he doesn't produce more 4th Quarter comebacks, then you need to explain why subsequent seasons, when his INT numbers have plummeted, the 4th Qtr comebacks are still not plentiful.

The "people who analyze QB play" are actually saying there should be more INTs in certain situations in order to increase the odds of making a 4th Quarter comeback.
    Sigh..... I am saying that when you are trailing in the last minutes of the game and you turn the ball over or are unable to keep the drive going, you bear a good portion of that responsibility as a quarterback. I am not saying interceptions are THE reason he doesn't have more fourth quarter comebacks, but that obviously him throwing a game ending interception is an example of him failing to engineer one?
    I only see 3 of the 8 examples involving us attempting a field goal. One we made, one we missed, and was blocked. The one that we made, there was still a game ending pick that Aaron threw after that sequence when we need a touchdown. The one we missed was a 52 yarder outside, and is never what you want or would you ever settle for a 52 yarder. The one that was blocked, Aaron did his job and special teams failed.

I love how you guys parse and beat quotes into the ground. Anyone with a logical brain can analyze qb play. I watch the damn games. Aaron has great numbers and has been good at beating the shit out of bad teams for the most part. But in close games, which against good teams you tend to find yourself in, he struggles. I actually thought he made great strides in regards to clutchness this season....the Miami game obviously, vs NE when Adams dropped what would have sealed the game as a td, and the Dallas game. But when the Seattle game took me back to those frustrating places, where you feel like he can't lead us to victory when we need it the most. I know his calf, wah wah. He hasn't played Seattle much better at full strength, so I just don't buy it. The excuse parade just never ends.

Sigh..... I am saying that when you are trailing in the last minutes of the game and you turn the ball over or are unable to keep the drive going, you bear a good portion of that responsibility as a quarterback.
    1. You cannot talk about 4th Quarter comebacks and then only talk about the last drive with Rodgers. Thats apples to carrots. In your citing of QB observers and the other QBs who have more 4QC than Rodgers, you do not limit them to the last drive of the game for inclusion.

2. If a drive (not the last drive of a game) ends in a FG to tie or take the lead, the QB has likely done his job and his coach is satisfied with the result. Because unless I am mistaken, the coach calls out the FG unit, not the QB.

New Theory: If my QB and game planning tended to put me in an early lead against almost all other teams, my goal would be to become an expert on holding that lead and minimizing the chances of a comeback. Outside of basics, I would not worry in the slightest about 4QC.

Anyone want to claim McCarthy and the team has that figured out yet? I do agree with Vince that the safest path is the low risk, low variance, time eating strategy. But I am not sure that is the most best way to close out the game with a win. Being a little riskier when you have all the advantages is probably warranted. The Seattle game might have been the worst example because the greatest edge you have is injured and can't play action.

McCarthy is successful and established enough to employ a strategy of eating clock and living with the consequences of that strategy when it doesn't work out. So he is not afraid to use a plan whose principle feature is to enhance the chances of winning rather than avoiding post-game criticism. If he were to switch to pushing aggressively when he has leverage at any point in the game, he is well positioned to survive whatever criticism might occur during the transition.

And this is his first year as a starter. Most QBs don't set the world on fire in their first season as a starter.

I know I for one would rather have a clutch QB who maybe is barely .500 in his career than a QB who is only a frontrunner and chokes in one score games despite a sterling regular season record and actual playoff appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I know I for one would rather have a clutch QB who maybe is barely .500 in his career than a QB who is only a frontrunner and chokes in one score games despite a sterling regular season record and actual playoff appearances.
    Peyton Manning?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Peyton Manning?
    Eli.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Eli.
    If he's talking about Eli, I might point out that the Giants scored 21 and 17 points in those games. It was the ability of the Giants defense to shut down Brady that was primarily responsible for the Giants victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If he's talking about Eli, I might point out that the Giants scored 21 and 17 points in those games. It was the ability of the Giants defense to shut down Brady that was primarily responsible for the Giants victories.
    Really I'm talking about the earlier references to 4th quarter comebacks from the likes of Cutler or Stafford. Though Eli is another good choice. It's a team sport, and the big deal being made about Rodgers "clutch-ness" is a bit of baloney. Yes, he can play better, but it is a team game as well. It's basically rehashing earlier arguments that went on during the early years when he was constantly being compared to Favre and his many comebacks.

I just watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blrmdIfXPwI

if I was Mike McCarthy I'd watch this video once a week and fully get a grip on how lucky I am to have Aaron Rodgers as my teams QB !

If I was Mike McCarthy I'd take all that was 2011-15 and rip it up and begin a new scrap book.

On the cover I'd write 2015 and ....New Beginning.

I'd come to full terms with my failures and needs to revise/change. I'd look for any input from anyone who might offer advice:

Coachs and players to the fella that cleans out my waste paper basket....all have a respected say in 'The New Beginning'.

I'd ensure a brand new Green Bay Packers that over the course of next season looks like the NO. 1 Team in the NFL. I'd coach my team every day and in every game for every minute to better ensure VICTORY ! I'd call plays to win every game big. I wouldn't call plays not to lose.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2080583

Limping to the Finish Line: Packers' Aaron Rodgers is just latest injured quarterback trying to get to Super Bowl

Several quarterbacks have played with significant playoff injuries, and two — the Bears’ Jim McMahon and the Cowboys’ Troy Aikman — have won the Super Bowl. No one, however, has made an entire run through the postseason while playing hurt, as Rodgers is hoping to do.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I will say in AR's defense that the shitty defense the last few years has not helped him. Just as some of those shitty defenses years ago put Favre in the position that he had to do it all. The difference being that Rodgers won't take the same chances to win. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I can see at times where people would think he is stat whoring.

You people really need to lay off Aaron. He's the best QB the Packers have had since Bart Starr.
    Watching Brett Favre play, was always a sphincter muscle clinch so tight, you could not have pulled
    a needle out of it with one of those Interstate Wreckers, that pulls a Semi Tractor and its trailer,
    off it;s side and once again upright, like it was a Tonka Toy, on that Weather Channel. Reality Show.
    I love the Weather Channel. Never had much use for "No Risk No Reward" from Missisippiss.
    Where the local fly is the size of an adult sparrow.

Del

Ha Ha had two picks, in the game, and he could not slap down a silly duck, from Russell?
    Football ain't baseball. Bill Buckner let a simple grounder, trickle through his legs, that would have been the last out of the 1986 WEorld Series. He should not have been even in the line up.
    He cost the LA Dodgers the World Series, by making the last out at Third Base,
    A violation of a cardinal rule of baseball. His saving grace was he was tagged out in the face.

Some baseball stuff. Not to paraphase the Scout Thinking of the MLB, back in the day. He was good looking.
    See the movie Moneyball, or read the book.

Del

A Couple of BOOKS, available on Amazon.com

Instant Replay
    Jerry Kramers iconic ghostwritten sports diary. He settled for 32, 500 dollars to play right guard for Vince Lombardi, in 1967. with who he negotiated through a Lombardi Lackey.
    In todays dollars that would be worth $235,356.89 in 2014

In 1959, Vince Lombardi agreed to being paid 36,000 dollars a year for 5 years. by the Green bay Packers
    That was worth $262,869.28 in 2014 dollars.

Point is, an NFL coach mutally agreed to get fired, and three days later signed a piece of paper, is going to get paid
    8 million a year in 2015 dollars, by the college he played quarterback for. and which begs a question.....is this sport that vakuable,
    to the American Pysche, that we hard working Americans have to put up with this type of insult?
    To offer up our sustinance, to it's being?

Seriously, some NFL team, is going to sign a player, sweating through his suit while he tries to print his name, on an NFL Contract,
    after 3-4 years of bering coddled, by the "Intitution of Higher Learning" he spent laboring for, during the end months of an annual earthly rotation,
    of this planet, in the Northern Hemisphere.

Del

Close games in 2009:

CHI: Bears hit FG to take 15-13 lead with 2:38 remaining. Rodgers hits Jennings for go-ahead TD with 1:18 remaining (2-point conversion good). Defense intercepts Cutler on subsequent drive.
    CIN: Bengals take a 31-21 lead with 2:00 remaining. Packers drive for FG with 0:49 remaining, and win onside kick. Rodgers hits Driver at Bengals 10 with 0:16 remaining, but Packers are unable to stop the clock in time (Spitz false started).
    MIN: Vikings take 31-20 lead with 13:39 remaining. Packers drive for TD on subsequent drive, but fail on 2-point conversion. 31-26. Packers force a punt, and then drive to Vikings 33, where Crosby misses the FG with 5:43 remaining. Vikings score TD on subsequent drive, putting the game out of reach.
    TB: Bucs take 31-28 lead with 4:20 remaining. Subsequent Packers and Bucs drives stall. On the next Packers drive, on 4th and 12 from their own 11, with 0:52 remaining, Rodgers throws a pick 6, which effectively ends the game.
    SF: 49ers score to trail 30-24, with 6:02 remaining. Packers conduct an 11 play drive to run out the clock.
    CHI: With a 14-13 lead going into the 4th quarter, Cutler throws an interception, returned to the Bears 11. Packers score a TD and 2-point conversion with 12:42 remaining, and make 3 defensive stops to end the game.
    PIT: Packers take a 36-30 lead with 2:12 remaining. Steelers subsequently march down the field, and score the winning TD on the last play of the game.

Playoffs:
    AZ: Rodgers throws TD to tie game with 2:00 remaining. Cards drive to GB 16 and miss FG with 0:14 left. Packers receive in OT, and Cards score on a Rodgers fumble return.
    Last edited by th87; 02-04-2015 at 11:20 PM.

2011:

NYG: Giants tie game at 35-35 with 1:02 remaining. Packers subsequently drive and kick game winning FG with 0:03 remaining.

2012:

SF: Packers score on Rodgers TD pass to make it 30-22 with 6:09 remaining. Packers defense gets a stop with 3:45 remaining. Packers subsequent drive stalls on down with 0:54 remaining, on the 49ers 45.
    SEA: Packers score with 8:53 remaining to take 12-7 lead. Seahawks subsequently turn the ball over on downs with 2:00 remaining. Packers subsequently go three and out (sounds familiar), and then Fail Mary occurs.
    NO: Packers go ahead 28-27 on Rodgers TD pass with 7:05 remaining. Saints drive and miss a FG with 2:54 remaining. Packers subsequently convert a first down to end the game.
    IND: Colts take a 22-21 lead with 8:08 left. Subsequent Packers and Colts drives stall. On the following drive, Packers score TD and miss 2-point conversion with 4:34 remaining. Colts subsequently drive and score TD and 2-point conversion to make it 30-27 with 0:39 remaining. Packers drive to Colts 33 and miss tying FG with 0:08 left.
    MIN: Down 27-24, Packers kick FG with 12:25 remaining. Vikings subsequently drive and score a TD with 8:03 left. Packers subsequently drive and score a TD with 2:57 remaining. Vikings subsequently drive and kick game winner with 0:03 left.