Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Next year

CutlerquitRat HOFer

Next year

What do we need to win the game besides a healthy AR

Cobb re-signed would be good.

Bulaga re-signed

Draft WR, ILB and a Run Stuffing DT and DE.

Everything else seems ready for next season.

Really tried that reverse mojo last game and it didn't work...damn it!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Coast. I'm serious, the talent needs very small modifications. Lessons need to be learned from Seattle, who showed heart of champion.

The problem in the NFCC was Stubby and dunderdummy... they'll both be back.

We had a good lead, we had the game won - and they choked it away.

And it's not like we haven't seen this before - sometimes they get away with it, but their nature is to go conservative. That isn't going to change - tough to win championships like that. We got lucky in 2010.
    wist

1. Re-sign Cobb, Bulaga, and whoever else is expiring and isn't expendable.

2. Find a quality starter at one of the inside linebacker positions. Sign a real FA if necessary, but get someone who can cover TEs without committing killer penalties (Jones) or can run the defense while occasionally making a big play. Of course, then we will all probably be bitching about how the new guy isn't as assignment-sure as Hawk.

3. Draft a WR in the second round = 90% they'll have Nelson's or Cobb's replacement when they need it in a few years.

4. Search through scrap heaps and undrafted files for the next Antonio Gates.

If they sign Cobb and Bulaga, needs are not great on offense. R. Rodgers needs to make a significant step forward to become at least a consistent presence. Adams will make a step up, and I think they will find a decent #4 among those they have. A meaningful #3 RB who can return kicks would be nice, but you might not need to use a draft pick for that. Take an OL and/or TE in the middle rounds, a 6th or 7th round freak at WR. Use the rest on defense.

On defense, take the best player regardless of position, and it should be a help.

Oh, ........ and work with Janus to be the primary return guy.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Oh and CUT BRAD JONES!!!!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Oh and CUT BRAD JONES!!!!
    And Brandon Bostick. Or at least cut off his hands, as they appear to be useless.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

This is the best team in the NFL right now....They dismantled a good Eagle team, totally outplayed both super bowl teams (red zone problems made scores closer than they should have been). I see a team that dominated at times like the 96 team....They have a bright future, if they can let Sunday's collapse go....

Quote Originally Posted by LEWCWA View Post
    This is the best team in the NFL right now....They dismantled a good Eagle team, totally outplayed both super bowl teams (red zone problems made scores closer than they should have been). I see a team that dominated at times like the 96 team....They have a bright future, if they can let Sunday's collapse go....
    Don't say that. You may well be right (I think you are), but if they are the best team this year then we know for sure that they will find a way to take a step down next year. Ron Wolf has forever defined their destiny to be that.

This team blew it on the road at Buffalo and Seattle this year....that's not the best team in the NFL. When they stop doing those things they will be.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    This team blew it on the road at Buffalo and Seattle this year....that's not the best team in the NFL. When they stop doing those things they will be.
    That is one weird thing about this year. McCarthy's teams are normally very good on the road. Pass pro hurt early.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Does GB win the game if it is in GB this year?

Did they lose the Super Bowl in Buffalo?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Does GB win the game if it is in GB this year?

I think GB wins if they play at home. They were a much different team at home this year. Even with Rodgers bum leg.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Don't say that. You may well be right (I think you are), but if they are the best team this year then we know for sure that they will find a way to take a step down next year. Ron Wolf has forever defined their destiny to be that.
    Except for the Ron Wolf thing, this seems to be pretty accurate:

Ascending in 2010 (though we won the SB), dominant in 2011 but the paper defense caught up.

Everything looks good, but I worry (maybe inaccurately) that this was our ascension year. BUT, to be fair, LBs look to be our oldest team and Hawk and Jones will be gone, leaving the oldest member one of the best (Peppers). Once they are replaced, only Tramontana and Peppers will have to be replaced sooner rather than later. No one else on the team (*coughKuhncough*) is old enough that their career would be shortened by age instead of someone else paying them/someone younger beating them out.

Which presumably means the window is open for several years. And that's after paying the QB and star defender the big bucks. Let's see other teams try that.

Also, I didn't realize this until today, but except for Hawk, Harrell, and Raji--three players who didn't really contribute this year--the Packers haven't had a pick higher than #20 overall since "Too Small". And yet they remain one of the best teams in the league year after year.

If that doesn't speak to the success of the Packers front office (*coughFalconsandtwotimeExecutiveoftheYearwinnerDi mitroffcough*), I don't know what does.

Time to restock the LBs and wreak havoc next year.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That is one weird thing about this year. McCarthy's teams are normally very good on the road. Pass pro hurt early.
    I think it had as much to do with the lack of receiving targets as pass protection. Only Nelson and Cobb were consistent game in game out. Development from Adams/Rodgers and turning 2 targets into 4 would be huge. Rodgers caught some balls down the seam in the back half of the year but it was from teams ignoring him as much as anything else. Maybe he can become the safety blanket in the middle of the field.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think so, to the extent you can point to any single event. They had 15 lost opportunities, but Buffalo was biggie.

I expect to see the key players resigned. I expect to see JP back with a new deal. I expect to see House back for sure. House is the future. He is going to be a pretty good player IMO. I don't see them letting TWill walk away because their depth at corner has proven valuable. He will take a reasonable short term deal.

I expect to see them to keep Clay at MLB on rushing downs. He has already made his money. Look at Brian Cushing and how productive he is. That's the vision.

I expect to see them cut Jones and Hawk. I think they will draft a speedy MLB. Possibly the big guy from Mississippi State. I would like to see a guy closer to a safety brought in - someone like Thomas Davis. Maybe a big, instinctive but 4.6 speed safety and convert him.

Assuming Cobb and Bulaga are signed, the offense is just about set with the exception of adding the obligatory 4th/5th round OL.
    I actually think they will keep Tramon on a short term deal over House due to the fact House can't stay healthy and a team will probably throw a big deal at him.
    Draft/FA should bring MLB's, CB's, and DL.
    Go PACK

House is trash. Brad Jones is trash. Tramon Williams has lost a step. Hawk has lost 5 steps. I don't want any of those guys back.

Shields, Hayward, and Hyde are the future at corner. Add depth through the draft and hopefully hit on another player.

Go after Justin Houston if he's available. BREAK THE BANK on him, we need another ELITE player.

Definitely bring back Bulaga, Cobb, and Kuhn. Probably Guion too. Don't care if everyone else walks. I hope Hawk, Jones, and Bostick are cut.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I expect to see the key players resigned. I expect to see JP back with a new deal. I expect to see House back for sure. House is the future. He is going to be a pretty good player IMO. I don't see them letting TWill walk away because their depth at corner has proven valuable. He will take a reasonable short term deal.

I expect to see them to keep Clay at MLB on rushing downs. He has already made his money. Look at Brian Cushing and how productive he is. That's the vision.

I expect to see them cut Jones and Hawk. I think they will draft a speedy MLB. Possibly the big guy from Mississippi State. I would like to see a guy closer to a safety brought in - someone like Thomas Davis. Maybe a big, instinctive but 4.6 speed safety and convert him.
    Clay is an interesting piece here. Will he be content to continue playing at ILB if they can't acquire a good player there? He was productive from that spot and I expect they would like him to do whatever they need from him. Some weird things happened with him down the stretch, though -- not getting elected playoff captain and vague comments about why he came out of the NFCC game. I get the sense that there are some other issues going on with him and I can't put a finger on what those are. Is he discontent with the move behind closed doors? Do they feel he's not a leader who's 100% all in all the time?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.