Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: JS ARTICLE "WITH SB IN SIGHT< RODGERS DOES NOT DELIVER

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If I were a coach or player I might agree. But as a fan, seeing my team blow a berth in the Super Bowl is more heartbreaking than another bad loss by a bad Packer team.
    More heartbreaking at the moment, no doubt. But an entire season does not have to be defined entirely by the team's last moment. If someone gives you the choice of experiencing one season and only one season, which would you take, the 2014 Packers or the 1980 Packers?

I just looked at the 2nd half again and in terms of A. Rodgers performance I have him passing 7 of 13 for 63 yards.

Aaron Rodgers was sacked one time in the second half.

The Packers offense had three X Three and Outs.

The Packers offense had one X Four and Out.

He had one run right for 12 yards that helped set up the Mason Crosby's game tying FG late in the 4th Qtr.. That drive took one minute off the clock from 1:19 to :19.

In that drive Aaron Rodgers passed 3 of 5 for 36 yards. Jordy Nelson made two receptions for 15 and 6 yards. Randall Cobb made one reception for 15 yards between Nelson's two receptions..

** In the 4th Qtr. with 6:53 to 4:00 remaining on the clock the Green Bay Packers had two 3 and outs.

Aaron Rodgers passed once in those two series ... the drop by Andrew Quarless on the right sideline on a good throw. That ball had to be caught on a 3rd and 4 from the Green Bay 19 yard line. Aaron Rodgers seemed in disbelief that Andrew Quarless missed that pass. I certainly was.

**I cannot find against Aaron Rodgers in my examination of his play in the second half. His role in that half was obviously limited 'only' making 13 pass's.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-26-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    More heartbreaking at the moment, no doubt. But an entire season does not have to be defined entirely by the team's last moment. If someone gives you the choice of experiencing one season and only one season, which would you take, the 2014 Packers or the 1980 Packers?
    2014. But 61-7 didn't really matter. It was loss #8 in a 10 loss season. The Apococollapse kept the Packers out of the Super Bowl.

You can forget everything earlier and focus on just the final drive. A legend would be cemented by Rodgers driving the team to a final TD, and the win. He started out fantastically, but couldn't seal the deal when the drive fizzled out with two incomplete passes and a throw short of the first down. You can question (second-guess) his decision on each of the final three plays:

- On first down, knowing the critical nature of the situation, and with positive yardage in front of him, gimpy or not, should he have just kept the ball, picked up whatever yardage he could, and not risk the incomplete pass?

- On second down, some say he had lots of running room again, and/or he had Adams wide open on the opposite side. Did he pick the worst of three options?

- On third down, no one else to throw to already in 1st down territory?

We've all seen athletes come through in the most dire of situations, sometimes throwing caution to the wind regarding their own injuries, and doing everything they can to win the game. We've seen athletes make astounding plays, finding opportunities most would not. We've seen athletes take huge gambles to win the game. For whatever reason, Rodgers did none of those in his final three plays. Was he too cautious? Should he have been more daring with his own well-being and with the plays he went to?

I don't know the answers to any of those questions, but there is no disputing that an opportunity to win was there, and Rodgers delivered only the tie, which proved to be inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Both of them occurred while he was in the pocket, so unless changing his ways means spending less time there I am not sure that the recent past would justify a change. If his body were starting to break down then I could see him wanting to change his style, but I don't see evidence that either of these injuries is age related.
    Rodgers may have been in the pocket when he broke his collarbone, but he held on to the ball a long time. I don't recall how he originally injured his calf.

I actually think he showed some improvement this year at getting rid of the ball more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

I don't know the answers to any of those questions, but there is no disputing that an opportunity to win was there, and Rodgers delivered only the tie, which proved to be inadequate.
    Which would be about the same conclusion you would draw about the last offensive drive in ANY close game a team loses. Which makes it virtually useless as analysis.

I think, rather than blame the QB for not being the hero in a situation where the leverage is against him (the one thing the Seattle D couldn't do was allow a TD, it was happy with a FG attempt), is why the coach puts his offense in that situation way too often and usually too early.

Players do need to make plays, but far too often the offense and defense have to reverse course in order to prevent what was unlikely just a few drives before.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Which would be about the same conclusion you would draw about the last offensive drive in ANY close game a team loses. Which makes it virtually useless as analysis.
    No, it is not useless as analysis. In fact, it is very cut a dried, especially if you subscribe to the theory that QBs make the league, team and coach. They are paid for just those situations.

I think, rather than blame the QB for not being the hero in a situation where the leverage is against him (the one thing the Seattle D couldn't do was allow a TD, it was happy with a FG attempt), is why the coach puts his offense in that situation way too often and usually too early.

Players do need to make plays, but far too often the offense and defense have to reverse course in order to prevent what was unlikely just a few drives before.
    No one is BLAMING Rodgers for not coming through; just remarking that as the key player in the most critical situation, he did not deliver. He had the ball in his hand for three consecutive plays and could not gain 10 yards when it was needed the most. I could pass it off like you have, and maybe I should; but for discussion purposes it can not be ignored that he may have made poor decisions in at least two, and maybe all three of the plays.

How about Russell Wilson the two series before, he came through twice when the Packer D could do almost anything but allow TDs. Two separate drives, and they didn't even slow him down.

In many ways, you can ignore everything before that. It all came down to a final drive. some might say he made three successive bad plays, which sealed their fate. In three successive drives in the same situation (perhaps even more dire) Wilson came through again, and again and again.

It's not blame, it's fact. It may not be entirely his fault, but that does not change the fact.

Rodgers may have been in the pocket when he broke his collarbone, but he held on to the ball a long time. I don't recall how he originally injured his calf.

I actually think he showed some improvement this year at getting rid of the ball more quickly.
    Hamstring and calf injuries occurred out of pocket. If we go back to other years, one concussion occurred out of the pocket.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

What are you saying pbmax!? The 'Packer Pucker' really harmed Packer Nation. There's no accounting for all the (hopefully temporary damage) it's done to even the best Packer forum posters.

I don't mean insult pbmax but that post reminds me so much of this fella. How he might view your post? :

Foghorn Leghorn Rant!
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

You can forget everything earlier and focus on just the final drive. A legend would be cemented by Rodgers driving the team to a final TD, and the win. He started out fantastically, but couldn't seal the deal when the drive fizzled out with two incomplete passes and a throw short of the first down. You can question (second-guess) his decision on each of the final three plays:

- On first down, knowing the critical nature of the situation, and with positive yardage in front of him, gimpy or not, should he have just kept the ball, picked up whatever yardage he could, and not risk the incomplete pass?

- On second down, some say he had lots of running room again, and/or he had Adams wide open on the opposite side. Did he pick the worst of three options?

- On third down, no one else to throw to already in 1st down territory?

We've all seen athletes come through in the most dire of situations, sometimes throwing caution to the wind regarding their own injuries, and doing everything they can to win the game. We've seen athletes make astounding plays, finding opportunities most would not. We've seen athletes take huge gambles to win the game. For whatever reason, Rodgers did none of those in his final three plays. Was he too cautious? Should he have been more daring with his own well-being and with the plays he went to?

Before that last drive Vs Seattle:

Aaron Rodgers had 12 game winning drives in 37 opportunities. That's a 32.34 % success rate.

2014. But 61-7 didn't really matter. It was loss #8 in a 10 loss season. The Apococollapse kept the Packers out of the Super Bowl.
    Agreed, 61-7 wasn't the worst defeat in Packer history by any stretch, unless you're just measuring point differential.

Unless the NFL decides to play OT rules for all game starting in the 1st quarter, then one drive is useless to determine whether a QB comes up short.

Parse it for signs of good (or bad) decision making? Sure.

But that is not the point of the article, OP or the previous commentary. Rodgers not delivering a Super Bowl berth covers the entire game and parses each failure along the way. Not to mention that in hindsight the FG was not enough. But it certainly seemed like a good idea at the time. A turnover was death at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    What are you saying pbmax!? The 'Packer Pucker' really harmed Packer Nation. There's no accounting for all the (hopefully temporary damage) it's done to even the best Packer forum posters.

I don't mean insult pbmax but that post reminds me so much of this fella. How he might view your post? :

[viddeo]
    I have no idea how Foghorn Leghorn views the 4 minute offense, but I have long thought that taking the air completely out of the ball is not an ideal strategy. And that in some games, M3 goes too early to this approach. Even in this game, up by more than one score with under 5 minutes left, the clock isn't everything, even if its the most important thing. Possession still counts.

There is a reason McCarthy quoted those run numbers (hopefully he doesn't view it as suggestions). When you have the lead, the offense tends to run more to bleed clock. There can be value to drain TOs and clock even if you gain no yardage, but it does surrender possession and field position, which are costs to the team with the lead.

I have no idea how Foghorn Leghorn views the 4 minute offense, but I have long thought that taking the air completely out of the ball is not an ideal strategy. And that in some games, M3 goes too early to this approach. Even in this game, up by more than one score with under 5 minutes left, the clock isn't everything, even if its the most important thing. Possession still counts.

There is a reason McCarthy quoted those run numbers (hopefully he doesn't view it as suggestions). When you have the lead, the offense tends to run more to bleed clock. There can be value to drain TOs and clock even if you gain no yardage, but it does surrender possession and field position, which are costs to the team with the lead.
    It sure looks to me that with 7:07 remaining in the 4th quarter a decision was made to remove Clay Matthews from the game. For something around 20 minutes 'real time' Clay was on the sidelines and for part of that wearing his Winter toque (2:57 remaining in the 4th Qtr.) that does come off as he's looking mighty concerned with (2:01) remaining in the 4th Qtr.

1-10-GB 35 (2:01) 24-M.Lynch right end to GB 32 for 3 yards (42-M.Burnett).

Two plays later Marshawn Lynch is in the end zone for six...and that followed by:

TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. 3-R.Wilson pass to 82-L.Willson is complete. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.

The SCORE Seattle 22 - Green Bay 19.

Unless the NFL decides to play OT rules for all game starting in the 1st quarter, then one drive is useless to determine whether a QB comes up short.

But that is not the point of the article, OP or the previous commentary. Rodgers not delivering a Super Bowl berth covers the entire game and parses each failure along the way. Not to mention that in hindsight the FG was not enough. But it certainly seemed like a good idea at the time. A turnover was death at that point.
    A turnover then or anytime thereafter was pretty much it, as was a turnover during any of the three previous plays. You can't play the game expecting to turn it over if you play anyway but the most cautiously.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    It sure looks to me that with 7:07 remaining in the 4th quarter a decision was made to remove Clay Matthews from the game. For something around 20 minutes 'real time' Clay was on the sidelines and for part of that wearing his Winter toque (2:57 remaining in the 4th Qtr.) that does come off as he's looking mighty concerned with (2:01) remaining in the 4th Qtr.

1-10-GB 35 (2:01) 24-M.Lynch right end to GB 32 for 3 yards (42-M.Burnett).

Two plays later Marshawn Lynch is in the end zone for six...and that followed by:

TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. 3-R.Wilson pass to 82-L.Willson is complete. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.

The SCORE Seattle 22 - Green Bay 19.

Where was Rodgers when all this failure was happening? Why didn't he stop it?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

A turnover then or anytime thereafter was pretty much it, as was a turnover during any of the three previous plays. You can't play the game expecting to turn it over if you play anyway but the most cautiously.
    Once you are in FG territory, a TO is a game reversal, game ending error.

Prior to being in FG territory, its game ending only.

Not to mention that I think the article starts its own clock ticking after the Super Bowl win.

If only Rodgers was a better winner when the game was close, between 4 and 7 points.

Oh, and we will just gloss over the "solid" qualification for his play in the Chicago NFC Championship Game when he was terrible after the undiagnosed concussion Peppers gave him.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Upon further review, Bob McGinn is a cock. If he were posting on Packerrats, KY would be screaming to have Madtown ban him for being a troll. Bob probably has some "Ted trapped in the closet" poetry somewhere in the back of his desk.

"Today's NFL is set up as a quarterback's game. He has the ball in his hands on every play. No one can affect the scoreboard like him."
    - Well, Bob, not actually. The Center has his hand on every offensive play. Interestingly, the Packers lost because Rodgers was NOT on the field for any of the defensive snaps, or the ST play where Bostick couldn't recover.
    Bob doesn't like the blame game, except when he gets to assign blame.
    Bob, except for his scouting report and post-game rating (and even sometimes in those) has turned into a poking internet troll. Fortunately, unlike KY/Tank, I can mostly ignore him.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Your passion for Aaron Rodgers is noted. If your so confident why are you cursing?
    I guess I curse here just to fit in with the rest.