Thread: McCarthy moves to get him closer to the team

McCarthy moves to get him closer to the team

Relinquishing his play calling duties were intended to bring him closer to other parts of the team. Now he is setting up a secondary office nearer the team:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...292845151.html

McCarthy can't guarantee that the changes he has made will get the Packers to the Super Bowl next season, but he said his influence over the total operation would grow under his new plan. He no longer will be immersed in play-calling preparation during the week and will be focused on leading his team.

To that end, he is moving his office — or at least adding an additional one — closer to the locker room and meeting rooms. He will be there for players or coaches when an issue arises and he'll be there to make sure his coaching plan is being followed.
    MM once commented several years ago that his office was extremely nice, but seemed too far removed from the team. He said it was a hike just to get to the locker room, meeting rooms and other coaches. This seems to be something that has been weighing on his mind for a while.

The guy really focuses on details.

The informal interviews M3 gives at the Combine and the League Meetings (Spring/Summer?) (talking informal ones with the beat guys only, not the big PC) are M3 at his best. There is a Janis article mentioned somewhere on this site, Patler has the office story above from that same conversation and here is a quote about why it wasn't the Seattle playoff game that caused him to give up playcalling, including the best sarcastic agreement/dismissal he has ever concocted:

But when asked if he thought the Packers would have advanced to Super Bowl XLIX had he not been as focused on the offense, McCarthy replied: “I don’t know. I think it’s great – is this literature we’re participating in? I think it’s great writing, it’s a great story. I don’t know how you can think like that. I think it makes a great story but that’s not reality.”

Told that it’s natural to think about what one could have done differently when a situation doesn’t go his or her way, McCarthy said it was the season-opening loss, in which there were a series of miscommunications between the coaching staff and the players, that he thought about when he considered the play-calling change.

“Being very frank about it – and I haven’t told anybody this – if there was a Seattle game that made me make a change like that, it would have been the first one, not the last one,” said McCarthy, whose team had only 10 defensive players on the field during one of running back Marshawn Lynch’s two touchdown runs that night. “The things that went on in that game were very frustrating to me. Think about it.
    http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/...&post_id=47501
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Wonder if Stubby will go ahead and move Caper's desk to "Storage B"

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck