Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: interesting article...clay: quit or benched?

interesting article...clay: quit or benched?

Pinny Kahana @PinnyKahana11
    Follow
    @RobDemovsky #packersmail why was Matthews off the field at the end of the 4th Q??????????????????!!!!!!!!!?????????
    10:50 AM - 23 Jan 2015

Demovsky: That remains the biggest mystery from Sunday's game. Clay Matthews was not on the field for either of the Seattle Seahawks' final two drives of regulation. I remember looking across the field from the press box during the last drive and in my binoculars, I could see Matthews trying to get his legs loose. However, there was no injury announcement made, either in the press box or by the team after the game, and Matthews returned to play the only possession of overtime. After the game, Matthews was asked if his leg was bothering him, and he told reporters: "Yeah, it was a medley of things just catching up to me. Fortunately, I worked with the trainers a little bit during that last drive and was able to get back out there for overtime." Asked about it after the game, coach Mike McCarthy had no explanation. Also, Matthews did not talk to reporters Monday, when the players cleaned out their lockers. It will be asked during McCarthy's season-ending press conference, which could take place this week.

It would be nice to get an explanation. The most likely answer in my opinion would be that he was cramping up. That would explain why there was no obvious injury, and why he was able to come back in overtime. The funeral for Mike McCarthy's brother is Monday. MM I believe still has exit interviews to do with coaches, so I would guess his next PC might be on Thursday.

I have heard some people say that Clay said he was just spent, physically, emotionally, and mentally. I am not really a Clay fan, but I can understand this. He was playing hard and fired up, sometimes people just shutdown.

Blog Entries
    the silence is concerning
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    the silence is concerning
    http://www.totalpackers.com/2015/01/...clay-matthews/

Mum’s the Word on Clay Matthews

" At some point soon we should find out if any of the local media hacks are even worth the tiniest shit. McCarthy’s season-ending news conference, which was supposed to be held on Wednesday, is being rescheduled. .......

It’s almost as if the Packers are hiding something — either protecting their coaches or protecting Matthews from scorn.

Not to worry though. You can bet your ass we’ve still got one heaping helping of scorn left for someone when we get to the bottom of this. "
    Fr. Article

Comment woodbuck27:

Is the author of this article from total Packers also ...Shawn Neuser?

Why was CM III on the sidelines for those two criticle series and such a long rest at the end of the game?

My guess. The Packers coaching staff were protecting him for the Super Bowl game. The only thing missing from the happy gang mood and sideline celebration and Matthews was a part of that was this:

Mike McCarthy has a shit storm of damage control to conjure up for likely sometime late this week or after the Super Bowl when the mood of Packer Nation will in all likelihood be really hot.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-25-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I have heard some people say that Clay said he was just spent, physically, emotionally, and mentally. I am not really a Clay fan, but I can understand this. He was playing hard and fired up, sometimes people just shutdown.
    He said that in response to a question about how he felt after losing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    He said that in response to a question about how he felt after losing the game.
    Was the video on the Packer website?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

It will be interesting to observe Clay Mathews in the Pro Bowl Game this evening.

He was sitting at a table with Jordy Nelson, John Kuhn and I think Randall Cobb during the Pro Bowl Draft coverage.

I don't recall seeing Josh Sitton at that table.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Video:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ith-other-team

Clay Matthews celebrates opposing team member Jordy Nelson's TD @ 2015 Pro Bowl Game.

By: John Breech | CBSSports.com

January 25, 2015 9:46 pm ET
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-25-2015 at 09:56 PM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Woulda been nice had Bostick made the Probowl on the team opposite Clay. Would have liked to see that 'reception' over the middle.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Pro Bowl is unwatchable with Carter and Irvin involved. Could they pick two guys I hated more in the NFL?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Sapp and Neon

I examing this right now.

I've looked at the penalty call on Clay Matthews (3rd Qtr.) when he tackled Seattle WR Doug Baldwin and 'NO WAY' does he use a hand to Baldwin's face. He simply makes a hard clean tackle.

Why? that penalty was called by the Officials ( later declined ) is utterly amazing. That tackle was absolutely clean.

3-19-GB 48 (6:51) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 19 for 29 yards (52-C.Matthews). Penalty on GB-52-C.Matthews, Illegal Use of Hands, declined.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I examing this right now.

I've looked at the penalty call on Clay Matthews (3rd Qtr.) when he tackled Seattle WR Doug Baldwin and 'NO WAY' does he use a hand to Baldwin's face. He simply makes a hard clean tackle.

Why? that penalty was called by the Officials ( later declined ) is utterly amazing. That tackle was absolutely clean.

3-19-GB 48 (6:51) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 19 for 29 yards (52-C.Matthews). Penalty on GB-52-C.Matthews, Illegal Use of Hands, declined.
    If it were during the tackle, it would have been added on as a personal foul/facemask. Since it was illegal contact before the catch, the penalty can be accepted or declined.

My final analysis of this question of why Clay Matthews was on the sidelines from 7:01 remaining in the 4th qtr.;

It looks to me like that decision was made to rest Clay Matthews or to ensure no injury.

The decision was made because MM and/or Dom Capers must have believed that the game was in the bag. That sort of thinking makes no sense.

That was a gross error that should be accounted for. How is Mike McCarthy going to explain that away?

Clay Matthews was returned to the field in Overtime. In the final Seattle series that led to the winning TD; for the most part Clay Matthews, Morgan Burnett and Julius Peppers were on the field. I 'm pretty sure that Peppers was on the sideline for the final TD play. He looked stunned as he knelt after the game was over. So did Aaron Rodgers and many other Packers. This game was simply given away. You don't sit your best defensive player until the final whistle when he's available.

Another huge error on the last TD play.

Tramon Williams wasn't given any backup over the top. He was left alone to cover WR Jermaine Kearse. The closest DB to that play and about 12 yards up field was Safety Sean Richardson.

It looks to me like that decision was made to rest Clay Matthews or to ensure no injury.
    Ensure: the choice of injury-free LBs everywhere.

My final analysis of this question of why Clay Matthews was on the sidelines from 7:01 remaining in the 4th qtr.;

The decision was made because MM and/or Dom Capers must have believed that the game was in the bag. That sort of thinking makes no sense.

That was a gross error that should be accounted for. How is Mike McCarthy going to explain that away?

Clay Matthews was returned to the field in Overtime. In the final Seattle series that led to the winning TD; for the most part Clay Matthews, Morgan Burnett and Julius Peppers were on the field. I 'm pretty sure that Peppers was on the sideline for the final TD play. He looked stunned as he knelt after the game was over. So did Aaron Rodgers and many other Packers. This game was simply given away. You don't sit your best defensive player until the final whistle when he's available.

Another huge error on the last TD play.

Tramon Williams wasn't given any backup over the top. He was left alone to cover WR Jermaine Kearse. The closest DB to that play and about 12 yards up field was Safety Sean Richardson.
    In my final analysis of the game I'm convinced Special Teams really fucked the Packers chances of winning. Fire Slocum now.
    C.H.U.D.

More useful for a Packer win in Seattle

with 7 minutes remaining in the 4th Qtr.

We needed to see this:

and more of this:

and this:

Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-27-2015 at 07:52 PM.