Thread: Packers 2015 Offseason News and Notes non Draft non FA Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I think the defense could use one guy like him....funny, I don't remember him getting stoopid penalties for late hits like some guys do. He seemed smart, just effin' crazy. Be fun to see Marshawn Lynch try to run through him.
    Even as recent as then, officiating wasn't as nit-picky as now on late hits or the type of tackle made. Continuing after the whistle to finish a tackle was tolerated if not excessively late or excessively rough. What was done to get a guy to the ground wasn't scrutinized except for face mask grabbing. The "horse-collar" tackle was OK until 2005. Illegal contact rules in pass coverage were more lax than today. If rules and enforcement had been the same then as now, I think he would have gotten a lot of penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Even as recent as then, officiating wasn't as nit-picky as now on late hits or the type of tackle made. Continuing after the whistle to finish a tackle was tolerated if not excessively late or excessively rough. What was done to get a guy to the ground wasn't scrutinized except for face mask grabbing. The "horse-collar" tackle was OK until 2005. Illegal contact rules in pass coverage were more lax than today. If rules and enforcement had been the same then as now, I think he would have gotten a lot of penalties.
    True - unless he would have been able to modify his style. I'm not sure if he could have, but perhaps he could. He'd have had to learn how to hit in the particular way this is acceptable now.

But he still coulda blown up Marshawn Lynch.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    True - unless he would have been able to modify his style. I'm not sure if he could have, but perhaps he could. He'd have had to learn how to hit in the particular way this is acceptable now.

But he still coulda blown up Marshawn Lynch.
    I woulda been content if he stayed on the field with four minutes left
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck