Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers 2015 Offseason News and Notes non Draft non FA Edition

Q makes himself sound foolish when he says he considers himself in the upper echelon of TEs. I have no issue with him saying he's striving for that goal but you don't say it unless you can back it up and I don't think he can. IMO he's an average NFL TE. We'll never know how much that brutal injury robbed him of his potential.

If you read only the one sentence, it sounds a bit pompous. If you read the entire quote, especially in the context of the entire article and his other comments, I think it is very clear that he was saying that he sees himself capable of being in that group, so he is working hard to get there. I don't think there is a doubt in his mind that he can and needs to get better.

Another example of a single statement out of the context doing a disservice to the subject.

Well, I can't put this in the "Can't stay out of jail" thread.

Colt Lyerla ‏@LongLiveLyerla 6m6 minutes ago
    My DUI case from Oct was officially DISMISSED today. S/O 2 the justice system for allowing me 2 prove my innocence.
    Thanking the #GoodVibes
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    GoodVibes comes through again.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

we cut him right?

wouldn't mind him coming back for camp

He's one dog that cannot learn new tricks. Unfortunately, the things that are wrong with him are in his head and 100% cemented.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 3h3 hours ago
    #Packers not likely to pick up fifth-year option on Nick Perry. Decision must be made by Sunday.
    http://es.pn/1EJepaW
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    not a 3-4 fit
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    not a 3-4 fit
    Especially mentally. Never wanted to play for a 3-4 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Especially mentally. Never wanted to play for a 3-4 team.
    Show me the full quote.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Perry not a fit for a 3-4 is still nonsense and has always been nonsense. He's a pass rusher who spends the vast majority of snaps rushing the passer. Perry not setting the world on fire has little to do with fit.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Perry not a fit for a 3-4 is still nonsense and has always been nonsense. He's a pass rusher who spends the vast majority of snaps rushing the passer. Perry not setting the world on fire has little to do with fit.
    Unless he lacks the ability to rush the passer out of a 2 point stance. This was Kampman's issue. It might be a problem for Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Unless he lacks the ability to rush the passer out of a 2 point stance. This was Kampman's issue. It might be a problem for Perry.
    Kampman could no longer rush the passer with a hand on the ground either. He declined steadily in 2008 in our 4-3 and never looked any better after going back to a 4-3 in Jacksonville.

The problem with Kampman was everything other than rushing the passer. And staying healthy, of course.

Kampman was always a solid run defender. He had about a two year window during which he was very good rushing the passer, but I think linemen figured him out, because he didn't generate as consistent pressure his last season at DE for the Packers as he had previous years. I actually thought his one year as a LB for the Packers resulted in more consistent pressure than the previous year, even though he didn't get home for sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Kampman was always a solid run defender. He had about a two year window during which he was very good rushing the passer, but I think linemen figured him out, because he didn't generate as consistent pressure his last season at DE for the Packers as he had previous years. I actually thought his one year as a LB for the Packers resulted in more consistent pressure than the previous year, even though he didn't get home for sacks.
    If I remember correctly, his pressure statistics that LB year backed that up. He was getting close a lot, but not getting home. Like Clay in his third or fourth year.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I remember that, a little like Perry, Kampman's best pass rushing move that one year was his bull rush, which is what Capers and Greene teach/taught first.

Perry has struggled to master a second move, Kampman might have with more time. But he had little interest in doing so.

Perry's issue was that his style didn't match his best physical traits. He was a KGB-style speed rusher in college but was built like a brick shithouse. You'd like to see him be able to go through a guy with all that size and strength. I think they drafted him hoping they could turn him into Shawne Merriman. Obviously he's not elite like that but has transformed himself a bit into that mold. He's stout as hell against the run and a lot more physical in his pass rush. I think he's a better rusher than his sack numbers would indicate. I hope they find a way to resign him.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Perry's issue was that his style didn't match his best physical traits. He was a KGB-style speed rusher in college but was built like a brick shithouse. You'd like to see him be able to go through a guy with all that size and strength. I think they drafted him hoping they could turn him into Shawne Merriman. Obviously he's not elite like that but has transformed himself a bit into that mold. He's stout as hell against the run and a lot more physical in his pass rush. I think he's a better rusher than his sack numbers would indicate. I hope they find a way to resign him.
    One of the fan blogs actually wrote that his problem is that he is assignment unsound and then cannot recover due to issues with lateral quickness.

I have rarely seen him out of position but his lateral quickness does come into play when changing direction or pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    One of the fan blogs actually wrote that his problem is that he is assignment unsound and then cannot recover due to issues with lateral quickness.

I have rarely seen him out of position but his lateral quickness does come into play when changing direction or pursuit.
    When a guy runs a 4.5 at 270 lbs, benches 35 reps, jumps 38 inches, and gets drafted in the 1st round what he does in coverage or pursuit is icing on the cake. That man's only path to being considered a success should be what he does one-on-one rushing the passer and all I'm saying is that if you can do that you're a fit anywhere. Perry's game is only worth picking apart because he hasn't become the elite pass rusher you hoped for when you drafted him in the first round. If he was good in pursuit he'd be Shea McClellan and still not worth a first round pick. That said Perry's not a full-blown bust either. He is way more useful on a football field than McClellan.