Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could sign only one, would it be Bulaga or Cobb?

If you could sign only one, would it be Bulaga or Cobb?

assume you can sign just one, would you sign Bulaga or Cobb. Some background on how each performed in 2014, and what it might cost to sign them:

About Bulaga:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...290024481.html

About Cobb:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...290025191.html

Tough choice, but if I could sign only one, I think it would be Bulaga. As they say, it all starts up front.

Cobb's ability to get open when Rodgers is under pressure would be sorely missed. More than Bulaga in my opinion. The Packers have some depth on the OL with Barclay coming back, who although not as good as Bulaga is a serviceable RT. And it looks like a pretty good year for OT's in the draft.

That one is easy:

TT has to sign Randall Cobb. He's an ascending flexible multi-talented strong offensive weapon.

He's arguably headed to being the teams legitimate NO. 1 WR. After him and Jordy Nelson and inspite of the promise Devante Adams showed in a rookie season; we have little guarantee at the position regarding depth.

The strength of the team is obviously on Offense. Randall Cobb played at a Pro Bowl level.

As good of a season as RT Bryan Bulaga had in 2014; his past injury history (hip and knee) and missing > 50 % or 27 of 53 of his games 2012-14 is a risk exceeding Randal Cobb's and the question of availability.

With an either / or question:

Sign WR Randall Cobb.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

It really depends on how much they each want. Absent cost, I think having Bulaga is more important to the offense.

GB seems to be able to find WRs whenever they really need one. I'm not suggesting that Cobb would be easy to replace, nor that he can be replaced in kind, but history suggests that the Packers could find someone useful enough that the offense wouldn't be slowed appreciably, even if it would be different.

On the other hand, GB has gone through a long list of OL draft picks and FAs, and only now seem to have a complete group of 5 starters that are adequate. Barclay is coming back from an ACL injury and was mediocre at best before the injury. Tretter is a big question mark at any position, and particularly anywhere but center.

Both players have an injury history, even if Bulaga has missed more games. I don't see a huge difference there.

Since the OL has a profound impact on Rodgers in the passing game, and on the running game regardless, I would still go with Bulaga and be confident that they will find a pass-catcher good enough for the offense to continue at a high level.

I will admit to personal bias, because as many of you know, I consider highly paid WRs to be very much over-valued from a salary cap management perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    GB seems to be able to find WRs whenever they really need one. I'm not suggesting that Cobb would be easy to replace, nor that he can be replaced in kind, but history suggests that the Packers could find someone useful enough that the offense wouldn't be slowed appreciably, even if it would be different.

On the other hand, GB has gone through a long list of OL draft picks and FAs, and only now seem to have a complete group of 5 starters that are adequate. Barclay is coming back from an ACL injury and was mediocre at best before the injury. Tretter is a big question mark at any position, and particularly anywhere but center.

Both players have an injury history, even if Bulaga has missed more games. I don't see a huge difference there.

Since the OL has a profound impact on Rodgers in the passing game, and on the running game regardless, I would still go with Bulaga and be confident that they will find a pass-catcher good enough for the offense to continue at a high level.

I will admit to personal bias, because as many of you know, I consider highly paid WRs to be very much over-valued from a salary cap management perspective.
    OK so if it goes your way and Randall Cobb signs with Seattle.

How would that make you feel? Doesn't your stomach turn over just a little bit?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post

Cobb's not signing with Seattle, that's just a scare tactic from you. They have to sign Wilson and Cliff Avril so that's going to eat up a big chunk of their cap that's available and they won't be able to spend the money that it would take to be in Cobb's salary range.

I'm torn on this one as both are very valuable to Rodgers' success. I'm going with Cobb. While they Pack have been able to get WRs, Cobb just seems to know what to do when Rodgers starts moving and just gets open and they are just on the same page. It's hard to find that in a WR. I figure that the Packers can just sign a Badgers OL player any year and lock up the T spot. I don't know why that's so hard for TT to see.

EDIT: I'm just wondering what TT is going to do about 2019. Only Rodgers is signed for that year.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Bulaga's position is more important for the Packers offense, and TT has had a harder time filling it. That said, if they went to the draft for Cobb's replacement it would be at least a year before the replacement was ready to contribute at Cobb's current level. It is possible that a healthy Barclay could replace Bulaga and do an adequate job, but that leaves them awfully thin on the OL. My answer to the OP question is a resounding "yes!"

Not any more so than if Bulaga signs with the Bears.
    I really hope they find a way to re-sign both, but if it comes down to one or the other, I want Bulaga in GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Cobb's not signing with Seattle, that's just a scare tactic from you. They have to sign Wilson and Cliff Avril so that's going to eat up a big chunk of their cap that's available and they won't be able to spend the money that it would take to be in Cobb's salary range.

I'm torn on this one as both are very valuable to Rodgers' success. I'm going with Cobb. While they Pack have been able to get WRs, Cobb just seems to know what to do when Rodgers starts moving and just gets open and they are just on the same page. It's hard to find that in a WR. I figure that the Packers can just sign a Badgers OL player any year and lock up the T spot. I don't know why that's so hard for TT to see.

EDIT: I'm just wondering what TT is going to do about 2019. Only Rodgers is signed for that year.
    A scare tactic from me!? Are you serious?

Cliff Avril had 23 Tackles, 5 Sacks and 1 FF.

If I could replace that with Randall Cobb I'm going for it.

Not any more so than if Bulaga signs with the Bears.
    I really hope they find a way to re-sign both, but if it comes down to one or the other, I want Bulaga in GB.
    Randall Cobb on the formidable Seattle Seahawks is much more intimidating that Bryan Bulaga on the weak Chicago Bears.

Cobb won't do much good if Rodgers doesn't get time for Cobb to get open. Much of his best play occurs when the play is extended.

I want Bulaga signed more than Cobb because I'm sick of OL changes every year giving Campen cover when the OL starts off blocking like complete dog shit. No excuses this year.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Just as Teddy replaced Greg Jennings with Randall Cobb, and James Jones with Davante Adams, and Jermichael Finley with Richard Rodgers, so he will replace Cobb with Jared Abbrederis or a 4th round draft pick to be named later, like Tyler Lockette of Kansas State.

In fact, why not continue the trend and let Bulaga go as well? Teddy could easily draft Rob Havenstein in the 4th round and plug him into Bulaga's spot at RT.

Life goes on.

[I can't decide if this post is sarcasm or not.]
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    A scare tactic from me!? Are you serious?

Cliff Avril had 23 Tackles, 5 Sacks and 1 FF.

If I could replace that with Randall Cobb I'm going for it.
    Whoops, I forgot that Avril already got his contract extension about a month ago. Oh, and he's rated in the top 10 in 4-3 DEs in the league. You forgot his 38 QB hurries this season. Incredibly disruptive player.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Randall Cobb on the formidable Seattle Seahawks is much more intimidating that Bryan Bulaga on the weak Chicago Bears.
    That may be, but I don't worry about who the other team has, only who "my" team has. Putting myself in the position of a GM (and I have been involved in player procurement for select teams in the past) I never worried about which players anyone else signed, because I can't control that. If we decided not to pursue a player, I never worried about another team that did. No point in it.

Let's say the Packers would need to offer Cobb $10M/year and Bulaga $9M/year to have a chance of retaining both. I have no clue what that would mean for their salary cap numbers. Does doing that mean they have to let both Williams and House go? Does it jeopardize their ability to re-sign Sitton next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Whoops, I forgot that Avril already got his contract extension about a month ago. Oh, and he's rated in the top 10 in 4-3 DEs in the league. You forgot his 38 QB hurries this season. Incredibly disruptive player.
    Yes any discussion RE the ? and Seattle's Cliff Avril is moot but all the same:

38 QB hurries. It looks like you used ROTOWORLD as your reference. I don't see that Stat. ie on NFL.Com.

Salary-cap space was freed up after the trade of WR Percy Harvin to the NY Jets and Seattle locked up K.J. Wright and Cliff Avril in Dec. 2014.

I feel somehow the Green Bay Packers must keep pace with Seattle. Then again it was Seattle and San Francisco and their wheels fell off last season.

Seattle now has RDE Cliff Avril, LDE Michael Bennett, ROLB K.J. Wright, SS Cam Chancellor, LCB Sherman, and FS Earl Thomas all signed long term.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...agents-by-team

Seattle 2015 FA's include RCB Byron Maxwell who may be a priority.

I do understand the importance of the OL and RT and protecting Aaron Rodgers on that side. The fact remains that Randall Cobb is a main hookup for Rodgers and I'll be sad it if he leaves via FA.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.

That may be, but I don't worry about who the other team has, only who "my" team has. Putting myself in the position of a GM (and I have been involved in player procurement for select teams in the past) I never worried about which players anyone else signed, because I can't control that. If we decided not to pursue a player, I never worried about another team that did. No point in it.
    Randall Cobb and Bryan Bulaga are both TT draft picks. Drafted and developed in the Packer system and both have to a more or less extent succeeded. Randal Cobb is a special player and offensive weapon who desires like Bryan Bulaga to remain with the team that drafted him.

We know that based on the past. Ted Thompson (by the channels that exists) will make an offer to them and see how they make out in Free Agency. I see that today TT has some real control and may offer each of these players appreciation. He can choose to make an offer that one/both may very well accept.

TT simply must get in gear and set his priorities..... yesterday. If you were the GM of this team wouldn't you have al that worked out?
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-28-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Just as Teddy replaced Greg Jennings with Randall Cobb, and James Jones with Davante Adams, and Jermichael Finley with Richard Rodgers, so he will replace Cobb with Jared Abbrederis or a 4th round draft pick to be named later, like Tyler Lockette of Kansas State.
    But that's not really what TT did. He signed Jennings, Jones, and Finley to deals after their rookie contracts were up. Cobb leaving now would break that mold. Draft & develop. Cobb is hitting his prime, not the TT way to let him walk now. He'll get the deal done.