Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you could sign only one, would it be Bulaga or Cobb?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    A scare tactic from me!? Are you serious?

Cliff Avril had 23 Tackles, 5 Sacks and 1 FF.

If I could replace that with Randall Cobb I'm going for it.
    If you watch Cliff Avril and you only see those numbers, you are missing most of his game.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Easy for me...Cobb. I'm not saying I don't want Bulaga, I just think Cobb is more rare at his position than Bulaga is at his. I hope they are both signed.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If you watch Cliff Avril and you only see those numbers, you are missing most of his game.
    I'm not missing much on Cliff Avril when I watch Seattle play. I key on him and on several of the Seattle defenders reviewing recordings.

pbmax:

How would you compare Cliff Avril's contribution to the Seattle defense in terms of his pass and run defense?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I'm not missing much on Cliff Avril when I watch Seattle play. I key on him and on several of the Seattle defenders reviewing recordings.

pbmax:

How would you compare Cliff Avril's contribution to the Seattle defense in terms of his pass and run defense?
    With 30+ pressures, he (and Michael Bennet) are their pass rush, and a four man pass rush makes that defense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

You have Aaron Rodgers.

That makes the choice easy. You keep Bulaga and ensure having a deep, talented OL to protect him.

While Cobb is a fabulous talent, a QB like Rodgers can make average talents look pretty damn good if he has an OL to protect him.

That said...with $30M+ available to spend if Thompson does the right thing and takes an axe to the deadwood on the roster...there is no need to have to make the choice. You keep both.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I choose Cobbulaga!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Blog Entries
    It's going to be tough to shoehorn those contracts in our salary structure. Bulaga was at 4 mil last season. What kind of deal will he get on the market that we will have to match?

+ Bulaga was a 1st round pick, Cobb a 2. TT likes to roll his own and keep his roster intact. At least one of his high draft choices will walk. That's gotta be a tough call for Thompson.

My gut says Cobb, but man, it's right down the middle on this one.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    yep, tough call. Cobb is everything you want in a player in GB. He's passionate and dedicated. Does everything they ask, from anywhere on the field. Makes plays. Is in tune with Rodgers. Bulaga has just made strides where he is no longer troubled all that much by speed rushers. Good anchor on the right side. Willing blocker. Bulaga is a good not great tackle. Cobb is a good, instinctual WR, but is not a guy who gets separation all on his own. Both are security blankets on the O for their own different reasons.

Usually by this time TT would have them signed up. It sounded like for sure they were negotiating with Cobb. I'm betting other teams see Bulaga as a bigger need and Cobb as a fit for the GB offense, and not necessarily the guy for their offense. But there are offenses like Denver and NE who love a guy like Cobb.

I gotta do with Dyoop: Keep Cobbulaga!!!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I actually don't think declining on Cobb would be the worst thing if.... We used the money to completely shore up ILB and a TE to help our Red Zone offense... Keep Bulaga and Raji. Keep Peppers at more of an incentive laden contract and then take a WR early....

Blog Entries
    The semi-scary part of this is those deals are now over. Usually, TT announces a contract extension or new deal before that happens. When our players hit FA, they are pretty much gone. Some guys make it to contract end and resign (Hawk? Neal?), but not many.

That may not hold in these cases, these are big multi-year deals which impact a big part of our salary make-up.

I really think we can only do one of these "big boys". One major deal and we will barely have room to address other players, the rooks (less of a problem now) and Peppers. The "we've got 35 million in room" is more of a phantom than people think.

The semi-scary part of this is those deals are now over. Usually, TT announces a contract extension or new deal before that happens. When our players hit FA, they are pretty much gone. Some guys make it to contract end and resign (Hawk? Neal?), but not many.

That may not hold in these cases, these are big multi-year deals which impact a big part of our salary make-up.

I really think we can only do one of these "big boys". One major deal and we will barely have room to address other players, the rooks (less of a problem now) and Peppers. The "we've got 35 million in room" is more of a phantom than people think.
    Technically, Hawk, Bulaga, Jones and Shields have gotten to FA but re-signed. So its possible at that late date. Bulaga is the concern there. He might be the highest rated tackle and might attract very early, very dumb money. Cobb has more competition.

A lot might depend on what Peppers is willing to do to lower that number. You know Capers and M3 want the big guy back.

It's going to be tough to shoehorn those contracts in our salary structure. Bulaga was at 4 mil last season. What kind of deal will he get on the market that we will have to match?

+ Bulaga was a 1st round pick, Cobb a 2. TT likes to roll his own and keep his roster intact. At least one of his high draft choices will walk. That's gotta be a tough call for Thompson.

It would be unheard of for TT to let Cobb or Bulaga go. When TT drafts players who turn out to be really good, they always get a 2nd contract. They might not get a 3rd, but they always get a 2nd. I'd be shocked if he lets Cobb get away. I'd be slightly less surprised if he let Bulaga go. TT can save about 18 million by letting Tramon, Hawk, B. Jones and Bush go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It would be unheard of for TT to let Cobb or Bulaga go. WTT can save about 18 million by letting hen TT drafts players who turn out to be really good, they always get a 2nd contract. They might not get a 3rd, but they always get a 2nd. I'd be shocked if he lets Cobb get away. I'd be slightly less surprised if he let Bulaga go. Tramon, Hawk, B. Jones and Bush go.
    Each man in that latter group has lost physicality, quickness, and overall speed. I'd take Bush and Tramon (At a smaller, shorter contract).

AJ & Jones?

Hawk should retire and Jonesy should move on to a team where he can play effectively. I have no idea where that team is.

Each man in that latter group has lost physicality, quickness, and overall speed. I'd take Bush and Tramon (At a smaller, shorter contract).

AJ & Jones?

Hawk should retire and Jonesy should move on to a team where he can play effectively. I have no idea where that team is.
    Has Brad Jones ever considered lawn bowling?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Has Brad Jones ever considered lawn bowling?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

No contest - Cobb.

Buluga is just another 1st round JAG. Not a bust, but not a great player either - average.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    You have Aaron Rodgers.

That makes the choice easy. You keep Bulaga and ensure having a deep, talented OL to protect him.

While Cobb is a fabulous talent, a QB like Rodgers can make average talents look pretty damn good if he has an OL to protect him.

That said...with $30M+ available to spend if Thompson does the right thing and takes an axe to the deadwood on the roster...there is no need to have to make the choice. You keep both.

How long have we longed for an O line that can protect The Franchise? If we keep Bulaga we just might end up with one of the top O lines in the league.

I too hope we can keep both.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    No contest - Cobb.

Buluga is just another 1st round JAG. Not a bust, but not a great player either - average.
    JAG?? Some would disagree with you on that. From the JSO article I linked:
    According to Pro Football Focus, the only right tackles to have better overall years than Bulaga were New England's Sebastian Vollmer, Philadelphia's Lane Johnson and Baltimore's Ricky Wagner. And Wagner was the only right tackle with a higher pass blocking grade than Bulaga.

Most would disagree on wist's viewpoint of Bulaga.

Bulaga is certainly not JAG. I can agree with the sentiment that he isn't great, simply because he hasn't been been able to play consistently like he did in 2014. Whether it is injury or changing position or whatever...he's had periods of mediocrity that count against him. However, I believe his play in 2014 proves that he has settled in at RT and can play at a very high level if he can stay on the field.

Someone who is JAG does not play at a high level for any noteworthy period of time.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I vote for Cobb.

I like Bulaga, but his injury history is the determining factor for me.