Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Projected Franchise tag salaries - by positions

Projected Franchise tag salaries - by positions

I don't know if anyone has posted this or not.
    These are projected salaries, not official.

Position/Salary

Quarterback - $18.51 million

Running back - $10.93 million

Wide receiver - $12.80 million

Tight end - $8.33 million

Offensive lineman - 12.92 million

Defensive tackle - $11.17 million

Defensive end - $14.78 million

Linebacker - $13.17 million

Cornerback - $13.05 million

Safety - $9.60 million

Kicker/punter - $4.12 million

Be careful:

Is it a category 'A' or 'B' or 'C or 'D' or.......whatever category post or a legitimately unique thread topic?

You have to look both ways over your shoulder here now before electing to post a thread.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

The WR number just seems stupid.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Keep in mind that the franchise tag is the number the league sets, or 120% of what the player made in the previous year, whichever is higher. So although the franchise tag for DT's is 11.2 million, for Suh it's about 26 million.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Don't all of the numbers seem stupid. The money these top players get is insane.

Taking the 'gotta swallow it' pill.

It's a passing game now. WR's run routes to secure pass's and YAC.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Stupider than the CB number?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    If you had a big time Tight End you'd be in business. Otherwise it's just ridiculous all around. 26 million for Detroit to franchise Suh? Where's he gonna end up? Seattle? That'd be brutal. They should dump Beastmode and sign Suh. Although he could be one screw-up away from being out of the league for a year. He also could be the missing link to one of the best defenses since the '85 Bears. I sure hope Wilson costs 'em a ton of money and soon because the Pack needs them to lose some talent not get more.

Packers need them to sign Beastmode for big money and then he needs to go down with a chronic back. I don't know where Suh's gonna end up but that could be big. Anywhere but Seatlle.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    If you had a big time Tight End you'd be in business. Otherwise it's just ridiculous all around. 26 million for Detroit to franchise Suh? Where's he gonna end up? Seattle? That'd be brutal. They should dump Beastmode and sign Suh. Although he could be one screw-up away from being out of the league for a year. He also could be the missing link to one of the best defenses since the '85 Bears. I sure hope Wilson costs 'em a ton of money and soon because the Pack needs them to lose some talent not get more.

Packers need them to sign Beastmode for big money and then he needs to go down with a chronic back. I don't know where Suh's gonna end up but that could be big. Anywhere but Seatlle.
    Incredibly, the top 9 teams in terms of cap space are all in the AFC. http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/...nfl-teams-502/ That would be the best-case scenario for the Packers. Question is whether Suh just wants the biggest contract he can get, or whether he wants to play for a team that can win now.

Blog Entries
    No way the Pack franchises Cobb or obviously Bulaga.

I wonder about TT's recent strategy of letting guys he knows he wants to re-sign test free agency. He signed Rodgers early (twice) and it paid off bigtime. A couple others he signed too early.

Lately he's been sitting back and letting his guys set the market instead of signing them early. It seems to me that he could have signed Cobb a lot of places along the line for a lot less than he'll have to pay now. Maybe he'll end up getting him for $8 million a year and that will be the right number but right now it seems like he'll end up costing more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Incredibly, the top 9 teams in terms of cap space are all in the AFC. http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/...nfl-teams-502/ That would be the best-case scenario for the Packers. Question is whether Suh just wants the biggest contract he can get, or whether he wants to play for a team that can win now.
    I hope he cares more about the money but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is driven by money alone.

He may end up in the Hall of Fame but he'll also be on the edge of being out of the league. He likes to drive fast and take chances. The Packers o-line also did a decent job of neutriliizing him. As long as he costs whatever team he ends up plaing for $15 million he'll be overvalued. AFC would be great - except that Pats.
    Last edited by vince; 02-17-2015 at 11:22 PM.

He got Jordy done early. I think he wanted to wait and make sure Cobb was the same player he'd been before the broken leg before giving him a big contract. Teams can contact prospective free agents starting March 7, with free agency beginning March 10. I expect Cobb to see what he's worth on March 7-8, and sign with the Packers March 9.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    He got Jordy done early. I think he wanted to wait and make sure Cobb was the same player he'd been before the broken leg before giving him a big contract. Teams can contact prospective free agents starting March 7, with free agency beginning March 10. I expect Cobb to see what he's worth on March 7-8, and sign with the Packers March 9.
    For $9 mil/yr. Yeah it's easy to second guess the best in the business. I can see waiting on a guy like Shields, even though he ended up costing more than he should have... Maybe he wants to sign Cobb for 5 years instead of 3, and that's worth waiting until the end for. He's every bit the no-brainer re-up as Nelson is. And he'd have been cheaper a year ago.

You also have to consider whether Cobb was willing to play a year without the insurance of a new contract to earn more. It seemed the Packers *were* trying to get Cobb to sign a contract last offseason, but (because of his injury) it may have been less than Cobb felt he could get by playing in 2014.

TL;DR Both parties need to agree to a deal at any time.

Blog Entries
    The injury did come at a bad time. If Cobb's gonna cost more, I hope they sign him to a longer deal. Shit I'd go for a lifetime deal. Make him a coach when he's done. Seriously. Sign him up for good.

Edgar Bennett Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    The Packer skew my perception probably since Ted could draft either position from a hospital bed.

My sense is top WR don't dominate games so much as their teams' offenses. While a top CB can remove a threat all together. Fitz and CJ earned huge contracts while playing for some middling teams. Vincent Jackson's contract was dumb and Mike Wallace wasn't far behind.

However, just as you can find bargain basement, mid to late round WRs and do well, I suppose you can play zone CBs and be effective without shelling out top dollar.

I am probably complaining about just a handful of players.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    No way the Pack franchises Cobb or obviously Bulaga.

I wonder about TT's recent strategy of letting guys he knows he wants to re-sign test free agency. He signed Rodgers early (twice) and it paid off bigtime. A couple others he signed too early.

Lately he's been sitting back and letting his guys set the market instead of signing them early. It seems to me that he could have signed Cobb a lot of places along the line for a lot less than he'll have to pay now. Maybe he'll end up getting him for $8 million a year and that will be the right number but right now it seems like he'll end up costing more.
    Does TT like to gamble? This man is peculiar to me as he seems conservative/withdrawn. What does he do with all that time with himself. I've never seen a more alone acting man in Pro sports and with his position. Ted Thompson is an island.

Can't you hear him when asked why do you procrastinate on signings Ted?

Well ahh ...let me think ahh ....that's a tough question...

mmmm....well I guess I could simply say:

It is what it is.

Then again it just might be this:

Ted doesn't want to short change any of his key players and his thinking is:

Ok here's what my offer is. If it's satisfactory then sign here.

Otherwise go into the market to see your value and please if the offer beats mine allow me an opportunity to at least match that offer.

TT means no disrespect and 'in fact' offers the best in that regard. The thing is I see risk involved as people may feel happy in Green Bay until they get on the outside and that players family or otherwise loved ones realize something more elsewhere.

Look at the Denver Broncos. Think Peyton Manning with Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas. Think Peyton Manning without Demaryius Thomas.

Think Aaron Rodgers without Randall Cobb when it was Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb or the best QB 2XWR combination in the NFL.

Can Ted Thompson really afford to lose Randall Cobb? Will Davante Adams just step right up to replace all that Randall Cobb offers the Green Bay Packers?
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-18-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Stupider than the RB number?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Stupider than the RB number?
    You only need one and the top guys can make an offense, though the reverse tends to happen too often.

I can close out a game with that guy, if my offense is actually proficient enough to get a lead.

You only need one and the top guys can make an offense, though the reverse tends to happen too often.

I can close out a game with that guy, if my offense is actually proficient enough to get a lead.
    Agreed, I looked at the RB number and it didn't bother me so much. I know it's sexy to call the position devalued, but it's still a position that can touch the ball 2 dozen or more times a game. The top guys deserve top money...

Doh, I just realized you didn't specify which way you thought it was stupid. It's the third lowest, above only safety and TE (didn't count kicker!). I think it's slotted way wrong, compared to the importance to a team.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...