Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you could sign only one, would it be Bulaga or Cobb?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I pick Bulaga.

We finally had a well functioning OL for once, let's try and keep it together for a few more years.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Monday Feb. 09, 2015

Milwaukee- Wisconsin...Journal Sentinel

Which Packers free agent should be the team’s top priority?

Randall Cobb (70%)

Bryan Bulaga (27%)

Tramon Williams (1%)

Someone else (1%)

Total Responses: 3129
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Unless the money is completely out of whack, I easily choose Cobb. Mainly due to health concerns. Cobb had the one injury, but has been health 3 of 4 years. Bulaga has only been healthy 2 of 5 years.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I'd pick Bulaga, depending on the health of Abbrederis.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    But that's not really what TT did. He signed Jennings, Jones, and Finley to deals after their rookie contracts were up. Cobb leaving now would break that mold. Draft & develop. Cobb is hitting his prime, not the TT way to let him walk now. He'll get the deal done.
    With the changes that we're now seeing in regards to offense and coaching /play calling. I'll be surprized if TT lets either leave Green Bay. As you posted TT is a draft and develop GM. Both of these players are TT success stories when he's had plenty of failures.

It's time for Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews to help out.To consider what restructuring their contracts will do to keep the Packers strong and to remain in the conversation for a Super Bowl. Take away Randall Cobb or in that case disagree with a representative Packer Nation Poll and you certainly hurt the Packer 'O'.

Ted Thompson and the Packer Powers should be looking at their quality QB and a five year window. Both of these Packers want to stay in Green Bay. Don't allow Randall Cobb to get away.

Here's the good news Packerrats.

Ted Thompson will find a way to sign Randall Cobb unless his price tag goes through the roof exceeding Packer CAP responsibility. Tick tock....the time is soon at hand and Free Agency 30 days away.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    If I could absolutely only have 1 it'd be Cobb I think. One the one hand Bulagas position is probably more important and I don't particularly like having guys like Cobb who need 100 catches per year realize their value. On the other hand Cobb is a premiere slot option on a team that already lacks much at TE, he has special teams value, and one of the best locker room guys in the NFL.

Also Bulaga stands out as a guy who really came out flat on the road this season and was a big reason why we had an offense that was more inconsistent than our notoriously inconsistent defense.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Comment woodbuck27:

Starting yesterday Mon. 16 Feb. 2015, NFL teams could apply the Franchise Tag as they feel that's needed.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...b-bryan-bulaga

Franchise Tag 2015: Why the Packers will not tag Randall Cobb or Bryan Bulaga

By: Evan "Tex" Western @TexWestern on Feb 16, 2015, 1:00 PM

"...neither player plays a position that lends itself to the high dollar values associated with the Franchise Tag. "

Comment woodbuck27: Wasn't it in 2012 that the NY GIANTS applied the Franchise tag to their punter.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    If I could absolutely only have 1 it'd be Cobb I think. One the one hand Bulagas position is probably more important and I don't particularly like having guys like Cobb who need 100 catches per year realize their value. On the other hand Cobb is a premiere slot option on a team that already lacks much at TE, he has special teams value, and one of the best locker room guys in the NFL.

Also Bulaga stands out as a guy who really came out flat on the road this season and was a big reason why we had an offense that was more inconsistent than our notoriously inconsistent defense.
    Do you think there is a price lower than market FA for a RT that Ted will let Bulaga walk and trust that Tretter or Barclay can play RT?

I don't think there is if market is between $6-7 mil per year. Above that, I think he goes unless Cobb can't be brought back.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This year? Do you really think so? As one article that was linked here somewhere noted, Bulaga pretty much shut out Mario Williams in Buffalo. Williams was unheard from until Bulaga went out with the concussion late in the game, and Tretter came in. Bulaga was redeeming himself against Seattle until he hurt his knee and Sherrod came in.

I thought Bulaga was pretty consistent this year, home and away; and he got better as the year progressed. Not surprising, after missing and entire year+ .

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    This year? Do you really think so? As one article that was linked here somewhere noted, Bulaga pretty much shut out Mario Williams in Buffalo. Williams was unheard from until Bulaga went out with the concussion late in the game, and Tretter came in. Bulaga was redeeming himself against Seattle until he hurt his knee and Sherrod came in.

I thought Bulaga was pretty consistent this year, home and away; and he got better as the year progressed. Not surprising, after missing and entire year+ .
    Yes, I thought Bulaga played very well this past season. I would think a high priority would be to keep #12 upright and healthy. Without AR it really doesn't matter who we have a WR IMO.

He had some rough goes at pass pro on the road, including the Seattle game, though to be fair I do not recall a particular play. He was getting beat by speed. He might not have given up a sack but his guy was forcing Rodgers to react, which was bad because Bach's guy was doing the same.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    ..... Edit ....

Here's the good news Packerrats.

Ted Thompson will find a way to sign Randall Cobb unless his price tag goes through the roof exceeding Packer CAP responsibility. Tick tock....the time is soon at hand and Free Agency 30 days away.
    Right now I'm not so sure that Ted Thompson will sign Randall Cobb.

Blog Entries
    you sign both....but due to health, age, and his upside I think you need to keep Cobb
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    you sign both....but due to health, age, and his upside I think you need to keep Cobb
    I don't think age is a consideration at all. Bulaga (March 21, 1989) is only 17 months older than Cobb (August 22, 1990). Both are very young for hitting free agency

Blog Entries
    That's a trick question to which there's no right answer.

I'd have to pick Cobb because of the dearth of proven talent behind him. I don't see how Abrederis is anything but a huge question mark at this point. Maybe Adams can play in the slot and Janis has potential, but that's too many questions for my taste. Plus it takes some time to get on the same page with Rodgers. Cobb is the only really good answer.

At least we've seen Barclay play and get by before the injury.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't think age is a consideration at all. Bulaga (March 21, 1989) is only 17 months older than Cobb (August 22, 1990). Both are very young for hitting free agency

Would it be fair to say WR's have a longer lifeline in the NFL ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Lifespan? I'd say that after QBs, OL have the longest career length. They don't have to worry about losing a step, and it's easier to maintain your strength as you get older. Veteran tricks are useful on the line, not so much in a footrace.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Lifespan is largely irrelevant, since they will both still (presumably) be productive through the end of their upcoming contracts.

I don't think they do. A lot of older lineman. Not nearly as many old WRs.

Someone on another forum said he heard Denver offered Bulaga $9M/year a contract and Barclay signed a 3 year deal with Indy. Have any of you heard anything about either player? I've scoured the Internet and there is nothing out there at all.