Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HC Mike McCarthy's Season Ending News Conference TODAY; Wed. 28 Jan. 2015 @ 1 PM CST

HC Mike McCarthy's Season Ending News Conference TODAY; Wed. 28 Jan. 2015 @ 1 PM CST

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/289978471.html

McCarthy's season-ending news conference set for Wednesday (28 Jan. 2015 @ 1 PM CST)

By: Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel ... Jan. 27, 2015

Comment woodbuck27:

The original news conference was postponed due to the death of Mike McCarthy's brother, Joseph McCarthy III on Wed, Jan. 21, 2015.

No coordinators or assistant coaches are scheduled to talk as was planned last week.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

MM is before the Press right now.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Well, Slocum isn't getting fired today:

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m3 minutes ago
    MM on Seattle targeting Jones on fake FG: A heck of a play by Jon Ryan. ...You have to look at it from that standpoint.

MM: Fakes are risky. Jon Ryan can run, we know that. ...Hey, we did not execute our responsibilities the best we can.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4m4 minutes ago
    On SEA knowing GB's tendencies on the fake FG: Would have been a footrace for the first down.

MATTHEWS HAD A KNEE

MM on Matthews sitting out: Was being looked at near the end. His knee. ...Talked to Clay, he said he needed a minute.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m3 minutes ago
    MM on Matthews' absence late in game: Knee. "Clay said he needed a minute." No concussion concern.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m2 minutes ago
    Fourth-and goal from 1: Called a play but saw back-side execution on earlier plays so kicked a field goal. "convenient" to go for it now.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2m2 minutes ago
    MM on taking points: Actually called a 4th down play on the headset. Penetration on 2nd and 3rd down. Decided to kick it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well, Slocum isn't getting fired today:
    He mentioned they wouldn't have any staff decisions until next week. He also mentioned that the ST Scheme was solid and execution was lacking...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    He mentioned they wouldn't have any staff decisions until next week. He also mentioned that the ST Scheme was solid and execution was lacking...
    Hawk, House, Bostick. Stubby is clearly blaming these guys
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Packer Report @PackerReport · 1h 1 hour ago
    MM on Special teams: Scheme? Personnel? Emphasis? Good scheme, knowing opponent and executing fundamentals.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Hawk, House, Bostick. Stubby is clearly blaming these guys
    He said it would have been a close race down the sideline. Not sure if he is talking House or Hawk, or both, there.

I would hope the idea that you can't get two vets who are usually in position to know where to be and how to execute, you would look at the coaching or emphasis on ST work.

Yep. Slocum has pictures.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    If you want to parse his words, I don't think he necessarily let Slocum off the hook with his words. Scheme is solid, execution lacking, but in the end it's results. If the current coordinator can't coach 'em up to get the results needed, get someone else who can.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He said it would have been a close race down the sideline. Not sure if he is talking House or Hawk, or both, there.

I would hope the idea that you can't get two vets who are usually in position to know where to be and how to execute, you would look at the coaching or emphasis on ST work.
    the close race down the sideline is House, who may have not followed his responsibilities precisely. It does always fall to the coaches (and GM) though - coaches have to make certain the players know what they are supposed to do and execute. If they are forced to be working with sub-standard players who either physically or mentally can't do the job, then that goes up the chain to TT. Stubby typically doesn't like to blame players or coaches in a PC, but he does give hints!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/290115291.html

McCarthy on Burnett's slide: 'I agree with the intent of the decision'

By: Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel ... Updated: 3:07 p.m

Decisions must be made on the fly. He's OK with Burnett's choice.

" ..."Those are decisions that are made in the heat of the battle," McCarthy said. "I agree with the intent of the decision. I clearly expected to move the ball and at least change the field position. The fact that Morgan went down. ...That’s not Morgan’s fault, and I don’t think you go back and question that decision. Why he did it, I understand. The way we were playing at that point. Defensively, we were in command of the game."

One reason the Packers suddenly were not in command was that star linebacker Clay Matthews was on the sideline for Seattle's final two touchdown drives of the fourth quarter. ..."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/290113191.html

Mike McCarthy on Seattle aftermath: 'It will be a positive'

By: Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 28, 2015 2:44 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

There's a lot to digest reading this article.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    One reason the Packers suddenly were not in command was that star linebacker Clay Matthews was on the sideline for Seattle's final two touchdown drives of the fourth quarter. ..."
    Probably worthy of more discussion. There is an existing thread:
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...uit-or-benched

the close race down the sideline is House, who may have not followed his responsibilities precisely. It does always fall to the coaches (and GM) though - coaches have to make certain the players know what they are supposed to do and execute. If they are forced to be working with sub-standard players who either physically or mentally can't do the job, then that goes up the chain to TT. Stubby typically doesn't like to blame players or coaches in a PC, but he does give hints!
    I agree its dependent on the players, but other teams have injuries, other teams have players that need extra reps or classroom time. This guy couldn't get PAT and punting line play in order over the course of a half season.

So either he is ineffective at getting the lesson across or M3 is not devoting effective time to the teaching.

Shortcomings linger too long and mistakes are repeated too often for him to be doing a good job. And I don't buy a talent argument considering how the offense and defense perform.

^^ Looks like you are more on the side of coaching. I pretty much agree. How does Hawk not stay with the deepest possible receiver, knowing no one else is back there? How does House not know his assignment right away? Why would Bostick go for the ball when he knows he is to block? Why does Cobb dance around on punt returns instead of bursting upfield immediately (like Hyde does)?

I'm in the camp of guessing they don't spend enough time on ST as a group. You have to practice the basics AND all those crazy scenarios together as a group so that when they happen, reactions are natural and immediate.

McCarthy isn't one to throw guys under a bus in front of the media.

I feel about 92% confident that Slocum will be shown the door. McCarthy wasn't going to announce that today...or make any commentary to suggest as much.

The 8% does eat at me every day though.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I'm in the camp of guessing they don't spend enough time on ST as a group. You have to practice the basics AND all those crazy scenarios together as a group so that when they happen, reactions are natural and immediate.
    It is about accountability. I don't think Slocum is a good enough coach to truly demand that of his players. You have to be on top of your game if you expect to demand it of others.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    It is about accountability. I don't think Slocum is a good enough coach to truly demand that of his players. You have to be on top of your game if you expect to demand it of others.
    Shawn Slocum was right there to blast Brandon Bostic when he got to the side line after Seattle's successful onside kick.

Slocum was irate !

When he first commented on the Packers' loss at Seattle in the NFC Championship in his opening remarks, McCarthy said:

the team "let it get away."