Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MCGINN STRIKES.....on..........The SlocuMELTDOWN

Blog Entries

MCGINN STRIKES.....on..........The SlocuMELTDOWN

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    I don't like the alignment," the NFC coach said. "There should be a guy to contain. That's not good football not to have two guys covered.

"It made me angry as a special-teams coach. How can a head coach and a general manager devalue what special-teams coaches do? You've got two special-teams plays that are the difference in Green Bay being in the Super Bowl."
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    One veteran coach, however, couldn't remember ever having a player make that same kind of mistake.

"There's a lot of pressure on those guys," said the coach. "Why do they play on that team? Because they've already given you the indication they can perform under pressure. Don't ever back up to catch the ball."

At the moment of truth, Bostick short-circuited. Should Slocum and veteran assistant Ron Zook have had him better prepared for that moment? That's for the head coach to decide.

Blog Entries
    I'm confused; from the article it sounds like the only reason House was even in the play was because he got a terrible jump on the block.....sounds like he did not have contain on that side

WHO DID ??????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'm confused; from the article it sounds like the only reason House was even in the play was because he got a terrible jump on the block.....sounds like he did not have contain on that side

I think what they're saying is it was a bad scheme b/c if they run the fake to that side it's a two (Ryan, Gilliam) against one (Hawk) scenario in a run or pass option. As much grief as House has caught he actually seems to be the one guy who did well on the play by peeling off to chase Ryan. His job assignment on the play was to rush the kick.

I think that's why Hawk reacted the way he did b/c schematically he was on an island and figured it was better to attack the guy with the ball.

Just so unsound. Bush league really. Slocum needs to go.

This is not the first time a Slocum formation has been deemed unsound by McGinn sources.

However, Rand had a source that said House had contain and that Jones was on the block.

EDIT: The sources specifically say it was Block Left, so House was rushing.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-28-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

Last week, another writer said House did have contain responsibilities on the play, just like Bush did on the other side. If you watch the play, House did much the same as Bush, except that he turned in slightly while Bush stayed square. Bush reacted quicker than House. House was caught flatfooted.

Morton was asked if McCarthy cares as much about special teams as Carroll.

"He does, he definitely does," replied Morton. "I think they both really care."
    If he isn't just giving McCarthy a pass, then its got to be goodbye to Slocum.

However, the one AFC coach just seems to be irritated past the point of understanding. Schneider says he had a vet player (Golden Tate) make the same error as Bostick, but the AFC guy says "no, never" and claims he has proof that each of his players an stand the crucible.

He seems a little put out and not trustworthy. Since its Bob I assume this is Bill Polian.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Last week, another writer said House did have contain responsibilities on the play, just like Bush did on the other side. If you watch the play, House did much the same as Bush, except that he turned in slightly while Bush stayed square. Bush reacted quicker than House. House was caught flatfooted.
    If its Block Left as McGinn says, then I do not think each wing has contain. Only the left, Bush, does.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If its Block Left as McGinn says, then I do not think each wing has contain. Only the left, Bush, does.
    That's the question, was it really block left? Maybe they were actually doing as one coach said they should have, contain on both sides with Bush and House, and taking only whatever token pressure Jones might generate on his own from one side.

Daugherty, or whoever it was that I quoted last week, seemed pretty certain it was contain on both sides, but that House was casual in his performance.

Blog Entries
    Slocum - gone

My guess is he's the guy who pushed for Morton to be fired last year after the dismal performance by ST. He felt he needed an assistant with more experience and technical knowledge to teach up his annually inexperienced crew. Now Morton returns the favor. No more scapegoating.

I think there's a good chance Capers is gone too, with an in-house promotion Whitt or Trgo.

Comment woodbuck27: Is it possible that Mike McCarthy can be a cold man?

When McCarthy fired Morton after five seasons, ......... he did it face-to-face without much explanation.

"I would have liked to have gotten more," Morton said. "I guess I wasn't doing my job good enough. I was definitely shocked by it.

"I definitely don't think so (he was deserving of blame). I had great rapport with all the guys. I gave them everything. I had their back and Shawn's back, and I'm proud of that."

Comment woodbuck27:

Like another Green Bay reject Jon Ryan; former Packer ST's Assistant Chad Morton landed in a good place.

For the record and rejected former Packer and now 'star' Seattle Seahawks punter Jon Ryan:

" Jon Ryan continued his consistent play, breaking his own Seattle Seahawks record for highest punting average in a season (46.6) and leading the NFL with a career-high 34 punts landing inside the 20, tying for the second-most in Seattle history.

Working with new kicker Steven Hauschka, he converted a career-high 25 of 30 field goals (.833) on the season... "

Was Chad Morton Shawn Slocum's last season (2013) scapegoat?

That's grown way beyond tired. I'm confident that Mike McCarthy must now FIRE Shawn Slocum.

Reading the article this stands out. A clear slap down was just waiting to happen. To actually act totally unaware of 'this as a fact' is either stupidity or arrogance.

It was predicted at Packerrats that ST's would be the difference in the games result and not favorably for Green Bay. Was Mike McCarthy as aware? Confidence in any staff coaches ability shouldn't negate a full awareness of what is really (actually) going on.

Mike McCarthy has to be aware of Jon Ryan's athleticism. As the head Coach he should be aware of the fact with the Seattle offense doing little or nothing in that game. That just maybe the FG wasn't going to be enough. The possible fake should have been accounted for in terms of coverage.

Does Mike McCarthy really care about ST's results? If so why are the Green Bay Packers so consistently bad on ST's?

" In nine seasons under McCarthy, the Packers' special teams rank 30th overall in The Dallas Morning News' annual rankings. Seattle, in the last six years (five under Carroll and Schneider), ranks second." Fr. Article

This is damning information. Mike McCarthy has to simply be himself with Shawn Slocum. Walk up to him and announce:

Your FIRED!
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-29-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Less than 5 minutes remained in the 3rd Quarter. The Score was Packers 16 - Seahawks 0. The Seattle fans were much quieter with the Seahawks slogging offense.

From Article in post #1:

" It was fourth and 10 and the ball was on the left hash mark. The Seahawks had six first downs. Quarterback Russell Wilson had been awful.

According to Morton, the options for special-teams coordinator Shawn Slocum "pretty much" would have been block left, block right or safe, meaning no block at all.

According to one Packers' player, Slocum called for a block left (off the Seahawks' left side), which also was the short side of the field. Teams rarely rush from the short side.

"Green Bay should have been playing safe there," an NFC special-teams coach said. "Seattle hadn't done anything. I'd have said, 'You want to kick a field goal, good for you.'"

Morton would only add: "It's hard to look at it after the fact. That was up to Shawn."

The NFC coach said in most cases Slocum would have had three or four seconds to make his decision and that McCarthy probably would have had no idea what was happening. ..." Fr. Article

Comment woodbuck27:

Mike McCarthy should have suspected what might have been happening. The problem is that likely 'a conservative' Mike McCarthy would have simply kicked the FG !

I'll not likely ever forget Mike McCarthy's reaction. It was a nothing reaction. He walked straight ahead on the sideline as if nothing happened.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Slocum - gone

My guess is he's the guy who pushed for Morton to be fired last year after the dismal performance by ST. He felt he needed an assistant with more experience and technical knowledge to teach up his annually inexperienced crew. Now Morton returns the favor. No more scapegoating.

I think there's a good chance Capers is gone too, with an in-house promotion Whitt or Trgo.
    I would be sort of stunned if Capers was gone. They seem to have built the defense back up and he did reasonably well this year with adjustments through the year. He's approaching the point where they've got enough guys with enough time in the system to really start making it fly. Now that he's got 2 real safeties and a decent DL, things are pointing up.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    If Bush was on that side of the fake and stopped it, would red have had a coronary?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    I wish you guys would stop rehashing this game. I am only now able to sleep at nights.

God, I hate the Packers...

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I would be sort of stunned if Capers was gone. They seem to have built the defense back up and he did reasonably well this year with adjustments through the year. He's approaching the point where they've got enough guys with enough time in the system to really start making it fly. Now that he's got 2 real safeties and a decent DL, things are pointing up.
    Mike McCarthy wouldn't dare get rid of Dom Capers.

McCarthy has an offensive side of the ball background and Capers does his thing. The only way Dom Capers is out of Green Bay is if he wants out.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    I wish you guys would stop rehashing this game. I am only now able to sleep at nights.

I hate it that I love them
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    This. I still fantasize about quitting football.

It's so dumb to get tied in knots about a game that I have no control over at all.

It's drama, real-live drama. The ending of that game was the kind of fantastically horrible denouement you can't even experience in a Darren Aronofsky film. I guess that's part of it, part of the addiction.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^^^ It did kinda feel like getting an gangrenous arm amputated, didn't it?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck