Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Want To Blame The Defense?

Does Anyone Want To Blame The Defense?

The first TD wasn't their fault (though several players were out there for the fake).

Its 19-14 with 2:09 left. Having allowed on TD to Beast Mode is not ideal, but 7 points allowed by the D in a Championship game is a pretty good effort. It only took 7 plays from the Seattle 31 and 3:52 off the clock, so the D did bend quickly. But odd are still WAY in the Packers favor.

Onside kick gives them a short field and they go through the D like butter, 4 plays 44 seconds.

In OT, Seattle goes 87 yards (ST had them on their own 13 yard line) in 6 plays.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Well at least we have this:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 60m60 minutes ago
    Doing my "Grading on a Curve" story on OLBs. @PFF had Nick Perry with second-best run-stop percentage among 3-4 OLBs
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well at least we have this:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 60m60 minutes ago
    Doing my "Grading on a Curve" story on OLBs. @PFF had Nick Perry with second-best run-stop percentage among 3-4 OLBs
    I recall everyone screaming about how terrible Perry was last year - especially on the final drive against SF because he couldn't drop in coverage. Well, he was doing that because of all the injuries (he was injured too), and there was no one else to play that down. So this year, with everyone healthy more or less, he was used to his strength. Good to see.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

The D collapsed at the end...no doubt. They and Dom did a great job up until that point though...but they and special teams had to carry the offense all the way and they couldn't. I don't want to think about it....still painful and only SEA getting pounded by NE will ease the pain. Was it Dom going soft with his play calling? It still hurts....
    C.H.U.D.

In span of 11 plays- D allowed 3 TDs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    In span of 11 plays- D allowed 3 TDs.
    Yeah, I didn't "know" that, but I felt it.

Capers did a helluva a job in the latter half of the season. He really moved the LB's around and crafted an NFL run D. Which we didn't have in the first 8 games. Then came the fatal end of the Hawk game.

Perry had one of the fugliest games at OLB I've ever seen his rookie year vs SF. He's come a 1000 miles since then. By the end of the season, offenses had to help the tackle on his side, he was mowing people down one on one. Big Nick is strong like truck, he just isn't a cover guy.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Yeah, I didn't "know" that, but I felt it.

Capers did a helluva a job in the latter half of the season. He really moved the LB's around and crafted an NFL run D. Which we didn't have in the first 8 games. Then came the fatal end of the Hawk game.

Perry had one of the fugliest games at OLB I've ever seen his rookie year vs SF. He's come a 1000 miles since then. By the end of the season, offenses had to help the tackle on his side, he was mowing people down one on one. Big Nick is strong like truck, he just isn't a cover guy.
    Compare the final 11 plays to a set of 11 offensive plays by the Pack early. We had the ball twice inside 20 and got down to 1" line - and got 6 points.

To be fair about the 11 for 3 number, one of those was on a short field and they were trying to drain the clock, which is going to yield yards.

The overtime TD drive was a great audible by the QB and his WR. Also a great pass.

I took Capers to task for moving Burnett deep, but after watching some replays, it was not every snap at the end. And Burnett deep did produce an INT that should have effectively ended the game. That 3rd and 19 completion though, that was some 4th and 26 mojo. Why are you deeper than that guy in Cover 3 on 3rd and 19? That's on the D as was Lynch's big run. Tackle him and another 20 seconds run off.

Have to expect that Wilson was going to be able to run at some point and he did seem to shake free after Clay was out. But in retrospect I wish they would have done was refuse to let him throw deep to a 1 on 1 WR, Tebow style. He was inaccurate all day except for those throws.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The first TD wasn't their fault (though several players were out there for the fake).

Its 19-14 with 2:09 left. Having allowed on TD to Beast Mode is not ideal, but 7 points allowed by the D in a Championship game is a pretty good effort. It only took 7 plays from the Seattle 31 and 3:52 off the clock, so the D did bend quickly. But odd are still WAY in the Packers favor.

Onside kick gives them a short field and they go through the D like butter, 4 plays 44 seconds.

In OT, Seattle goes 87 yards (ST had them on their own 13 yard line) in 6 plays.
    The D did NOT collapse. They did exactly what MM wanted them to do. He starts counting possessions anytime he has a certain lead and he changes the way we are playing the game. This has an adverse effect as it puts players into passive mode (sort of like not calling enough running plays does to an OLine.)

Once they are in that mindset they don't come out of it again (thus the easy scores for Seattle to take the lead and in OT).

He does it every game which is why we have to sweat onside kicks after having 20+ point leads so often (see Atl).

I don't mean to say I want MM fired, he is a fantastic coach. He has a weakness and its his desire to milk a clock instead of go for the throat. Players excel when playing downhill. IF...he learns from this, it will be awesome, but if next season we have first half blowouts, and then must cover onside kicks, or make defensive stops to win at the end all season long I would say he didn't learn a damn thing.

Edit: He did learn that you can't play well outdoors after practicing indoors all week, so there is hope.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

" He did learn that you can't play well outdoors after practicing indoors all week, so there is hope." Fr. Post #9...bobblehead

Mike McCarthy's Coaching Resume:

1987–1988 - Fort Hays State (Graduate assistant)

1989–1991 - University of Pittsburgh (QB's Coach)

1992 - University of Pittsburgh ( WR's Coach)

1993–1994 - Kansas City Chiefs - (Offensive quality control assistant)

1995–1998 - Kansa City Chiefs (QB's Coach)

1999 - Green Bay Packers (QB's Coach)

2000–2004 - New Orleans Saints ( OC)

2005 - San Francisco 49ers - (OC)

2006–present Green Bay Packers (Head Coach)

There's nothing in Mike McCarthy's resume pre Green Bay related to playing DEFENSE.

How long does it take to teach one the things you should know by the time you reach University level by simply participating in sports?

How long does it take for common sense to sink in; especially when your coaching at a Pro level !?

How long does it take to realize that winning big takes real toughness and desire to 'just win'? That no part of that is spelled 'FUN'?

How long does it take to know that after every season growth does come from honest and tough evaluation and resultant change? There's little gain in any evaluation process without making actual changes.

Mike McCarthy's growth curve doesn't seem steep enough for me. This man moves very very slow. Obviously and as a result he grows slowly.

From a fans perspective:

The loser as a result will be Green Bay Packer fans hoping for more than NFCN Championships.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-29-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post

There's nothing in Mike McCarthy's resume pre Green Bay related to playing DEFENSE.
    Offenses scheme against defenses, not the air. They kinda understand defenses. It's part of the job.

How long does it take to realize that winning big takes real toughness and desire to 'just win'? That no part of that is spelled 'FUN'?
    Can't some of it be fun?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

They played amazing for the first 56 minutes of the game, then they absolutely shit the bed and did everything wrong that they could

It sums up our defense under capers perfectly imo

The players?? Some blame - Burnett's idiotic slide... dumb on top of stupid. No excuse for that.

But the collapse is, of course, on dunderdummy. His rush no one, and cover no one on 3rd and 21 was the beginning of the end. Until that point, he was Dr. Jekyl... of course, Mr. Hyde is always lurking just under the surface.

When will you guys learn?? lol... the guy can't wait to go stupid, he can't wait to go soft, he can't wait to rush 3 and cover no one... it's who he is, and it's who he has always been.

Dunderdummy cannot be trusted - NEVER, EVER!!!
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Offenses scheme against defenses, not the air. They kinda understand defenses. It's part of the job.

Can't some of it be fun?
    The fun can start once your opponent realizes they are beaten, their body language changes, and they submit - not with 4:00 minutes left in a game that is within 2 scores.

MM and Capers, by nature, are not aggressive, finish their opponent off coaches. Every once in a while MM might show some guts, but Capers is a skirt-wearing pussy - always has been, always will be.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    The players?? Some blame - Burnett's idiotic slide... dumb on top of stupid. No excuse for that.

But the collapse is, of course, on dunderdummy. His rush no one, and cover no one on 3rd and 21 was the beginning of the end. Until that point, he was Dr. Jekyl... of course, Mr. Hyde is always lurking just under the surface.

When will you guys learn?? lol... the guy can't wait to go stupid, he can't wait to go soft, he can't wait to rush 3 and cover no one... it's who he is, and it's who he has always been.

wist43:

After Seattle no one here will be able to disagree legitimately with your contentions against Dom Capers. You proved every nay sayer wrong.

Sadly it takes Green Bay Packers losing to prove your 'the WINNER'.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

The fun can start once your opponent realizes they are beaten, their body language changes, and they submit - not with 4:00 minutes left in a game that is within 2 scores.

MM and Capers, by nature, are not aggressive, finish their opponent off coaches. Every once in a while MM might show some guts, but Capers is a skirt-wearing pussy - always has been, always will be.
    "...not with 4:00 minutes left in a game that is within 2 scores. ..." wist43

actually the Morgan Burnett "pick - step - step >>> slide" and ensueing onfield and sideline celebration was with 5:04 remaining.

I was watching that and saying to myself. What are they doing !? There was way too much time on the clock.

Cover 0 blitz on the winning TD there sport.

It wasn't all Cover 2. Matthews out put Hawk onto field and that left the rush to the D lineman.

I agree that M3 has some influence on how D is played. But there weren't completely in a shell.

they were on the field most of the second half, were without clay for the meltdown, and had the reigns pulled back on them late, so...no. i blame mehcarthy, sp teams/bostick, and peppers/burnett.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    wist43:

After Seattle no one here will be able to disagree legitimately with your contentions against Dom Capers. You proved every nay sayer wrong.

Sadly it takes Green Bay Packers losing to prove your 'the WINNER'.
    He predicted the Packers wouldn't be able to keep it close.

My original prediction was Sea 38 GB16

I think I'm going to amend that down a bit, hoping we keep it closer...

Sea 27
    GB 16

I enjoyed 55 minutes of the game, and then the tying drive. I guess I'm a cheap date.