Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Want To Blame The Defense?

Capers schemed his way to excellence for most of the game, despite questionable personnel, but late in the game, it seems that Seattle made the correct adjustments. I'd really like to see the Capers D in action with better players.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He predicted the Packers wouldn't be able to keep it close.
    pbmax wist43 prediction was out overall by an aggregate seven (7) points....one score.

For the Green Bay Packers he predicted they would score 16 points and the Packers scored six (6) more or 22 points.

For the Seattle Seahawks he predicted they would score 27 Points and they scored 28 points.

Compared to most of the members predicted scores here wist43 was more accurate.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Cover 0 blitz on the winning TD there sport.

It wasn't all Cover 2. Matthews out put Hawk onto field and that left the rush to the D lineman.

I agree that M3 has some influence on how D is played. But there weren't completely in a shell.
    Where was the safety help for Tramon Williams on the winning TD in OT?

That was a glaring error.

Had Dom Capers simply surrendered at that point?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    pbmax wist43 prediction was out overall by an aggregate seven (7) points....one score.

For the Green Bay Packers he predicted they would score 16 points and the Packers scored six (6) more or 22 points.

For the Seattle Seahawks he predicted they would score 27 Points and they scored 28 points.

Compared to most of the members predicted scores here wist43 was more accurate.
    His first prediction was for the Seahawks to score 38 points. He also commented there was no way the Packers could stop them with Capers.

But once again, the Defense outplayed the Offense.

So once again the Capers bashing was misplaced. His argument, in fact, changed after the game; that you could trust neither coach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Where was the safety help for Tramon Williams on the winning TD in OT?

That was a glaring error.

Had Dom Capers simply surrendered at that point?
    Cover 0 blitz was a big part of his blitz package when the Packers D improved over the second half of the year. He relied on perhaps his best position group on D to hold coverage while he doubled someone inside (Witten for instance) and sent more than 4 after the QB. It also gives you 9 closer to the box.

So no it wasn't surrender. But it was a very good audible by the QB.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Cover 0 blitz was a big part of his blitz package when the Packers D improved over the second half of the year. He relied on perhaps his best position group on D to hold coverage while he doubled someone inside (Witten for instance) and sent more than 4 after the QB. It also gives you 9 closer to the box.

and a perfect throw in the wind and rain
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I get it given the down and yardage for Seattle on the play preceding the TD play:

3-7-SEA 30 (12:36) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 35 for 35 yards (29-C.Hayward).

The next and final play was a 1st and 10:

To send that many to the line was like Texas Hold Em and a high risk 'All In' and not necessary. It was a bad defensive call and Dom Capers got burnt bad for it.

How bad was that?

It was bye bye Super Bowl. The entire season... the air let out of that PRONTO !

Maybe a bad call (hindsight is 20/20) but definitely not surrendering.

I get it given the down and yardage for Seattle on the play preceding the TD play:

3-7-SEA 30 (12:36) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 35 for 35 yards (29-C.Hayward).

The next and final play was a 1st and 10:

To send that many to the line was like Texas Hold Em and a high risk 'All In' and not necessary. It was a bad defensive call and Dom Capers got burnt bad for it.

How bad was that?

It was bye bye Super Bowl. The entire season... the air let out of that PRONTO !
    It was a reasonable defensive call that worked out horribly. If you think about the way the game had gone, up to that point Wilson had completed very little and most of Seattle's yards were coming on the ground. With the wind and rain, an audible to a deep throw, even with single coverage (that had already led to 4 INTs) was a huge risk.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

" If you think about the way the game had gone, up to that point Wilson had completed very little and most of Seattle's yards were coming on the ground. " mraynrand

From the time that Clay Matthews was out of the game or with 7:01 remaining in the 4th Qtr. and up to his final pass for the game winning TD in Overtime:

Russell Wilson was 5 for 7 passing for 100 Yards. He was effective as a passer in the last half of the 4th Qtr,. and into OT. As a passing threat he had to be considered dangerous given this statistic.

Given Russell Wilson's style of play he was 'in fact' a solid threat to pass on that game ending 1st down.

" If you think about the way the game had gone, up to that point Wilson had completed very little and most of Seattle's yards were coming on the ground. " mraynrand

From the time that Clay Matthews was out of the game or with 7:01 remaining in the 4th Qtr. and up to his final pass for the game winning TD in Overtime:

Russell Wilson was 5 for 7 passing for 100 Yards. He was effective as a passer in the last half of the 4th Qtr,. and into OT. As a passing threat he had to be considered dangerous given this statistic.

Given Russell Wilson's style of play he was 'in fact' a solid threat to pass on that game ending 1st down.
    The 5-7/100 yards is deceptive - two plays were for 70, including the previous play and the pick play to Lynch. The other three were all short, and Wilson had missed a deep throw. Also, even just playing catch-up, the play selection was 3-3 on the first drive and 3-1 (the one pass incomplete) on the second drive. The Packers were giving up a lot of yards on the ground on those two drives. The next time Wilson gets the ball is in OT, and there you suspect a more conventional attack., and it makes sense to stop the run. So the play selection tendencies were highly slanted to run, the deep throws were off target, the Packers were doing a good job in 0 coverage; it made sense to continue defending the run on a first and 10. They got burned but it wasn't a bad strategy, based on the way the game was going.

He is dangerous, that is why you might blitz him.

The Packers had had success with pressure for most of the game.

" The 5-7/100 yards is deceptive - two plays were for 70, including the previous play and the pick play to Lynch." mraynrand

NO !

The plays were in order for:

20;26;8;10 and 36 yards for a total of 100 yards.

When Russell Wilson burns the Packers defense for the Final passing TD (again ) he was 5/7 for 100 yards from the time that Clay Matthews exited the game or at 7:01 remaining in the 4th Qtr.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    " The 5-7/100 yards is deceptive - two plays were for 70, including the previous play and the pick play to Lynch." mraynrand

NO !

The plays were in order for:

20;26;8;10 and 36 yards for a total of 100 yards.

When Russell Wilson burns the Packers defense for the Final passing TD (again ) he was 5/7 for 100 yards from the time that Clay Matthews exited the game or at 7:01 remaining in the 4th Qtr.
    Thanks for the correction.

So instead of Rand's 2/2 for 70 and 3/5 for 30.....
    We have woody's 2/2 for 62 and 3/5 for 38.....
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

He is dangerous, that is why you might blitz him.

The Packers had had success with pressure for most of the game.
    agree, but not on first and ten in overtime, right? With the success the birds were having running the ball, the Packers played the odds.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    agree, but not on first and ten in overtime, right? With the success the birds were having running the ball, the Packers played the odds.
    Odds schmodds. I'd blitz every down all game long.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Odds schmodds. I'd blitz every down all game long.
    You can expect a call from Mike Sherman

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    You can expect a call from Mike Sherman
    Or Bruce Arians.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Probably dependent on personnel and likely play call. Whatever Bevell dialed up, Capers had anticipated because Wilson had to change the play.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    The players?? Some blame - Burnett's idiotic slide... dumb on top of stupid. No excuse for that.

But the collapse is, of course, on dunderdummy. His rush no one, and cover no one on 3rd and 21 was the beginning of the end. Until that point, he was Dr. Jekyl... of course, Mr. Hyde is always lurking just under the surface.

When will you guys learn?? lol... the guy can't wait to go stupid, he can't wait to go soft, he can't wait to rush 3 and cover no one... it's who he is, and it's who he has always been.

Dunderdummy cannot be trusted - NEVER, EVER!!!
    And I'm telling you that based on history, I conclude that MM has him going into that shell on 3rd and 21. That is MM theory. Capers historically has not coached that way.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.