Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SLOCUM IS GONE!

THANK CHRIST

if this would have happened a couple years ago, like everyone in the world knew should have happen, we would be in the super bowl right now

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    THANK CHRIST

if this would have happened a couple years ago, like everyone in the world knew should have happen, we would be in the super bowl right now

I hate to rain on your parade, but you don't know what they next guy will be like.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    If MM and TT had that little sit around and were brutally honest in their evaluations of the team and coaches, this had to be done. 1/3 of the team was usually a liability in every game and you can't win championships covering special teams mishaps. Truth sometimes hurts but it was what it was....for toooooo long.

Blog Entries
    I hope Zook doesn't get the gig.

He seems like a guy who is playing out the string, a former college HC that is on his way down on the career path.

Slocum was Stock's asst & I don't want a Slocum asst.

(The guy I was hoping for, Brad Seely, was snapped up by Jack Del Rio & the Raiders.)

Stub should have looked at him.
    Last edited by KYPack; 01-30-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Went through this before with Sherman when he dumped one guy and went with John Bonamego. Bonamego, if memory serves, was the Asst. and then full Coach of the very successful Jacksonville Jaguars ST. Sherman got him and everyone was very excited because McGinn and others had tagged as an up and comer. However, while there was some improvement, Bonamego wasn't a savior. He didn't bring Allen Rossum back with him.

And he has bounced around quite a bit since then, in fact he is now in Detroit trying not to let Jeremy Ross' fumbles drive him to an early grave.

So there is still some work to do. But you would think it can't get worse.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade, but you don't know what they next guy will be like.
    But can the nesxt guy truly be any worse?

I'm glad he's gone but I do feel for his family. Nobody likes to see somebody lose his job.

Had this happened last week, as it normally would have, several highly regarded ST coaches would have been available. Several lost their jobs along with the head coaches for whom they worked, and were quickly signed by other teams. Seely, as mentioned by KYP, also Bobby April who was let go by Oakland, then signed by the Jets. It seems to me there was another, whose name escapes me right now.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Well, I guess we'll see how they feel about ol' Zooker as a replacement candidate. I thought it was a bit of a weird move by both Zook and the Packers when he was hired. You typically don't see someone who has been the head coach of two high-profile college programs take a job as a special teams assistant coach in the NFL. That move would seem to be reserved for someone who is young with an ascending career path. But, a man has a right to work, and if he's considered the best man for the job, so be it. At least he has experience. It will be interesting to see whether McCarthy compartmentalizes Zook's contributions to Slocum's results. Personally, after the results from 2014, and years previous to Zook's arrival, I think a complete reboot of special teams staff would be helpful.

Now the question is, who is out there that is qualifed, and could step into the role and make a difference right away? It's one thing to want a clean slate, it's another thing to have someone in mind who can really take over and do the job. Slocum fired...now what?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

So, does Slocum land an NFL job of any type anywhere else? Does he go back to the college ranks? It seems experience is valued over results in the NFL, and the same guys get recycled over and over on different staffs.

is san frans ST coach still available?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    is san frans ST coach still available?
    That's one of the guys we are talking about. Brad Seely, he was hired in Oakland by Jack Del Rio.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm going throw out a name:

Dave Wannstadt

Pittsburgh connection

Coached special teams at Pitt when he was Head coach

Was Special Teams coach for Tampa Bay Bucs (I think for a season under Schiano)

He was with Buffalo, for a spell, now I think he's out of coaching.

Just throwing it out there - I'm not for or against it, it just popped into my head. I don't know why, just popped in there.

Someone brought this name up on another forum yesterday. How about Keith Armstrong from Mike Smiths' staff in Atlanta?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Nobody likes to see somebody lose his job.
    all evidence to the contrary!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It seems experience is valued over results in the NFL
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    So, does Slocum land an NFL job of any type anywhere else? Does he go back to the college ranks? It seems experience is valued over results in the NFL, and the same guys get recycled over and over on different staffs.
    The way he attacked Brandon Bostic on the sideline after Seattle's successful on side kick:

I think that Shawn Slocum has a real future in cage fighting.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    But can the nesxt guy truly be any worse?

I'm glad he's gone but I do feel for his family. Nobody likes to see somebody lose his job.

MM had better remove any trace of Shawn Slocum's influence on future ST's. After that ...no it cannot be much worse.

Think of it this way Pugger.

That's Slocum's back to that 'green' arrow.

The Slocum family's future may feature an enhanced fast food selection.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-31-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Fabulous.

Now we can move on to Putin and ISIS.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Fabulous.

Now we can move on to Putin and ISIS.
    You want Putin as special teams coach?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Maybe next year we'll read a story like this about GB...
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...s-rankings.ece

Kelly won the NFC East and presided over the NFC’s best offense in his debut season. But that first year was a learning experience and one of the lessons Kelly learned was that he needed better special teams.

Philadelphia finished 18th in the NFL in special teams in 2013, so Kelly undertook a sweeping upgrade last offseason.

Kelly traded for returner Darren Sproles and kicker Cody Parkey and signed a pair of special*-teams coverage aces in free agency, Bryan Braman from the Texans and Chris Maragos from the Seahawks. Kelly also hit on undrafted college free *agent Trey Burton and street free *agent Chris Prosinski for his coverage units.

The changes were dramatic. The Eagles vaulted all the way to the top of the league in special teams, finishing first in the 2014 NFL special*-teams rankings compiled annually by The Dallas Morning News.
    Funny, same ST coach.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers