Thread: SLOCUM IS GONE!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So who does M3 hire to take Slocum's spot? Does he promote Zook (I hope not) or hire Morton (which would be hilariously ironic but obviously won't happen due to last year's firing and Morton probably not ready yet) or someone else? Who's left? Due to the Packers making it deep into the playoffs and M3's brother dying and therefore stuff getting pushed back even further, the usual pool seems shallow.

An up and comer from somewhere is what I hope. From outside the org.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    So who does M3 hire to take Slocum's spot? Does he promote Zook (I hope not) or hire Morton (which would be hilariously ironic but obviously won't happen due to last year's firing and Morton probably not ready yet) or someone else? Who's left? Due to the Packers making it deep into the playoffs and M3's brother dying and therefore stuff getting pushed back even further, the usual pool seems shallow.

An up and comer from somewhere is what I hope. From outside the org.
    It'll be Zook. MM doesn't go outside his buddy list

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    I am thinking that is most likely. But you never know, M3 did a full scan for a DC last time.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am thinking that is most likely. But you never know, M3 did a full scan for a DC last time.
    He did. He wanted to hire a buddy, but ended up with Capers, who he said he didn't know at all before their initial interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He did. He wanted to hire a buddy, but ended up with Capers, who he said he didn't know at all before their initial interview.
    Nolan was supposedly the first choice, but M3 told Haslett to wait. In between he offered Gregg Williams and Capers. Neither had a past history with him.

And he and Nolan were together for only one year. I don't think they had a background together before that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    MM went outside the "family" to hire asst's last season. Sam Gash was a good example of that.

Zook doesn't fire me up, I'd like to see him get a young Turk of some kind at that job.

Slocum probably should have been canned during the season last year.

Is the ST coordinator now at the level of the OC and DC, the next level below the headcoach (and maybe the assistant headcoach)?

Would Special Teams Coordinator be a promotion for Edgar Bennett???????

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Is the ST coordinator now at the level of the OC and DC, the next level below the headcoach (and maybe the assistant headcoach)?

Would Special Teams Coordinator be a promotion for Edgar Bennett???????
    no. ST is where maxed out coaches go to die - think Nolan Cromwell.

It's QB coach then coordinator for Edgar, maybe skipping QB coach. He's on a trajectory for HC in five years or less.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

It's QB coach then coordinator for Edgar, maybe skipping QB coach. He's on a trajectory for HC in five years or less.
    When Cromwell was the Packers' ST coach he was a neophyte in the coaching ranks. Are you suggesting they get him back?

ST in the past was almost an entry level position, but I think that has changed over the years. Now it is common to have 1 or 2 assistants under the ST coordinator, and/or a quality control guy helping out. He has his own "staff". The position used to be a "coach", now it is "coordinator".

It has been said that MM used Slocum as his sideline assistant, maybe because of a personal relationship, but also because the ST coordinator doesn't have a lot of in game strategy to be concerned with, unlike the O and D coaches that have to strategize.

I agree with your recommended path for Bennett, but I think ST coordinator could also, in today's game, offer another step up for him, and maybe keep him around a while longer.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I agree with your recommended path for Bennett, but I think ST coordinator could also, in today's game, offer another step up for him, and maybe keep him around a while longer.
    Plus MM seems to like to cross-train his coaches. Outside looking in, you'd wonder why a head coach would appoint a running back to coach receivers, but he's a big believer in cross-training, which if you think about it builds the resume up to perhaps someday be a HC.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

Well, not always. Cromwell was seen as a real up and comer until he became a ST coach.

I'd like a type of coach.

John Harbaugh comes to mind. A detail guy with some fire.

I don't know who would be the right guy, but I'm hoping we get "that guy".

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    MM went outside the "family" to hire asst's last season. Sam Gash was a good example of that.

Zook doesn't fire me up, I'd like to see him get a young Turk of some kind at that job.

Slocum probably should have been canned during the season last year.
    Somewhere I read here that Shawn Slocum was on notice after last season and Ron Zook was brought in to replace Chad Morton.

I'd like to see something to support that claim.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau