Thread: SLOCUM IS GONE!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    no. ST is where maxed out coaches go to die - think Nolan Cromwell.

It's QB coach then coordinator for Edgar, maybe skipping QB coach. He's on a trajectory for HC in five years or less.
    When Cromwell was the Packers' ST coach he was a neophyte in the coaching ranks. Are you suggesting they get him back?

ST in the past was almost an entry level position, but I think that has changed over the years. Now it is common to have 1 or 2 assistants under the ST coordinator, and/or a quality control guy helping out. He has his own "staff". The position used to be a "coach", now it is "coordinator".

It has been said that MM used Slocum as his sideline assistant, maybe because of a personal relationship, but also because the ST coordinator doesn't have a lot of in game strategy to be concerned with, unlike the O and D coaches that have to strategize.

I agree with your recommended path for Bennett, but I think ST coordinator could also, in today's game, offer another step up for him, and maybe keep him around a while longer.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I agree with your recommended path for Bennett, but I think ST coordinator could also, in today's game, offer another step up for him, and maybe keep him around a while longer.
    Plus MM seems to like to cross-train his coaches. Outside looking in, you'd wonder why a head coach would appoint a running back to coach receivers, but he's a big believer in cross-training, which if you think about it builds the resume up to perhaps someday be a HC.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan