Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SLOCUM IS GONE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    It'll be Zook. MM doesn't go outside his buddy list
    MM went outside the "family" to hire asst's last season. Sam Gash was a good example of that.

Zook doesn't fire me up, I'd like to see him get a young Turk of some kind at that job.

Slocum probably should have been canned during the season last year.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am thinking that is most likely. But you never know, M3 did a full scan for a DC last time.
    He did. He wanted to hire a buddy, but ended up with Capers, who he said he didn't know at all before their initial interview.

Is the ST coordinator now at the level of the OC and DC, the next level below the headcoach (and maybe the assistant headcoach)?

Would Special Teams Coordinator be a promotion for Edgar Bennett???????

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Is the ST coordinator now at the level of the OC and DC, the next level below the headcoach (and maybe the assistant headcoach)?

Would Special Teams Coordinator be a promotion for Edgar Bennett???????
    no. ST is where maxed out coaches go to die - think Nolan Cromwell.

It's QB coach then coordinator for Edgar, maybe skipping QB coach. He's on a trajectory for HC in five years or less.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

It's QB coach then coordinator for Edgar, maybe skipping QB coach. He's on a trajectory for HC in five years or less.
    When Cromwell was the Packers' ST coach he was a neophyte in the coaching ranks. Are you suggesting they get him back?

ST in the past was almost an entry level position, but I think that has changed over the years. Now it is common to have 1 or 2 assistants under the ST coordinator, and/or a quality control guy helping out. He has his own "staff". The position used to be a "coach", now it is "coordinator".

It has been said that MM used Slocum as his sideline assistant, maybe because of a personal relationship, but also because the ST coordinator doesn't have a lot of in game strategy to be concerned with, unlike the O and D coaches that have to strategize.

I agree with your recommended path for Bennett, but I think ST coordinator could also, in today's game, offer another step up for him, and maybe keep him around a while longer.

He did. He wanted to hire a buddy, but ended up with Capers, who he said he didn't know at all before their initial interview.
    Nolan was supposedly the first choice, but M3 told Haslett to wait. In between he offered Gregg Williams and Capers. Neither had a past history with him.

And he and Nolan were together for only one year. I don't think they had a background together before that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

ST used to be coached by a position coach or a head coach. It was the last group to get a coordinator.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

ST used to be coached by a position coach or a head coach. It was the last group to get a coordinator.
    Yup. It went from being a side job for someone with other primary coaching responsibilities, to being just a singular "coach" who might also help out with another position, to being a coach with no other significant responsibilities (This is what it was during the '90s) to now being a "coordinator" position with dedicated special teams assistants under him.

That said, and with no disrespect to special teamers, I have a hard time understanding what a Special Teams Coordinator and one or two assistants do all day long during the season, let alone in the off-season.

Of course, I have a hard time seeing the need for 20 coaches in a sport played by 11 on O and D.

How long before we see "O-line Assistant - Centers", "O-line Assistant - Guards" and "O-line Assistant Tackles"? Can further specialization to "Left Tackles" and "Right Tackles" be far off?

Long snapping, hold, punting and kicking are significantly different skils and responsibilities. Shouldn't there be at least three assistants (lets ignore kickoffs, for now!)

But I digress...............

Make EB the STC. Performance would certainly improve.

Edgar being mentioned reminds me of something I have been wondering. Any chance that the lifelong running back is having trouble teaching releases off the LOS by his receivers?

Jimmy Robinson, former WR coach, played the position and Driver and Jennings rarely had trouble releasing off the line, though as each aged, they also got to play more in the slot. Teams, including the Packers at times, go to great lengths to get off the line, but it seems to be more of a struggle these days.

Edgar being mentioned reminds me of something I have been wondering. Any chance that the lifelong running back is having trouble teaching releases off the LOS by his receivers?

Jimmy Robinson, former WR coach, played the position and Driver and Jennings rarely had trouble releasing off the line, though as each aged, they also got to play more in the slot. Teams, including the Packers at times, go to great lengths to get off the line, but it seems to be more of a struggle these days.
    Two comments:

First, I think part of the problem is that they are seeing more and more big cornerbacks, as teams realize they need bigger guys to go up against the big WRs that are becoming more common, and since teams like Seattle have proven that bigger cornerbacks can still be very effective, if you chose wisely.

The other comment I have is from an article near the end of the season. Maybe it was even after the Dallas game. Rodgers commented about Adams, and one thing he mentioned was how much he had improved in releasing off the LOS. I remember it, because I thought it was an especially good sign for a rookie WR adapting to play in the NFL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

Well, not always. Cromwell was seen as a real up and comer until he became a ST coach.

I'd like a type of coach.

John Harbaugh comes to mind. A detail guy with some fire.

I don't know who would be the right guy, but I'm hoping we get "that guy".

Not that I disagree, but who do you see struggling with the release? Cobb normally gets off pretty good, but he has the advantage of normally being in the slot. Nelson gets tied up from time to time. After Adams the other WR were so worthless I can't even really grade them.
    Go PACK

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I agree with your recommended path for Bennett, but I think ST coordinator could also, in today's game, offer another step up for him, and maybe keep him around a while longer.
    Plus MM seems to like to cross-train his coaches. Outside looking in, you'd wonder why a head coach would appoint a running back to coach receivers, but he's a big believer in cross-training, which if you think about it builds the resume up to perhaps someday be a HC.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I think they should hire Chuck Cecil to run special teams.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Not that I disagree, but who do you see struggling with the release? Cobb normally gets off pretty good, but he has the advantage of normally being in the slot. Nelson gets tied up from time to time. After Adams the other WR were so worthless I can't even really grade them.
    Slot guys have an easier time with the release. Thinking about Jordy mainly and Boykin as well. Can't say I know about Adams yet. Mostly the struggle with getting open early versus tight man.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    I think they should hire Chuck Cecil to run special teams.
    Franchise-killing!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Zook is top candidate according to Bob who is apparently speaking to the one veteran coordinator currently available (Joe Marciano).

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...290711531.html

Also some non-specific blame passing:

"It also reflects on the head coach," one coordinator said. "They've done it a long time and haven't been very good. I guess you could lay it all on Shawn but they don't have great special teams personnel.

"Other thing, they've changed the assistants forever there. We used to laugh about that. They fire the assistants. Like, what are they doing that for?"
    So is it the hiring and firing or the personnel? No one knows, they are just laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    MM went outside the "family" to hire asst's last season. Sam Gash was a good example of that.

Zook doesn't fire me up, I'd like to see him get a young Turk of some kind at that job.

Slocum probably should have been canned during the season last year.
    Somewhere I read here that Shawn Slocum was on notice after last season and Ron Zook was brought in to replace Chad Morton.

I'd like to see something to support that claim.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Zook is top candidate according to Bob who is apparently speaking to the one veteran coordinator currently available (Joe Marciano).

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...290711531.html

Also some non-specific blame passing:

So is it the hiring and firing or the personnel? No one knows, they are just laughing.
    I love Mel Kiper Jr's comment. 'McCarthy's bag of fail is bottomless'...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    I love Mel Kiper Jr's comment. 'McCarthy's bag of fail is bottomless'...
    Wow. I wonder what he says about Marc Trestman. Hope MM can handle the humiliation of not having Mel Kiper's support.