Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Super Bowl XLIX Thread

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    And they had two opportunities to give the ball to Lynch...which means your success rate "statistically" just jumped to 87%. Technically, they could've probably gotten a 3rd chance off if necessary if they had run the first play a little quicker. Now you are over 100%.
    You can't get over 100% on a 43% chance in three tries.

But the problem is the clock here. With 26 seconds, you need two stoppages to get three plays off. You could run, call TO, pass and (assume incomplete) then run again.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Man, people never forget:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 40s40 seconds ago
    Used to blame INTs on Tony Simmons at Wisconsin, too. RT @bcondotta: Darrell Bevell says Lockette could have been stronger to the ball.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    And I thought MM made some bone-headed play calls. That takes the prize for the stupidest call of the year.

Russel Wilson has not impressed me the last two games. He gets way too many props.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Man, people never forget:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 40s40 seconds ago
    Used to blame INTs on Tony Simmons at Wisconsin, too. RT @bcondotta: Darrell Bevell says Lockette could have been stronger to the ball.
    LOL. I was going to post Wilde's quote too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

http://www.advancedfootballanalytics...medium=twitter

By Brian Burke
    01 February 2015
    It was 2nd and goal from the 1 with 26 seconds at the snap. SEA had 1 timeout. If SEA runs the ball on 2nd down and fails to score, that means they must call their final timeout to save time for 3rd and 4th down. And that means they must pass on 3rd down for there to be time for a 4th down.

Passing on 2nd down allows SEA the option of running on 3rd down if necessary, and forces the NE defense to respect both options on all potential remaining downs.

Lynch is a beast, no doubt. He was born for that moment. And he would make a great decoy on 2nd down. It was simply an excellent play by NE’s Malcolm Butler, and it was the one outcome that could backfire on SEA’s decision to pass.

The play call itself, I can't account for that. Perhaps it was a go-to play that they felt confident about.
    The one flaw here is the assumption that you MUST pass on 3rd down after you call a TO. Percentage wise you want the extra down and shot, but you could catch NE playing pass all the way.

If you are Belichick on 3rd down, 18 seconds left, no Seattle TOs, do you play pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I've never been so happy to see another team lose.

Well, maybe the Vikings in 2009.
    Yup, karma is a bitch.

Brian Burke ‏@Adv_NFL_Stats 4m4 minutes ago
    WOPR sim disagrees with its creator. Says SEA should have run. Risk of sack, turnover, & pen outweighs risk of not having time for 4th down.

You can't get over 100% on a 43% chance in three tries.

But the problem is the clock here. With 26 seconds, you need two stoppages to get three plays off. You could run, call TO, pass and (assume incomplete) then run again.
    Yeah...this is where I'm shocked the Seahawks let the clock run down so much. With only 1 time out left...I think the smartest play is to try to run first. Do it with about 38-40 seconds left...so you use the time out with just over 30 seconds left if unsuccessful. Now, you are free to still do whatever you want...because you can call two plays in the time out, and a failed run on 3rd down still gives you 25+ seconds to set up for another play. If you wind down the clock too much, it makes your play-calling more predictable. You can't worry about leaving time on the clock in that scenario...you need to use the clock in whatever manner gives you the greater advantage on the field to score the TD you need to retake the lead.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i hope tj lang and every other asshole on the team that soiled the uniformed this season gets shipped out of town in the offseason

honestly, don't ever need to see any of the coaches or players wearing green and gold again. i'd rather watch us go full blown rebuild and spend the next 10 years going 1-15 then to watch any of these pussies play for us again
    NO
    Go PACK

Brian Burke ‏@Adv_NFL_Stats 4m4 minutes ago
    WOPR sim disagrees with its creator. Says SEA should have run. Risk of sack, turnover, & pen outweighs risk of not having time for 4th down.
    LMAO. This is what happens when you leave it up to computers.

They'd have forced us to watch a boring NCAA championship game of Florida State and Alabama if we had let them!
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

LMAO. This is what happens when you leave it up to computers.

They'd have forced us to watch a boring NCAA championship game of Florida State and Alabama if we had let them!
    The computers are consistent. But humans want to change the rules all the time. Actually, I doubt the computers have FSU #1 or #2, but the poll voters keep getting more weight in the BCS so they may have ended up on top.

I really cannot get any grasp on why members here are taking apart Russell Wilson for this loss.

Did he make the play call? Was Russell Wilson simply doing what he was asked to do on that down?

With 26 seconds on the clock and 2nd and goal from the NE one yard line. Russell Wilson gets called to pass on a slant route to WR Ricardo Lockette. He gets picked by Malcolm Butler and the Pats took over simply needing to run out the clock for a New England win.

Football is a game of inchs. Was it a case of Ricardo Lockette not getting to the ball? Or Clearly... that short pass being just a little out in front? If Russell Wilson had passed into the hands of the receiver maybe it may have been dropped?

Maybe Malcolm Butler had some good hands on an aggressive play and thus the pick?

Did you look carefully on what Russell Wilson did do to even get that ball in that position to possibly win that game late?

No. All you do is judge him on one play and dismiss all he did that was extremely positive in that excellent game.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I like Russell Wilson. It's a shame he had to get drafted by the dirtiest team full of thugs. Seriously, you're going to start a fight after the game is "over?" Get some class you low life punks.

Won $345 tonight. Moving on from stage two, anger.

New England didn't call a timeout after the first down carry because they were not going to even contest a rushing attempt. If Lynch had been given the ball on second down, the line would have allowed Lynch to score. The timeout is worth more than the time to New England at that point.

Think about it, why was New England in a 4-3 look 2nd and goal from the 1-yard line? They were playing pass all the way because they didn't want anything other than a TD/turnover/incompletion. Had the Seahawks scored a TD, the Pats would have had the ball with 24ish seconds left and all three timeouts, needing only a FG to tie.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    The tears of the Seahawks fans crying about how the decision to throw was "the worst call in history" are delicious. Never mind they don't realize they shouldn't have even been in the Super Bowl to begin with.

And they had two opportunities to give the ball to Lynch...which means your success rate "statistically" just jumped to 87%. Technically, they could've probably gotten a 3rd chance off if necessary if they had run the first play a little quicker. Now you are over 100%.
    That's not how math works.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    That's not how math works.
    spoken by the guy who never gave 110%
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    New England didn't call a timeout after the first down carry because they were not going to even contest a rushing attempt. If Lynch had been given the ball on second down, the line would have allowed Lynch to score. The timeout is worth more than the time to New England at that point.

Think about it, why was New England in a 4-3 look 2nd and goal from the 1-yard line? They were playing pass all the way because they didn't want anything other than a TD/turnover/incompletion. Had the Seahawks scored a TD, the Pats would have had the ball with 24ish seconds left and all three timeouts, needing only a FG to tie.
    That's good analysis.

Seattle's on the 1 yard line and the world was looking for a handoff to Marshawn Lynch.

I wonder if we'll ever know what Bill Belichick's thoughts were on that down/play?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau