Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Super Bowl XLIX Thread

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    No. All you do is judge him on one play and dismiss all he did that was extremely positive in that excellent game.
    2nd guessing is an easy thing to do, but it was the decisive play of the game and in this case, the decisive losing play. Of course the Packers would have some idea of how this feels having squandered a 4th quarter lead of their own.

What gets you beat? Getting cute. Going away from tendencies and not doing what got you there or playing to your strength. If you are wasting a play (Pete Carroll's term) on that second down play, then why not show slant and Russell tucks it and takes the right side of the field and gets the corner. I don't think Wilson gets beat to the corner, but if he can't get to the corner, he can run out of bounds or throw the ball away. That's how you waste a play, Pete. To run a slant to an inexperienced receiver and throwing the ball high and late...that will get you beat.

The Seahawks are more sick today than the Packers were a couple of week's ago. You had the Super Bowl won if you hand the ball to Lynch.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    2nd guessing is an easy thing to do, but it was the decisive play of the game and in this case, the decisive losing play. Of course the Packers would have some idea of how this feels having squandered a 4th quarter lead of their own.

What gets you beat? Getting cute. Going away from tendencies and not doing what got you there or playing to your strength. If you are wasting a play (Pete Carroll's term) on that second down play, then why not show slant and Russell tucks it and takes the right side of the field and gets the corner. I don't think Wilson gets beat to the corner, but if he can't get to the corner, he can run out of bounds or throw the ball away. That's how you waste a play, Pete. To run a slant to an inexperienced receiver and throwing the ball high and late...that will get you beat.

The Seahawks are more sick today than the Packers were a couple of week's ago. You had the Super Bowl won if you hand the ball to Lynch.
    The powers to be chose to not run the ball. I do feel the star of that play call should have been Marshawn Lynch. That Seattle should have taken advantage of that man's demands to adversity the way the NFL had treated him all week.

That aside...I've looked at that play 20 times.

Russell Wilson threw that ball very well and with some mustard on that throw. I cannot find any fault on that play against Russell Wilson. In that game Russell Wilson was amazing in his execution.

How many here had knowledge of New England CB Malcolm Butler before this game? Before his game winning pick?

What university did he graduate from? When was he drafted? Was he drafted? Where is he on New England's Depth Chart? What position is normal for him as a DB? What was his record as a playmaker in the NFL ... ie how many picks did he have entering that Super Bowl game?

I'll venture to post that...not one member of this board could answer half of those questions before he made that 'Hero Play' yesterday

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...-unlikely-hero

Little-known Malcolm Butler an unlikely hero for Patriots

February, 2, 2015 ... 2:25 AM ET

By: Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

My point is that Seattle liked the matchup and former Green Bay Packer Coach Darrell Bevell made the call for a slant pass. Rookie Malcolm Butler (who had zero NFL picks) is lined up in the end zone about seven yards from the goal line. So what went wrong?

This slant is a TD or an incompletion if Ricardo Lockette simply gets his hands up for the catch. I mean his hands moved in 'slow motion'. Lockette might have been more aggressive on that play.

Little known CB Malcolm Butler was aggressive. he made the pick and his team escapes a bullet and wins a close exciting game. That's the end of the story.

Sure it is ! yak yak Yak !

Deon Sanders was being Deion and blowing off after the game and expounding his view that the play call was "the WORST in Super Bowl history". A tad too much emotion? Marshall Falk had no words for that call. Michael Irvin didn't have the intended receivers name right.

I asked myself: How much does NFL.Com pay these guys?

Pete Carroll on the other hand took full responsibility for the loss. Pete Carroll fully explained the reason for that call and his thinking of what the whole series of calls was intended to be including using the one remaining Time Out. Pete Carroll has a ton of class. Pete Carroll's team was (a just maybe?) one made play away from back to back Super Bowl wins.

Every Packer fan should just wish to be where Pete Carroll's team was with :28 let in the fourth Quarter. So close to back to back Super Bowl wins.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-02-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    New England didn't call a timeout after the first down carry because they were not going to even contest a rushing attempt. If Lynch had been given the ball on second down, the line would have allowed Lynch to score. The timeout is worth more than the time to New England at that point.

Think about it, why was New England in a 4-3 look 2nd and goal from the 1-yard line? They were playing pass all the way because they didn't want anything other than a TD/turnover/incompletion. Had the Seahawks scored a TD, the Pats would have had the ball with 24ish seconds left and all three timeouts, needing only a FG to tie.
    How are you coming to this conclusion? The DL fired off the ball on 2nd down. There was no let up in their play. On top of that, NE stayed in a big package and didn't match Seattle's 3 WR look.

I think both Belicheck and Carroll screwed up the ending of that game. Belicheck should have been using the 2 remaining TO to ensure NE had some time remaining. Seattle should have run a safer play. I hate when we run slants from in close. There is too much traffic in there.
    Go PACK

Blog Entries
    Red, feeling a little shaky this AM?

You got that fucked up & didn't even watch the SB?

Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    How are you coming to this conclusion? The DL fired off the ball on 2nd down. There was no let up in their play. On top of that, NE stayed in a big package and didn't match Seattle's 3 WR look.

I think both Belicheck and Carroll screwed up the ending of that game. Belicheck should have been using the 2 remaining TO to ensure NE had some time remaining. Seattle should have run a safer play. I hate when we run slants from in close. There is too much traffic in there.
    Good observations Bossman641.

Here's exactly how New England defended on 2nd and goal @ 0:28 in the game:

'Out of the horses mouth' what Bill Belichick said about that game clinching play ...See 3:25 of this video:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/02/new...dad-super-bowl
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    New England didn't call a timeout after the first down carry because they were not going to even contest a rushing attempt. If Lynch had been given the ball on second down, the line would have allowed Lynch to score. The timeout is worth more than the time to New England at that point.
    Then why did they tackle him on first down?

And why not call a TO then let them score?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I think the problem was tendency and film study. Because for the briefest of moments, it was open, the DB was well off the LOS. That DB had to crash hard at the snap to be in position. No hesitation at all. When he saw the WR cross to run a slant/flat combo, he took off.

He had to see that on previous Seattle double red zone plays.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think the problem was tendency and film study. Because for the briefest of moments, it was open, the DB was well off the LOS. That DB had to crash hard at the snap to be in position. No hesitation at all. When he saw the WR cross to run a slant/flat combo, he took off.

On the radio this morning they said NE notices that SEA tended to run that play in short yardage formation and had actually run the play in practice this week with the O scoring a TD. They were ready for it during the Super Bowl.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I agree it was open for a split second. If Wilson had thrown the ball a touch earlier Lockette probably catches it and, at worst, gets tackled just short of the end zone. I just can't believe the Seahawks didn't take advantage of Wilson's legs or Lynch in that situation.
    Go PACK

I'm pretty glad the Seahawks lost.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Yup.

1-5-NE 5 (1:06) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to NE 1 for 4 yards (54-D.Hightower).

That 'stop and hack' on Marshawn Lynch by New England's MLB Akeem Ayers was something else. Ayers played very well this season.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    On the radio this morning they said NE notices that SEA tended to run that play in short yardage formation and had actually run the play in practice this week with the O scoring a TD. They were ready for it during the Super Bowl.
    It doesn't surprise me that Belicheat knew Seattle was running this play in practice. Probably a hidden camera in a deflated ball.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Kevin Negandhi ‏@KNegandhiESPN 2h2 hours ago
    Russell Wilson's pass was the 109th time a QB threw from the 1-yd line this season and it was the 1st time it resulted in an interception.

Kevin Negandhi ‏@KNegandhiESPN 2h2 hours ago
    Russell Wilson's pass was the 109th time a QB threw from the 1-yd line this season and it was the 1st time it resulted in an interception.
    Not Legendary.

Ground Rat
    bhaha did Mike mccarthy take over playcalling for Seattle down there? haha losing that way is karma for not deserving to be in that game after getting a couple of absurd gifts from the Packers. FU seachickens! I love they lost by not just giving the ball to Lynch.

Kidding aside, Wilson is one of the Seahawks players that I actually like.

It's really more fun to see Carroll and Bevell get lambasted for the call.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Butler read the shit out of that last play. He was great position from the start. and simply beat the receiver to the ball. Wasn't about the WR not "being aggressive", he just simply got beat by Butler.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

It was a super ballsy move by Belicheck to psych them out, Seattle I am sure expected them to call a timeout. When they didn't, all of a sudden 30 seconds ran off the clock. And with one timeout, Seattle really didn't have time to run 3 times without getting in the endzone. I didn't understand it at all at first. But as you said he most certainly wasn't not calling his timeouts to let them score on purpose, that makes zero sense.

Fantastic quote from Brandt:

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 4m4 minutes ago
    Amazing how the narrative about two teams and their star players can change based on one play by an undrafted free agent (Butler). #SB

That's like the old saw: it's not the top of the roster that determines the team's overall success. It's the bottom. And by bottom, I mean Bostick.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Fantastic quote from Brandt:

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 4m4 minutes ago
    Amazing how the narrative about two teams and their star players can change based on one play by an undrafted free agent (Butler). #SB

That's like the old saw: it's not the top of the roster that determines the team's overall success. It's the bottom. And by bottom, I mean Bostick.
    Is he still on the roster?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck