Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Super Bowl XLIX Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Marshawn Lynch was 1 for 5 from the 1 yard line this year. Heard this on radio, it was said to be on Twitter, but cannot find it.

Anyone else here this?
    Here you go PB

He was 1/3 against the Giants and 0/1 against both SF and DEN

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...y.cgi?id=n5YDo
    Go PACK

Found it!

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 2h2 hours ago
    Marshawn Lynch ran the ball 5 times from 1-yard line during regular season. He only scored ONCE.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 34m 34 minutes ago
    Of the 11 RBs w/ at least 250 carries thias season, only LeVeon Bell (14.5%) had lower % of stuffs/carry than M. Lynch (17.1%)

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 31m 31 minutes ago
    By comparison, No. 11 on that list, LeSean McCoy, was stuffed 21.8% of the time. Lynch had 280 carries, was stuffed 48x (17.1%)
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

On the other hand, multiple stats folks mentioned the Patriots were not the best power run stopping team in the League. However, goalline is often a different animal.

Revis told someone they were in goalline + 3 CBs for the last play. One linebacker was off the LOS.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

On the other hand, multiple stats folks mentioned the Patriots were not the best power run stopping team in the League. However, goalline is often a different animal.

Revis told someone they were in goalline + 3 CBs for the last play. One linebacker was off the LOS.
    Patriots had allowed 5 rushing TD on 6 attempts from the 1 during the regular season and playoffs
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Patriots had allowed 5 rushing TD on 6 attempts from the 1 during the regular season and playoffs
    Brutal. Its almost as if you need to be prepared to do both.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Both coaches were stupid on that last play - last minute.

Belichick should have called a TO; and Carroll should have run...

NE's DC pulled a few dunderdummy moves during the game as well... Seattle's TD at the end of the 1st half comes to mind - just let the receiver run into the end zone and pitch and catch?? With 6 seconds on the clock?? Really?? Straight out of dunderdummy's playbook. There were a few others as well, but I had a few drinks and can't remember, lol...
    Good to know that the two teams in the SB also have dunderdummies for DCs.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Its almost as if when things do not work as planned, people everywhere look stupid.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Marshawn Lynch was 1 for 5 from the 1 yard line this year. Heard this on radio, it was said to be on Twitter, but cannot find it.

Anyone else here this?
    so if he had 5 runs, there's a 100% chance he scores, right?

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

That's got nothing to do with what happened at the end there...

Belichick needed to call a TO to preserve the clock in case Seattle scored - which they should have, had they run Lynch. Belichick reduced his teams chances by not calling a TO. That they got lucky and Carroll/Bevell went braindead too is not the point.

As for Carroll - I'll accept his explaination that they might could only run it twice, although I think they could have gotten another play off had they been stuffed twice. He said they planned on running it twice after the throw; but I, like most everyone else thought the play there was to run it again on 2nd down and punch it in.
    wist

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ✔ @SandoESPN
    Follow
    5th time since ‘01 a tm down 4-8 pts had 2nd/GL from 1 w/20-40 sec left and 1 timeout. 2 ran and fell short. 2 threw TDs. SEA threw INT.

So Belichick didn't call a timeout in the hopes that Seattle would be psyched out and would botch the next play? Sorry but I'm not buying it. Lynch got tackled with 1:02 left. Seattle changes their personnel from a 2 TE I formation to the 3 WR formation and gets to the LOS at a normal pace. Seattle purposefully ran 30 seconds off the clock to leave as little time as possible remaining.

If Lynch plunges the ball in, Hauschka most likely kicks into the end zone and NE is left with 20 seconds and 2 TO to get in field goal range. Belichick is then left answering questions this morning about why he only left Brady with 20 seconds and 2 TO instead of 55-58 seconds and 1 TO.
    Ultimately I think the smart decision would have been to be ready to burn a timeout after every play. I didn't mean psych out in terms of making them screw up a play and turn the ball over. Just in that they were expecting them to take a timeout. By calling a timeout with a minute left, while you do give yourself more wiggle room if Seattle scores, you also stop the clock for them and keep the entire playbook open for them on all 3 plays if necessary. I think that was his logic, I could be wrong. Other than that him letting the clock run doesn't make a lot of sense. It struck me as similar to when the kicker is expecting a timeout to freeze him, yet one doesn't come.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I believe that would be a 112% chance of scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Ultimately I think the smart decision would have been to be ready to burn a timeout after every play. I didn't mean psych out in terms of making them screw up a play and turn the ball over. Just in that they were expecting them to take a timeout. By calling a timeout with a minute left, while you do give yourself more wiggle room if Seattle scores, you also stop the clock for them and keep the entire playbook open for them on all 3 plays if necessary. I think that was his logic, I could be wrong. Other than that him letting the clock run doesn't make a lot of sense. It struck me as similar to when the kicker is expecting a timeout to freeze him, yet one doesn't come.
    Seattle already had the entire playbook open. They semi-closed it on themselves. Once Lynch got tackled with 1:02 they could have easily hurried up and snapped the ball with 40 seconds or so left. They dragged things out too much. Actually that entire drive was a pretty poor use of time.

1st and 10 at SEA 20 (2:02) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass deep left to M.Lynch to NE 49 for 31 yards (J.Collins).
    Two-Minute Warning
    1st and 10 at NE 49 (1:55) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to J.Kearse (M.Butler).
    Timeout #1 by SEA at 01:50.
    2nd and 10 at NE 49 (1:50) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to C.Matthews (B.Browner).
    3rd and 10 at NE 49 (1:41) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to R.Lockette to NE 38 for 11 yards (L.Ryan).
    1st and 10 at NE 38 (1:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Wilson pass deep right to J.Kearse pushed ob at NE 5 for 33 yards (M.Butler).
    Timeout #2 by SEA at 01:06.
    1st and 5 at NE 5 (1:06) M.Lynch left tackle to NE 1 for 4 yards (D.Hightower).
    2nd and 1 at NE 1 (:26) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right intended for R.Lockette INTERCEPTED by M.Butler at NE -1. M.Butler to NE 2 for 3 yards (R.Lockette). PENALTY on NE, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 1 yard, enforced at NE 2.
    Why did they take TO #1 after the incompletion to Kearse? I can't remember. Was there an injured player?
    Go PACK

No..he might go 0 for 5 on one set of five runs and 2 for 5 on the next.

He might hit a real dry spell and go 0 for 10 and suddenly get hot and score on 3 of the next 5 runs.

It's all really a mystery. A mystery that will unfold in mere seconds from now......

So you call the slant and what's the worst case scenario? Time to think...well no...and ...is this the correct call!? Consequences of being wrong !?

A pick or fumble and turn over...... but you love the match up so ... and so... and well so ... you go with a three receiver set ....

just to make them think your passing .....but no .....their not going to be fooled by that ... so ... so ... so and

suddenly when you realize you should have been running ....they have the fricken' ball and... and that game

is over ... and well YOU lose ! BAM ! ..... you know you should have run the ball.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Seattle already had the entire playbook open. They semi-closed it on themselves. Once Lynch got tackled with 1:02 they could have easily hurried up and snapped the ball with 40 seconds or so left. They dragged things out too much. Actually that entire drive was a pretty poor use of time.

Why did they take TO #1 after the incompletion to Kearse? I can't remember. Was there an injured player?
    Late substitutions and then needed an adjustment/audible. This has happened to the Packers numerous times.

I think the switch from a 40 second clock, after a normal non-incompletion play to a 25 second clock (after a TO, injury, official measurement) screws up some teams. They are used to being able to call a personnel group and then get the play to the QB with time to huddle or move people around or audible all the while the coach can talk until 15 seconds are left on the clock.

On the 25 second clock, the sideline management is more compressed. Play call and personnel have to happen at same time and be done quickly. The coach only has 10 seconds to talk. If you huddle there isn't much time to audible or move people around. If you line up immediately you cannot communicate with the sideline and half the team are far away from the sideline so second adjustment isn't possible.

I am sure they work on this, but if something goes wrong, there isn't enough time to reset on a 25 second clock.

Hoody made the right call by NOT calling a TO. Seattle only had one left with 28 or so seconds left....so by not calling that TO he almost forced them to throw. I still would have ran Beast first and burned the TO if he didn't make it. That way you still have a couple of shots throwing the ball. Make sense..?
    C.H.U.D.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Hoody made the right call by NOT calling a TO. Seattle only had one left with 28 or so seconds left....so by not calling that TO he almost forced them to throw. I still would have ran Beast first and burned the TO if he didn't make it. That way you still have a couple of shots throwing the ball. Make sense..?
    Sure. Or run, throw, run. And if you throw, you could pick something a little safer like a fade to the tall dude from Footlocker.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    That's got nothing to do with what happened at the end there...

Belichick needed to call a TO to preserve the clock in case Seattle scored - which they should have, had they run Lynch. Belichick reduced his teams chances by not calling a TO. That they got lucky and Carroll/Bevell went braindead too is not the point.

As for Carroll - I'll accept his explaination that they might could only run it twice, although I think they could have gotten another play off had they been stuffed twice. He said they planned on running it twice after the throw; but I, like most everyone else thought the play there was to run it again on 2nd down and punch it in.
    I agree. Both HCs screwed up but BB got lucky that his defense sealed the deal with the INT.

Sure. Or run, throw, run. And if you throw, you could pick something a little safer like a fade to the tall dude from Footlocker.
    If you run, throw, run, the Defense knows you must pass on that third down.

no, he has 32.7% chance of scoring.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.