Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Nelson and Cobb are not in the same boat. One signed a contract in 2014 offseason (effectively). One is signing a contract is 2014 offseason. Cobb incurred more risk.

Harlan's strategy kinda falls apart in an age of FA and salary cap escalations of 8% a year.
    No, his strategy doesn't fall apart at all, you simply factor in the increases too. Players understand that part.

Players can understand Cobb making nearly what Nelson does, perhaps just a slight bit more. They might not understand the idea of Cobb making $11M or more.

I think the idea of players taking anything significantly less to sign early is antiquated, at best. All it does is anger them a year or two later At best, signing early gives the team a bit more freedom to manipulate cap hits, but the players still (mostly) expect whatever would be fair if they were in fact a FA at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    No, his strategy doesn't fall apart at all, you simply factor in the increases too. Players understand that part.

Players can understand Cobb making nearly what Nelson does, perhaps just a slight bit more. They might not understand the idea of Cobb making $11M or more.

I think the idea of players taking anything significantly less to sign early is antiquated, at best. All it does is anger them a year or two later At best, signing early gives the team a bit more freedom to manipulate cap hits, but the players still (mostly) expect whatever would be fair if they were in fact a FA at the time
    Nelson has done it twice, both times he traded in the risk of the last year of a deal for new guaranteed money and a longer term deal. Nelson accomplished what many do when they take a shorter deal and hope to hit FA in their peak again (like Finley tried to do). Nelson did it by taking less, earlier.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Nelson has done it twice, both times he traded in the risk of the last year of a deal for new guaranteed money and a longer term deal. Nelson accomplished what many do when they take a shorter deal and hope to hit FA in their peak again (like Finley tried to do). Nelson did it by taking less, earlier.
    I saw an interview with Nelson shortly after he signed the last one. He almost seemed embarrassed when they started talking about money. He was asked if this was a "fair" deal for him, in view of what other WRs had gotten. He went into a long discussion about how they are all paid way too much for what they do, that he had already made an awful lot of money just to play football, so, yes, to do what he does, this was fair. If it was low in eys of others, at least the Packers would have ability to sign team mates, etc.

I think Jordy will always seem like a bargain, because it didn't sound like he would ever have demands.