Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Exactly. If he can get from someone else in 3 years nearly as much as the Packers would give him in 5 years, how could he pass that up?

I think we as fans often project our feelings for a team as the players feelings and motivations. From having known and worked with a number of pro athletes, a great many of them are very business like in their approaches to their free agencies. With a few exceptions, they do not care a lot who they play for or with. The deal is paramount. Good agents keep them focused on the business aspects. Since their careers are short, their decisions have less to do with championships and team success, and more to do with the deal they get. Younger players often seem to think they will get a championship eventually, and usually feel like they will make their team a winner anyway. Championships are most important to the few old vets who extend their careers for the sole purpose of trying to get one. They will often make huge contract concessions to get on a team with a good chance at a championship.

Cobb might like to stay in GB and play with Rodgers if he can, but I doubt it will have a big influence on his decision, unless the contracts offered by the Packers and others are quite close.
    exactly, its a game of winning and losing to us, to them its a job/business

to us, its about team, to them its about "me and my family", as it should be

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    exactly, its a game of winning and losing to us, to them its a job/business

to us, its about team, to them its about "me and my family", as it should be
    And it is not even like most of us looking for and deciding on job offers. Sometimes we look for short-term stepping stones in our career paths, but a great many of us take into consideration where we want to live and raise our families, hoping we will be there for our careers. For the pro athlete, that isn't much of a consideration because their careers are so short and their contracts even shorter. Everything is short term. Whereas we work year around, and basically need to live close to where we work, the pro athlete can live anywhere they choose, recognizing that they may have to go somewhere else to work for 6-8 months of the year. But that will be only for a few years, until their contract expires or their career ends.

Cobb is making a decision for the next 3-5 years, not for decades.