Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

florio thinks the packers should let him walk

he thinks he'll go to the raiders. you'd think after signing james jones last year that they would figure out by now that a-rod makes his wr's better, not the other way around
    He lost me at 'standout season by Davante Adams'. He had a good rookie season, but ~500 yards is a long way from a standout season.

JJ did ok this season, btw. Catches and TDs were up from '13, other totals were down but didn't fall right off. Main stat that went the wrong way was YPC, which you can probably blame on QB play.

He's listed as having played all 16 games, but only starting 10, I don't get that.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

This paragraph really tells the story:

Some personnel people are convinced the market for Cobb will be between $9 million and $10 million, but they're often conservative this time of year. It wouldn't be shocking, given the number of clubs flush with cap space, to see a five-year deal for Cobb averaging $12 million, perhaps even $13 million with guarantees well in excess of $30 million.
    If Cobb sees only a million a year difference, I think he wants to return and might give the Packers another shot to offer before Tuesday.

But if the difference is between a 8-9 mil average and 12-13, then its a no brainer.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If Cobb sees only a million a year difference, I think he wants to return and might give the Packers another shot to offer before Tuesday.

But if the difference is between a 8-9 mil average and 12-13, then its a no brainer.
    Exactly. If he can get from someone else in 3 years nearly as much as the Packers would give him in 5 years, how could he pass that up?

I think we as fans often project our feelings for a team as the players feelings and motivations. From having known and worked with a number of pro athletes, a great many of them are very business like in their approaches to their free agencies. With a few exceptions, they do not care a lot who they play for or with. The deal is paramount. Good agents keep them focused on the business aspects. Since their careers are short, their decisions have less to do with championships and team success, and more to do with the deal they get. Younger players often seem to think they will get a championship eventually, and usually feel like they will make their team a winner anyway. Championships are most important to the few old vets who extend their careers for the sole purpose of trying to get one. They will often make huge contract concessions to get on a team with a good chance at a championship.

Cobb might like to stay in GB and play with Rodgers if he can, but I doubt it will have a big influence on his decision, unless the contracts offered by the Packers and others are quite close.

packers offered 5 for at between 8-9 million a year, cobb and his agent decided that wasn't in the ball park for what he could get on the open market

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...illion-a-year/

so much for the idea of golden boy randall cobb taking less money to stay with green bay. he like all players just wants the $$$$$$

sure sounds like he wants more then what jordy got, even though jordy is the clear #1 and cobb is the clear slot #2

good bye

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Exactly. If he can get from someone else in 3 years nearly as much as the Packers would give him in 5 years, how could he pass that up?

I think we as fans often project our feelings for a team as the players feelings and motivations. From having known and worked with a number of pro athletes, a great many of them are very business like in their approaches to their free agencies. With a few exceptions, they do not care a lot who they play for or with. The deal is paramount. Good agents keep them focused on the business aspects. Since their careers are short, their decisions have less to do with championships and team success, and more to do with the deal they get. Younger players often seem to think they will get a championship eventually, and usually feel like they will make their team a winner anyway. Championships are most important to the few old vets who extend their careers for the sole purpose of trying to get one. They will often make huge contract concessions to get on a team with a good chance at a championship.

Cobb might like to stay in GB and play with Rodgers if he can, but I doubt it will have a big influence on his decision, unless the contracts offered by the Packers and others are quite close.
    exactly, its a game of winning and losing to us, to them its a job/business

to us, its about team, to them its about "me and my family", as it should be

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    packers offered 5 for at between 8-9 million a year, cobb and his agent decided that wasn't in the ball park for what he could get on the open market

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...illion-a-year/

so much for the idea of golden boy randall cobb taking less money to stay with green bay. he like all players just wants the $$$$$$

sure sounds like he wants more then what jordy got, even though jordy is the clear #1 and cobb is the clear slot #2

good bye
    If that is the case than TT did exactly what Woodbuck said he should do. Huh, imagine that, TT doing his job.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Without Randall Cobb the Packers are in a real predicament in 2015 (Reason: A lack of trusted depth @ WR).

The objective is to get him signed and don't allow him to test the market:

If TT offers Randall Cobb 4 years for $34 M$ and $20 M$ guaranteed.... he'll sign.
    It seems like this was offered.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I think $20 mil guaranteed is on the high side for these deals, unless you are in franchise tag numbers.

I suspect Cobb will come in less than the tag as an average unless a war breaks out for his services. $11+ per year is still 2 mil more than the Packers high end.

However, I am not sure if Cobb and Nelson are 2 and 1 red. Cobb is not a traditional outside WR, its not his strength, but he can function out there. He is great inside. Plus the backfield option makes him kinda unique. Packer Report said he is the best slot guy in the League, however, even that fails to capture him. He is essentially a new Slash, minus QB snaps.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

exactly, its a game of winning and losing to us, to them its a job/business

to us, its about team, to them its about "me and my family", as it should be
    And it is not even like most of us looking for and deciding on job offers. Sometimes we look for short-term stepping stones in our career paths, but a great many of us take into consideration where we want to live and raise our families, hoping we will be there for our careers. For the pro athlete, that isn't much of a consideration because their careers are so short and their contracts even shorter. Everything is short term. Whereas we work year around, and basically need to live close to where we work, the pro athlete can live anywhere they choose, recognizing that they may have to go somewhere else to work for 6-8 months of the year. But that will be only for a few years, until their contract expires or their career ends.

Cobb is making a decision for the next 3-5 years, not for decades.

I think $20 mil guaranteed is on the high side for these deals, unless you are in franchise tag numbers.

I suspect Cobb will come in less than the tag as an average unless a war breaks out for his services. $11+ per year is still 2 mil more than the Packers high end.

However, I am not sure if Cobb and Nelson are 2 and 1 red. Cobb is not a traditional outside WR, its not his strength, but he can function out there. He is great inside. Plus the backfield option makes him kinda unique. Packer Report said he is the best slot guy in the League, however, even that fails to capture him. He is essentially a new Slash, minus QB snaps.

i'm not sure if i'm about to argue with you or a gree with you, or if the info i'm about to give really has anything to do with your post, but it did bring up the ideaa of cobb being a "slot" wr or a real "wr", if thats the right term. so i'll just throw this info out there that i read somewhere this week

again, not to argue with you or agree with you or whatever. but others have mentioned to cobb is more then just a slot reciever

last year, he lined up 87.5% in the slot. he also lined up a bunch in the basckfield. so even though we really didn't have a great option as the #2 outside WR, cobb spent almost all of his time lined up in the slot

Going higher in the guaranteed money may be the best chance the Packers have to sign him to more reasonable per year number. Either that, or add a bullshit last year on the contract to bump up the averages. The problem with that is that if you don't renegotiate, you have to cut him and then you don't get a chance for a comp pick. A higher guarantee isn't a huge risk for a player like Cobb.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

i'm not sure if i'm about to argue with you or a gree with you, or if the info i'm about to give really has anything to do with your post, but it did bring up the ideaa of cobb being a "slot" wr or a real "wr", if thats the right term. so i'll just throw this info out there that i read somewhere this week

again, not to argue with you or agree with you or whatever. but others have mentioned to cobb is more then just a slot reciever

last year, he lined up 87.5% in the slot. he also lined up a bunch in the basckfield. so even though we really didn't have a great option as the #2 outside WR, cobb spent almost all of his time lined up in the slot
    I agree that he is a slot WR. Although it's something M3 likes to have in his offense, the few times he lines up in the backfield are not that significant for defining his position.

However, Welker was tagged pretty recently, and by a guy who many think is one of the smartest in the business, so it's not unheard of for a slot guy to get tagged.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I would, of course, like to see Randall Cobb re-signed - he's a good fit in this offense and serves purposes that other receivers on the team do not seem to - that slot/out-of-the-backfield, good-when-the-play-breaks-down stuff.

But I also get that one of the reasons TT & Co. field a playoff team every year (and a serious contender every, oh, about four years) is that they have a pay structure in place that allows them enough flexibility to be successful as the pieces change. If paying Cobb blows up that pay structure, then I can see letting him get his coin elsewhere.

On the other hand, as someone here pointed out, one hopes that Jordy Nelson can see the changing sal cap landscape and would be okay if there was a little more corn on the Cobb than on him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The number one concern has to be guaranteed money. You'd go somewhere crappy if that number was sig. higher, because you can't count on staying healthy.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

offer less but guarantee more...see what happens.

I'm sure if you had a job offer to do the same thing you are currently doing for 25% more money, you'd jump at the higher offer. So why can't Cobb do the same thing?

25% more than $9M is $11.25M. I think if Cobb gets an offer for more than that, he's clearly gone. If he gets an offer between $10-$11M/year...that is where it will be more interesting.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    So, if Cobb leaves, would the Pack sign another UFA like say, Kenny Britt?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    So, if Cobb leaves, would the Pack sign another UFA like say, Kenny Britt?
    Like Britt? I hope not. He's too well known to the police.

I wish playoffs and championship pool money was much, much higher. Like 10X's as much. in 2014, the average Seahawk got an extra $150K for the whole playoff.

If it were material - then younger players would want to stay on better teams and be more inclined to take the 'bonus' into account for compensation.

I know I look at a group variable comp closely when assessing jobs... individual variable comp (accelerators, etc) aside.

Andre Johnson is supposed to be available.