Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post

That might not get Tramon signed but I'd rather do that than pay House 3/$21.
    How much is guaranteed in your scheme? Twill is seconds from being done forever. Why blow 10 mil on a signing bonus for him, when you can apply that to House. Assuming (and it's a reasonably big assumption) that House will play at the top level he showed last year.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Cobb does know whats going to happen when he goes to the raiders right?
    Yeah, he'll be filthy rich. And on a losing team, but filthy rich negates that in football as with most other sports.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Not everyone can work at Hertz. Some people need to work at Avis.

I bet the people at Avis are just as happy. The only people counting wins and championships are us.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If Brandt is to be believed, and I think there may be one other story out there that was not during his time, Ted has made last minute decisions to sign at the player's price.
    It ain't just Ted. You can damn well believe that Cobb will be BEGGING for Green Bay to up their offer a bit if he gets an $11M avg from Oakland. He doesn't want to go there. He knows he'll become invisible. No prime time games. No postseason games.

My guess is that Cobb is hoping that the Packers (or another contending team) offer him a deal worth $10M avg once the top of the market is set by the filthy rich teams with nothing to offer by cash. Wasting your prime years in Oakland is a mistake many have come to regret.

I don't see Thompson forking over more than $9M avg though. I think Thompson is ALWAYS content to let teams overpay for people...then browse the bargain bin in a week. There are a lot of aging WRs out there who might have 1 year left in them if Rodgers is the QB throwing them the ball...and they'll be far cheaper than $10M a year.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    It ain't just Ted. You can damn well believe that Cobb will be BEGGING for Green Bay to up their offer a bit if he gets an $11M avg from Oakland. He doesn't want to go there. He knows he'll become invisible. No prime time games. No postseason games.

My guess is that Cobb is hoping that the Packers (or another contending team) offer him a deal worth $10M avg once the top of the market is set by the filthy rich teams with nothing to offer by cash. Wasting your prime years in Oakland is a mistake many have come to regret.

I don't see Thompson forking over more than $9M avg though. I think Thompson is ALWAYS content to let teams overpay for people...then browse the bargain bin in a week. There are a lot of aging WRs out there who might have 1 year left in them if Rodgers is the QB throwing them the ball...and they'll be far cheaper than $10M a year.
    if you were a salesman and had a choice between two companies, would you go to the company that pays you more (including commission), or would you go to the company that promises you more sales, but less money overall?

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post

Ted might fork over $10m but a team like Oakland has oodles of cap space and they can offer guys like Cobb the moon. Let's say McKenzie offers Cobb $11m+. If he does Ted isn't going to match that. He'll offer Randall 10 and it will be up to Cobb if he wants the extra $1m catching passes from Carr or if he'll stay with us catching balls from AR and the chance for a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    if you were a salesman and had a choice between two companies, would you go to the company that pays you more (including commission), or would you go to the company that promises you more sales, but less money overall?
    If I had to choose between delivering mail where I am now, or making 10% more delivering mail in a crime infested neighborhood in Milwaukee, I'd stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Ted might fork over $10m but a team like Oakland has oodles of cap space and they can offer guys like Cobb the moon. Let's say McKenzie offers Cobb $11m+. If he does Ted isn't going to match that. He'll offer Randall 10 and it will be up to Cobb if he wants the extra $1m catching passes from Carr or if he'll stay with us catching balls from AR and the chance for a ring.
    and don't forget, oakland HAS to spend a lot of money. they are about to throw a lot of crazy money at a lot of different guys

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    But we aren't talking about sales. We're talking about championships, notoriety and endorsements which can bring Cobb more money than being invisible in Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If I had to choose between delivering mail where I am now, or making 10% more delivering mail in a crime infested neighborhood in Milwaukee, I'd stay.
    ok, well look at it from the point of view of a young black man

the crime infested milwaukee probably looks a lot safer then being surrounded by a bunch of white people who all own guns and think you're about to rob them

There is also the issue of endorsements. Even though Green Bay is by far the smallest market, Rodgers and Matthews have more national endorsements than most guys in the league because the team wins.

But we aren't talking about sales. We're talking about championships, notoriety and endorsements which can bring Cobb more money than being invisible in Oakland.
    thats what a few of us have been talking about the last few pages

championships mean something to us the fans. to players football is a job/business. and thats not gonna change until super bowl winners start getting massive bonuses

suh is about to become the highest paid defensive player of all time, how much has he won? only a handful of guys get the big endorsements, most will not. and for most it doesn't matter if they win a super bowl or not. being a "winner" has almost no effect on income level

hell look at jay cutler

There is also the issue of endorsements. Even though Green Bay is by far the smallest market, Rodgers and Matthews have more national endorsements than most guys in the league because the team wins.
    disagree, a rod gets his endorsements cause he's the best currently in the game, clay gets his because he's a pretty good looking white guy with long blonde hair and the women love him

how many other recent packers have become national marketing machines?

oh, and lets not forget, it might not be the "oakland" raiders for too much longer

and a player has a much better chance of getting a local marketing deal in LA then they do in green bay

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Russell Wilson got endorsements because he won a SB. Winning accelerates the endorsement prospects. But some guys have no interest in that. They likely just want the money from the contract. Don't know what Cobb wants in the big picture, but given his size I would think that his career will be shorter than bigger WRs, so he likely will take the money while he can.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Is playing for Oakland really upping his chances of an injury?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    If a team wants to pay Cobb $12M then he's gone and I wouldn't want him at that amount. I'm still holding out hope they can get something around $9M. The thought of going into the season with Adams/Janis/Abbrederis as the #2-4 WR has me terrified.
    If Cobb leaves, Boykin could reemerge. In the 10 games that he replaced Cobb in 2013, he had 46 receptions for 600+ yards. When Cobb returned at the end of 2013 and all of 2014, Boykin disappeared. It may just be that Boykin is a good slot receiver, but not good enough to beat starting CB's when lined up outside. Boykin is only 25 years old, and there's no reason why a guy who was a legit #3 in 2013 would be finished.

Cobb is a very important piece of the offence. he's a sure thing, a genuine play maker. can't believe tt is being so short sighted. the window is closing with Rodgers, not opening. He'll be livid if Cobb leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    Cobb is a very important piece of the offence. he's a sure thing, a genuine play maker. can't believe tt is being so short sighted. the window is closing with Rodgers, not opening. He'll be livid if Cobb leaves.
    Rodgers is only 31. Unless he gets a serious injury he can play another 5/6 years or more. He has less wear and tear than other guys his age because he sat on the bench behind #4 for a couple of years. Brady just won a ring at age 37.

We don't know what, if anything, TT has offered Cobb. There are reports out there that Ted offered him $8/9m but who knows if this is true besides those in the negotiations? I suspect a lot of this is just conjecture by reporters trying to fill space in their newspapers and blogs.

Sorry, pet peeve. I think you meant fame not notoriety.......notoriety is bad.