Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    ... but others have mentioned to cobb is more then just a slot reciever

last year, he lined up 87.5% in the slot. he also lined up a bunch in the basckfield. so even though we really didn't have a great option as the #2 outside WR, cobb spent almost all of his time lined up in the slot
    Yep, the Packers run a ton of 3 wide. And it was usually Adams outside with Jordy after Boykin came up a cropper.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    I wish playoffs and championship pool money was much, much higher. Like 10X's as much. in 2014, the average Seahawk got an extra $150K for the whole playoff.

If it were material - then younger players would want to stay on better teams and be more inclined to take the 'bonus' into account for compensation.

I know I look at a group variable comp closely when assessing jobs... individual variable comp (accelerators, etc) aside.
    Good point. Still, players on successful teams tend to have more visibility, which often translates into $$$ in advertising. Affected/tempered of course by local market size, etc., etc.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Gamblin' Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    He lost me at 'standout season by Davante Adams'. He had a good rookie season, but ~500 yards is a long way from a standout season.

JJ did ok this season, btw. Catches and TDs were up from '13, other totals were down but didn't fall right off. Main stat that went the wrong way was YPC, which you can probably blame on QB play.

He's listed as having played all 16 games, but only starting 10, I don't get that.
    This is the Raiders. The team that needs to get younger and so they go sign MJD as a free agent. Then they start and play some combo of MJD & DMC all year while Latavius Murray sits on the bench.

At WR, I think they were starting Andre Holmes and Rod Streater ahead of JJ for a few games. Laughable!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I'm sure if you had a job offer to do the same thing you are currently doing for 25% more money, you'd jump at the higher offer. So why can't Cobb do the same thing?

25% more than $9M is $11.25M. I think if Cobb gets an offer for more than that, he's clearly gone. If he gets an offer between $10-$11M/year...that is where it will be more interesting.
    yup, that why i mentioned that exact thing on the last page, or maybe it was this one

it was a shot at the people who have been saying "of cobb isn't all about the money, if TT comes withon a million dollars of what someone else offers him, he'll stay". "he's not like all the others"

sounds like cobbs agent told the packers he wanted 10 a year, and the packers countered with the 8-9 million a year figure we heard, so cobb is hitting the market where the raiders have announced (through an unnamed sourse inside the organization because that would be tampering if someone with a name said it) they'll give him between 11 and 12 million a year

it seems like the hometown discount was for about 10 million a year. waaay too much IMO. the packers offer was right where it should have been IMO

Greg Olson just got 7.5/mil per year. Cobb isn't worth $2.5mil more at 24 years old?? Come on.

There's something to be said about having a target, but to lose the guy over $1m is just stubborn.

EDIT -- Now if the story is that they want to use that money to bring in some other big time players then fine, but if they roll cap space into next year and lose out on Cobb over $1m I'm going to go apeshit.

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Greg Olson just got 7.5/mil per year. Cobb isn't worth $2.5mil more at 24 years old?? Come on.

There's something to be said about having a target, but to lose the guy over $1m is just stubborn.

EDIT -- Now if the story is that they want to use that money to bring in some other big time players then fine, but if they roll cap space into next year and lose out on Cobb over $1m I'm going to go apeshit.
    if you give everyone, just another million a year, we end up about 52 million over the cap

or in our case around 45 million over

if you give everyone just an extra 10% we end up over the cap too

gotta draw your lines and stick to your guns sometimes

but yeah, i would hope we use that money to sign some decent free agents if we don't spend it on him. its not like we have a bunch of bigtime contracts coming due in the next year, do we?

if you give everyone, just another million a year, we end up about 52 million over the cap

but yeah, i would hope we use that money to sign some decent free agents if we don't spend it on him. its not like we have a bunch of bigtime contracts coming due in the next year, do we?
    Now you're just being reasonable. Where's the vitriol I've come to expect? Man, this offseason is weird.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Now you're just being reasonable. Where's the vitriol I've come to expect? Man, this offseason is weird.
    eh, new meds

Raiders with even more money to spend. I'm guessing that Cobb will be gone as either the Jags or Raiders will probably offer him in the $11 - $13 million range or a lot more guaranteed money. Both teams need to generate some excitement in their fan base and they both have a lot of money that has to be spent. Shit, between the two of them they can buy just about everybody.

@VicTafur: Branch, Woodley and Jones-Drew off the books puts #Raiders at $64 million under the salary cap. Schaub's departure will make it $69.5 million.

Blog Entries
    I figured Cobb would sign with us for 5 yrs at 45 mil, 20 mill gar.

Boy was I wrong.

This FA market is so crazy, it drove Red beyond nuts out into a calm state.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I figured Cobb would sign with us for 5 yrs at 45 mil, 20 mill gar.

Boy was I wrong.

This FA market is so crazy, it drove Red beyond nuts out into a calm state.

One of the interesting things is some teams are way below the spending floor. They literally have to hand somebody the money.

That doesn't really work in this situation. How many players don't even make $1mm? We're not talking about a 200% raise, we're talking 11% for a guy who made some of our most clutch plays last year and is the top ranked WR on the market. The line in the sand is in the sand for a reason...
    Maybe you can't even get this done for $10mm now... Maybe none of this matters.

There are going to be a lot of deals that just don't make sense coming up. As others have mentioned, the floor completely changes the game.

Cobb does know whats going to happen when he goes to the raiders right?
    C.H.U.D.

Blog Entries
    sounds like cobbs agent told the packers he wanted 10 a year, and the packers countered with the 8-9 million a year figure we heard, so cobb is hitting the market where the raiders have announced (through an unnamed sourse inside the organization because that would be tampering if someone with a name said it) they'll give him between 11 and 12 million a year

it seems like the hometown discount was for about 10 million a year. waaay too much IMO. the packers offer was right where it should have been IMO
    I think I'd pay that if that's true. Sign Cobb at 4/40, $20 mil guaranteed. Bulaga 3/27 $15 guaranteed. Tramon 3/15. Probably gotta give him $10 mil to sign. He'd be overpaid by the end of that deal but he'd make a decent dime/contingency CB at some point if/when he loses a step.

That might not get Tramon signed but I'd rather do that than pay House 3/$21.

Draft a couple inside linebackers, a corner or two, an OLB or two, maybe a fast slot receiver, TE and have at it. That's $25 mil if you stretch out the signing bonuses and still leaves $8 mil in the rollover fund.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I think I'd pay that if that's true. Sign Cobb at 4/40, $20 mil guaranteed. Bulaga 3/27 $15 guaranteed. Tramon 3/15. Probably gotta give him $10 mil to sign. He'd be overpaid by the end of that deal but he'd make a decent dime/contingency CB at some point if/when he loses a step.

Draft a couple inside linebackers, a corner or two, an OLB or two, maybe a fast slot receiver, TE and have at it. That's $25 mil if you stretch out the signing bonuses and still leaves $8 mil in the rollover fund.
    LOVE YOUR PLAN Vince

Remember when Cobb was our 5th passing option on offense ? Now he's 1B
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post

I wish we knew what Ted offered Cobb. $10m per isn't bad but if Cobb's agent knows he can get $11.5+ from a team like Oakland or Jax we can live with him leaving. That would take Cobb out of the NFC and onto a team that isn't going anywhere any time soon.

This number has been reported from a number of different places and not just the usual. I tend to believe it:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 12h12 hours ago Green Bay, WI
    RT @CharlesRobinson: League source says #Packers balked at paying Cobb contract averaging $10M per year. He'll hit free agency.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This number has been reported from a number of different places and not just the usual. I tend to believe it:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 12h12 hours ago Green Bay, WI
    RT @CharlesRobinson: League source says #Packers balked at paying Cobb contract averaging $10M per year. He'll hit free agency.
    If it comes down to $10M vs the Packers offer of $9M I'll be pissed at both Cobb and the Packers. If it's $11M+ it's hard to fault either side.
    Go PACK

If Brandt is to be believed, and I think there may be one other story out there that was not during his time, Ted has made last minute decisions to sign at the player's price.

He did so for Clifton and Shields. So $9 million is not a line in stone. More like a line in dry, baked clay.