Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Tag and trade him.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Let's say Cobb is worth $9M/year, that doesn't automatically mean the Packers should give it to him. No team can afford to have top paid guys at every position. Without Nelson, they might be happy to pay that to Cobb. If both were FAs, I wonder which would be their priority?

Some sya slot receivers are not being paid that much, but Cobb is more than just a slot receiver. His versatility allowed MM to be more creative.

The next couple weeks will be interesting.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Arguably Cobb is the best slot receiver in the NFL. Pack needs to re-sign him. That said, there are a couple guys in the draft that are Cobb clones...Phillip Dorsett and Tyler Lockett. Either one of these guys could step right in and take over if Cobb doesn't sign with us. Offense wouldn't skip a beat.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Let's say Cobb is worth $9M/year, that doesn't automatically mean the Packers should give it to him. No team can afford to have top paid guys at every position. Without Nelson, they might be happy to pay that to Cobb. If both were FAs, I wonder which would be their priority?

Some sya slot receivers are not being paid that much, but Cobb is more than just a slot receiver. His versatility allowed MM to be more creative.

The next couple weeks will be interesting.
    Some of that creativity is because Cobb doesn't escape press man coverage well. In the backfield, he is more likely to get a linebacker. He isn't in the backfield to run, though they do need to run him on occasion to keep the defense honest with that linebacker.

He is an odd slot receiver. He is better at getting open after the play has broken down. The Packers would certainly miss him, but I am not convinced he is worth Nelson money. That would be a signing down out of lack of depth. Someone mentioned the last three draft picks need to pay off, but while Adams would seem ready to step in, Abbredaris, Boykin and Janis are uncertainties.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Some of that creativity is because Cobb doesn't escape press man coverage well. In the backfield, he is more likely to get a linebacker. He isn't in the backfield to run, though they do need to run him on occasion to keep the defense honest with that linebacker.

He is an odd slot receiver. He is better at getting open after the play has broken down. The Packers would certainly miss him, but I am not convinced he is worth Nelson money. That would be a signing down out of lack of depth. Someone mentioned the last three draft picks need to pay off, but while Adams would seem ready to step in, Abbredaris, Boykin and Janis are uncertainties.
    I'd say Boykin's a certainty
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Well they better sign him soon because the amount of FA money just keeps climbing. The Cardinals just waived Darnell Dockett and the Dolphins, just refer to them as Jets 2.0, have released every WR but Mike Wallace.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rnell-dockett/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rian-hartline/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...randon-gibson/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    I'm starting to think a tag and sign might be a possibility here. I'd rather not see a $12.5 mil cap hit but they can spread that if necessary when they lock him up longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Arguably Cobb is the best slot receiver in the NFL. Pack needs to re-sign him. That said, there are a couple guys in the draft that are Cobb clones...Phillip Dorsett and Tyler Lockett. Either one of these guys could step right in and take over if Cobb doesn't sign with us. Offense wouldn't skip a beat.
    Scrambling to google Phillip Dorsett and Tyler Lockett for a more focused examination and 'NO' Randall Cobb.

On second thought ............why?

What are the guarantee on either of these NFL prospects ( and 'any LOCK NFL success) Vs the bona fide Randall Cobb?

It's the age old 'bird in the hand is worth ..... whatever' argument'.

I'll make this prediction right now:

If the Packers lose Randall Cobb. You can write off next season and any hope of going to and winning the Super Bowl.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

At times I think NFL front offices need to be concerned about the perception that they are willing to re-sign their very top talent. The Packers being primarily a draft and develop team, it is important for them to retain the best of the developed talent, and that would be Cobb among the skill position guys. It might be tougher to retain that talent if the perception by the players ever becomes, "I get drafted by the Packers, I play at a high, productive level, and they let me walk before my second contract." That would not be a good trend. I understand that you also shouldn't do FA signings as PR moves, but to me, if you are not going to sign your best, who are you going to sign? As many have noted here, TT usually gets a second contract done with highly productive players. I see them getting something done with Cobb.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    At times I think NFL front offices need to be concerned about the perception that they are willing to re-sign their very top talent. The Packers being primarily a draft and develop team, it is important for them to retain the best of the developed talent, and that would be Cobb among the skill position guys. It might be tougher to retain that talent if the perception by the players ever becomes, "I get drafted by the Packers, I play at a high, productive level, and they let me walk before my second contract." That would not be a good trend. I understand that you also shouldn't do FA signings as PR moves, but to me, if you are not going to sign your best, who are you going to sign? As many have noted here, TT usually gets a second contract done with highly productive players. I see them getting something done with Cobb.
    Common sense dictates that YOU ARE 100% correct !!

If the packers lose COB the Packers advertising of Draft and develop and it's all about the family will be seriously left in ill repute.

TT must get this done and retain Randall Cobb.

TT's failed in the obvious before.....Randy Moss..and that cost the Packers another Super Bowl berth and likely win. I can 'only' hope that lack of focus and all the scapegoating I read here on that ....took Ted Thompson 'to school'.

The reputation of Ted Thompson and the 'Green Bay Packer FAMILY' is seriously on the line and Randall Cobb.

GO Ted Thompson GO !! >>> GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

So Ted is gonna force Cobb to resign with us holding a gun to his head? If some team offers Randall a ridiculous contract that screws up our cap chances are Cobb is gonna walk away. It will depend upon what Randall wants. Does he want to continue to play with the best QB in football and possibly get a ring or does he want to pad his bank account. I'd be disappointed if he leaves but it won't be the end of the world. Ted has a great knack for finding WRs in the draft and this is another good WR class.

I'm not in the camp that believes not signing Randy Moss cost us a SB berth. If Moss was the answer how come he didn't help NE win one?

watching lots of Packers replays today...also lots of clutch, very important, plays by cobb. they're NOT going to let that get away.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    So Ted is gonna force Cobb to resign with us holding a gun to his head? If some team offers Randall a ridiculous contract that screws up our cap chances are Cobb is gonna walk away. It will depend upon what Randall wants. Does he want to continue to play with the best QB in football and possibly get a ring or does he want to pad his bank account. I'd be disappointed if he leaves but it won't be the end of the world. Ted has a great knack for finding WRs in the draft and this is another good WR class.
    Pugger, you're right. Cobb might get a ridiculous offer elsewhere, and Green Bay may not match it, so in that case, I guess they'd be doing what is cap responsible. What I was referring to was making him a priority signing with a generous and fair offer to stay with the club. I don't think they will low ball him and let him walk.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...a-letroy-guion

Look at the tweet right after the end of the article.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    If the Packers lose Randall Cobb. You can write off next season and any hope of going to and winning the Super Bowl.
    So if Cobb gets hurt early again, the season will be lost? I don't think that would be the case. The Packers have been able to weather the loses of a lot of players.

If they lose Cobb in FA, they can plan the offense to play without him. It will be easier than if he is lost for the year in camp or early in the season. I think they will be able to make do.

They can tag him, and still allow him to seek offers elsewhere. Then, they can either match or negotiate a deal to give the other team the power to sign him. Doesn't have to be two first rounders. I'd say a tag is plausible, as that 12.5 guaranteed salary can just become part of the signing bonus that's sure to be well north of that amount anyway.

The fact that Cobb is not tagged leads me to believe a deal is imminent, but it's not proof positive, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Scrambling to google Phillip Dorsett and Tyler Lockett for a more focused examination and 'NO' Randall Cobb.

On second thought ............why?

What are the guarantee on either of these NFL prospects ( and 'any LOCK NFL success) Vs the bona fide Randall Cobb?

It's the age old 'bird in the hand is worth ..... whatever' argument'.

I'll make this prediction right now:

I don't want to lose Cobb either but I think this is a little melodramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't want to lose Cobb either but I think this is a little melodramatic.
    Completely disagree. Unless we have someone of equal talent or production I think our offense loses a lot of potency. Cobb scores tds and converts 3rd downs. Our defense isn't going to be lights out any time soon so we need fire power. I doubt a rookie or a 2nd year guy who contributed zilch last year can replace that. We aren't contenders with a diminished offense in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    They can tag him, and still allow him to seek offers elsewhere. Then, they can either match or negotiate a deal to give the other team the power to sign him. Doesn't have to be two first rounders. I'd say a tag is plausible, as that 12.5 guaranteed salary can just become part of the signing bonus that's sure to be well north of that amount anyway.

The fact that Cobb is not tagged leads me to believe a deal is imminent, but it's not proof positive, obviously.
    No way will they franchise tag him. At $12.5 million, it would put his salary into an entirely different bracket. A player who gets tagged starts negotiating at 2X the cap number as the guaranteed amount for the next contract. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-term-deals/

He will walk for far less than $12.5 and the tag won't even come up.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Completely disagree. Unless we have someone of equal talent or production I think our offense loses a lot of potency. Cobb scores tds and converts 3rd downs. Our defense isn't going to be lights out any time soon so we need fire power. I doubt a rookie or a 2nd year guy who contributed zilch last year can replace that. We aren't contenders with a diminished offense in my opinion.
    You can't build a team and keep the cap in shape with a "this player is almost indispensable, we won't make the Super Bowl without him" approach. Maybe for you QB and maybe for one player on the Defense. But certainly not a WR.

Woodbuck earlier (weeks ago) said he wanted Cobb signed _now_ for $8.5 million per over four years. He apparently wants $9 mil per. At exactly what price do you advise the Packers to say no to?

Or should the Packers tag him?