Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I doubt a rookie or a 2nd year guy who contributed zilch last year can replace that. We aren't contenders with a diminished offense in my opinion.
    Are you considering Adams to be the guy who contributed zilch, or are you talking about Janis and Abbrederis?

[QUOTE=Patler;829463]Are you considering Adams to be the guy who contributed zilch, or are you talking about Janis and Abbrederis?[/QUOTE

I meant zilch literally.

The Packers have an amount they are willing to pay for every free agent on their team. Just as they rate a player in the draft according to the position they are willing to draft them. If they do not rate one of the available ILBs in this draft worthy of the 30th pick in the draft, they will not draft them, or they will trade down to a position where they would be willing to draft them. I'm sure Cobb and Bulaga have been slotted accordingly. They won't pay significantly over what their value indicates. This is the only way to manage the cap in the NFL today. Overpaying for a free agent may not hurt you this year, but it very definitely will sometime through the remainder of the contract. You don't overpay for free agents from your team or from other teams. Sherman did that and Thompson had to fix the cap. hey won't let history repeat itself on Thompson's watch.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    absolutely. So Cobb will likely test the FA market and have to decide if the marginal increase in SB he gets from another team is worth the risk of seeing his career slide, no playoffs, no pro bowl, and a meager third contract. He either better be going to another team with a very good QB and weapons or be getting a substantially greater SB/guaranteed money.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Cobb will not, in my opinion, leave Green Bay to go to Cleveland or Jacksonville. He doesn't want to end up like Greg Jennings or Eric Decker. Now, if Seattle, Denver, New England or Indy come calling, that could be different. The question though is whether teams with a great QB feel the need to pay big money for a slot receiver. I think he'll be back with Green Bay on March 9 after most of Packer Nation has a collective heart attack.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Well, you can tell Cobb is a fan favorite. Much passion on this thread. My view is more neutral. If we can sign him at a reasonable paycheck, great. If we can't, tough titty, time to give one of the new kids a shot and/or draft a replacement. My opinion is we have much higher needs on the team (ILB, TE, somebody in the middle of the DL, etc). Its a tough business which does not allow us to sign everybody we want, ya gots to have priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    Well, you can tell Cobb is a fan favorite. Much passion on this thread. My view is more neutral. If we can sign him at a reasonable paycheck, great. If we can't, tough titty, time to give one of the new kids a shot and/or draft a replacement. My opinion is we have much higher needs on the team (ILB, TE, somebody in the middle of the DL, etc). Its a tough business which does not allow us to sign everybody we want, ya gots to have priorities.
    You do need priorities, and one of TT's priorities has been to make sure his QB has weapons. If Cobb isn't signed, this will be the most unproven group of WR's the Packers have has since 2006, when the had Driver and rookie Greg Jennings as the starters. Not saying it will all end badly if Cobb isn't signed, but it would be a bigger question mark than usual.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    Well, you can tell Cobb is a fan favorite.
    absolutely
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think this is more than fan favorite. The bench was supremely loaded 3 years ago and for a while it looked like only Driver would leave.

But then Jennings and Jones left and Boykin didn't pick it up in Year 2. Depth is a much different and younger story now. It also might allow Ted more room for Cobb's contract. If Jennings and Jones were still hear even at team friendly deals, it wouldn't fit.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I wonder if Ted is still smarting and learning from the Brad Jones quandry. Ted let the cupboard get bare and so I think ponied up more than he would probably normally have.

Will he think he doesn't want to overpay again?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I wonder if Ted is still smarting and learning from the Brad Jones quandry. Ted let the cupboard get bare and so I think ponied up more than he would probably normally have.

Will he think he doesn't want to overpay again?
    I don't think anyone is smarting over Brad Jones. Those types of deals happen everywhere when a player doesn't ascend like anticipated. And there are other differences, mainly that Cobb has put together a probowl season, and Jones did not.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Cobb will not, in my opinion, leave Green Bay to go to Cleveland or Jacksonville. He doesn't want to end up like Greg Jennings or Eric Decker. Now, if Seattle, Denver, New England or Indy come calling, that could be different. The question though is whether teams with a great QB feel the need to pay big money for a slot receiver. I think he'll be back with Green Bay on March 9 after most of Packer Nation has a collective heart attack.
    I could see the Colts making a play. They have $40M available. Cobb is similar in size to T.Y. Hilton, but I think Hilton plays mostly on the outside.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

packers said to be very interested in hurricane Phillip Dorsett

possible cobb replacement

5-9 or 5-10, 185 pounds. 4.33 speed. stole the show at the senior bowl

could be this years 2nd round WR pick for us

Sources say that Dorsett could be a steal on the second day of the 2015 NFL Draft. They say he has elite speed and will be a vertical weapon in the NFL. As a prospect, Dorsett is said to have a similar skill set to Mike Wallace, but Dorsett is more polished as a route-runner than Wallace was coming out of Ole Miss in 2009.

Dorsett was one of the stars of the Senior Bowl as he dominated in practice. He was constantly getting separation with his elite speed and route-running. Dorsett looks like a big-play threat, but also does well in the short part of the field because of how sudden he is in and out of his breaks.

Entering the Senior Bowl, Dorsett had gone under the radar, but performed really well as a senior. Miami was playing a freshman quarterback in 2014 and leaned on running back Duke Johnson, thus Dorsett didn't get many targets and had only 36 receptions on the season. However, Dorsett showed his talent by averaging 24 yards per reception for 871 yards and 10 touchdowns. A knee injury took away a chunk of his junior year, but as a sophomore, he had 58 catches for 842 yards and four touchdowns.
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2015WR.php

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    packers said to be very interested in hurricane Phillip Dorsett

possible cobb replacement

5-9 or 5-10, 185 pounds. 4.33 speed. stole the show at the senior bowl

could be this years 2nd round WR pick for us

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015WR.php
    we need a sure thing like cobb...not a maybe-he'll-be-there-when-we-pick-in-the-xrd guy.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    we need a sure thing like cobb...not a maybe-he'll-be-there-when-we-pick-in-the-xrd guy.
    yeah, but i'm sure TT likes the look of 400,000 a year over the next 4 years vs the 8.5-9.5 million a year cobb will get over that same time

I wonder what the asking price would be for Greg Jennings if the Vikings release him. He might not be able to beat elite CB's anymore, but he probably has enough left to be an effective slot receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I wonder what the asking price would be for Greg Jennings if the Vikings release him. He might not be able to beat elite CB's anymore, but he probably has enough left to be an effective slot receiver.
    good question

no clue

it would be a good way to gauge just how badly making a switch from a hall of fame QB, to crap/rookie QB can affect a guys value

And further evidence that the Sign Him Now crowd is Out To Lunch.

One source said the word going around at the NFL combine league personnel staff and executives was that his price was $12 million per year.
    Now that is a complete a rumor as you will get as JSO. But it kinda puts a different spin on the talks so far, doesn't it?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/294719831.html
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Dorsett was a guy I liked but Mayock and others have really put the spotlight on him, so the cat's out now...

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    ... The fact that Cobb has OPENLY STATED he is agreeable to a fair contract value, and yet is not signed, should be concerning to you if you believe Cobb should be resigned. Cobb isn't asking for the moon...so it stands to reason that Thompson is being stingy or just doesn't really want to put more money into the receiver position.
    If the following is true, does it change your opinion at all about whether Cobb was being fair, Cobb is asking for the moon, or Thompson is being stingy?

The Packers may have set a ceiling of $10 million per year with Cobb since that is what veteran Jordy Nelson receives and they probably don't want to pay him more. Cobb appears to have a higher number than that. One source said the word going around at the NFL combine league personnel staff and executives was that his price was $12 million per year.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/294719831.html