Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    What is the top end dollar amount (yearly plus guarantee) that you would be willing to commit to keep him around?
    From post #8 this thread:

$8.5 M$ / Year X 4 Yrs .... $20 M$ guaranteed
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://www.totalpackers.com/2015/02/...ag-going-huge/

Randall Cobb’s Price Tag is Going to Be Huge

" the floor for Cobb is likely $7 million annually. The ceiling is certainly a good deal higher.

That’s great Randall and awful for the Packers.

Before the season, we anticipated Cobb would get a deal around $5-6 million annually. Then an extension didn’t get done and he went out and had a career year. The Packers now have absolutely no leverage.

The only thing they have is this question. How much can we afford to invest in two receivers? "

Comment woodbuck27:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

Projected CAP Room: 2015 - $23,722,642

Randall Cobb showed the NFL who he is in 2014. I'm starting to get used to the Green Bay Packers not signing Randall Cobb.

Look at his age and the whole package he offers an NFL team.

I hoped Ted Thompson would get Randall Cobb wrapped up. I know TT loves to play the waiting game.

This is a very special player.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Some pictures are worth $Millions$.

Where would the Packers offense have been without Randall Cobb at seasons end? Jordy Nelson wasn't the positive factor that Randall Cobb was.

He's one of the best receivers in a stacked free agency WR class period. It won't be cheap for Green Bay to bring him back. The Packers will carry over approx.$7.8 M$ in unused cap space that might be uses to secure Randall Cobb. Hopefully TT says goodbye to AJ Hawk and Brad Jones, that he doesn't allow BJ Raji's agent to hood wink him. Ted Thompson also has to restructure Tramon Williams and do the same with Julius Peppers. Both have personal claims it should be otherwise.

Randall Cobb could easily move to the top of the FA WR class if Dallas secures Dez Bryant. Imagine the Cowboys absent Bryant? Would Philly allow Jeremy Macklin to get away?

He's five years younger than Jordy Nelson and there are now predictions that he'll receive more than the 5-year $43 million price tag for Jordy Nelson.

Will Ted Thompson allow Randall Cobb to move to another team once the price exceeds $9 M$ per year? It sure looks like that's where this story is headed. Right now it appears that it's a waiting game to seal the deal on what Randall Cobb could deserve.

Patience is the $purse$.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-07-2015 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I know TT loves to play the waiting game.
    What if Randall's ask is above what you were willing to pay in Message #21?

Is that waiting?

Thompson has signed a bunch of guys prior to their FA market. But if they can't agree, then the player is going to wait for the market to act.

I suspect that if Cobb could be had for between 7 an 8 million annually, it would be a done deal. The question likely is how close (or over) he will be to Jordy.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    What if Randall's ask is above what you were willing to pay in Message #21?

Is that waiting?

Thompson has signed a bunch of guys prior to their FA market. But if they can't agree, then the player is going to wait for the market to act.

I suspect that if Cobb could be had for between 7 an 8 million annually, it would be a done deal. The question likely is how close (or over) he will be to Jordy.
    "What if Randall's ask is above what you were willing to pay in Message #21?

Is that waiting?" pbmax

That would be a refusal.

Last year Victor Cruz signed a 5 year, 43 million dollar contract with the Giants. This is what Cobb will try to beat, but he won't beat it by much. 4 years, 36 million or 5/45 sounds right to me.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...291218441.html

Green Bay Packers

Will Green Bay Packers pony up or pass on Randall Cobb?

By: Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Feb. 8, 2015

" ... And business, for NFL wide receivers, couldn't be better. A handful of the league's best are up for new contracts — Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Cobb, Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith and Michael Crabtree. Of course, teams can still lock up unrestricted free agents before the spending spree officially begins March 10. The franchise tag is expected to be around $12.7 million for wide receivers if teams want to use that option. ..."

GO PACK GO !

Today at 8:34 PM EST ... 16 Feb. 2015

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky

Indications are that WR Randall Cobb is seeking a deal that averages in the $9 million-per-year range.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...illion-a-year/

Randall Cobb looking for $9 million a year

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 16, 2015, 3:27 PM EST
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-16-2015 at 09:56 PM.

i'm beginning to think that cobb might be leaving

the two sides have been working for awhile, and the deal isn't done. i'm thinking the packers have a number, and they aren't gonna budge from that (proven by the jennings negotiation)

and IMO, that number might be a lot lower then a lot of us think, and the team might have a good reason for that. they have proven in the past that they have no problem letting wr's leave if they think they have the talent on the roster to fill in (jennings, driver, jones). adams came on late last year, we have jordy as a clear deep threat #1, sounds like m3 has big hopes for janis, and a lot of us think Abbrederis has got what it takes. not to mention this looks like another freakishly deep draft for wr's just like last year where we can get good talent in the mid to late rounds

and oh, a-rod seems to be able to make and WR look good, proven by jennings and jones not amounting to much after they left

and i think it might be a wise move to NOT tie up a lot of money in another WR

I'm also getting the feeling he'll be gone. As others have said, that would be a lot of money tied up in the WR position, is that something they want to do?

OTOH, the Packers have sunk big money into multiple players at other positions - CB and OLB - so maybe they will.

I do wonder why the deal didn't get done during the season. Was it a matter of Cobb betting on himself? After the injury in 2013, I would've thought he was motivated to get some money in the bank sooner rather than later.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    and i think it might be a wise move to NOT tie up a lot of money in another WR
    Why? Putting money toward keeping good players is fine. Cobb is a good player...he's young...he's ascending. Thompson should focus on NOT putting money toward mediocre or average players. That is what destroys your cap.

The Packers let Jennings go because he was not young and no longer ascending. Same with Jones. The Packers also had capable PROVEN young talent rising when they let those guys go...like Nelson, Cobb, etc. That is no longer true. Adams looks capable...but I don't think he's proven yet. Everything behind Adams is a complete unknown at this point. I don't care what McCarthy "thinks" about who is going to step up. He doesn't know...neither does anyone else at this point.

There are a lot of FA receivers this year...and none of them are getting locked up yet. I think everyone is waiting for the market to firm up for these guys. The lack of movement is more of a "business" decision than a sign that Green Bay isn't interested in keeping Cobb.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Why? Putting money toward keeping good players is fine. Cobb is a good player...he's young...he's ascending. Thompson should focus on NOT putting money toward mediocre or average players. That is what destroys your cap.

The Packers let Jennings go because he was not young and no longer ascending. Same with Jones. The Packers also had capable PROVEN young talent rising when they let those guys go...like Nelson, Cobb, etc. That is no longer true. Adams looks capable...but I don't think he's proven yet. Everything behind Adams is a complete unknown at this point. I don't care what McCarthy "thinks" about who is going to step up. He doesn't know...neither does anyone else at this point.

There are a lot of FA receivers this year...and none of them are getting locked up yet. I think everyone is waiting for the market to firm up for these guys. The lack of movement is more of a "business" decision than a sign that Green Bay isn't interested in keeping Cobb.
    The lack of movement in getting the top WRs signed by the teams they played for last year is interesting. Bryant, Cobb and Demaryius are all unsigned. Maclin as well.

I wonder if part of it is because of the high franchise tag at that position? At 12M, does that reduce its effectiveness as a bargaining lever teams can use?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    Just sign him already...5Yr 44MIL
    Get it down. You keep ascending players. You keep Randall Cobb
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    I think I read somewhere that Cobb's agent would be meeting with the Packers at the Combine. Would Ted actually be able to stop drooling over the rooks long enough to close a deal for Cobb?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Just sign him already...5Yr 44MIL
    Get it down. You keep ascending players. You keep Randall Cobb
    This. The dropoff would be massive without him. We need him to compete for superbowls.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post

They offered Jennings a nice contract previous to his last season with the Packers. I don't remember the numbers, but they were around 10 mil. He chose to turn that down and play for the opportunity to get more. Then he got injured, had a subpar season, and probably lost money on Green Bay's original offer.

At the time, and soon after he left the Packers, he and his retinue made comments to the effect that Rodgers was holding Jennings back by not feeding him the ball. He acted a bit like a diva at the end and ended up getting overpaid by the Vikings. Turned out that Rodgers can make a big difference for a WR.

I don't get that air from Cobb. I get the sense that he likes playing with Rodgers and sees their relationship as more of a connection than a competition. Rodgers, too, has made comments about how much he enjoys the connection he has with Randall.

And I think they cut Jones to free up a bit more room to work on Bulaga and Cobb.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

No team's in a hurry right now, either. I think both sides were waiting to find out the 2015 salary cap was going to be before they engaged in any serious negotiation. The fact that they let Jones go pretty shortly after the cap was announced makes me think that they have a deal or two in progress.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    No team's in a hurry right now, either. I think both sides were waiting to find out the 2015 salary cap was going to be before they engaged in any serious negotiation. The fact that they let Jones go pretty shortly after the cap was announced makes me think that they have a deal or two in progress.
    Start of free agency is March 10. At least it won't be too much longer one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    This. The dropoff would be massive without him. We need him to compete for superbowls.
    What if Cobb thinks he gets more than this elsewhere?

Can you really pay a slot guy almost $2 million more a year than the last FA deal?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.