Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    And I think they cut Jones to free up a bit more room to work on Bulaga and Cobb.
    That, and the fact that Jones no longer figures into their plans at all as a backup or STs. No point carrying him to camp at that salary, because an injury in a team activity could cost them a lot. I think he would have been cut even if they had no intention to sign anyone.

First, let me make the following clear:
    - I fully expect they will re-sign Cobb, unless he gets a massive deal somewhere.
    - I want them to re-sign Cobb.

That said, I don't think all is lost if he goes elsewhere. Much of what I am hearing about Cobb being irreplaceable I heard about Walker when he was holding out, Driver when his contracts were due and when he was aging, Jennings when hiis future was debated for two years, Finley when his contract was up and when his future became doubtful and Nelson when his contract was due. To a lesser degree, there was worry about Jones departure. Now it's Cobb's turn.

I think reality is that they don't need to replace anyone, they simple reformulate a bit to take advantage of what the next guy in line has to offer.

If Cobb were to leave, I think the offense would be fine with Adams. Rodgers II could step forward at TE ("Q" is what he is at this point). With a possible return to form by Boykin (perhaps unlikely), and/or steps up by Abbrederis or Janis and another likely draft pick or two at WR and/or TE, they will be fine. Sure, each and every one is indefinite, but they don't need all of them to blossom, just one or two.

I don't want them to lose Cobb, but I will not anguish over it if they do; nor will my expectations for the upcoming season go down because of it.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    First, let me make the following clear:
    - I fully expect they will re-sign Cobb, unless he gets a massive deal somewhere.
    - I want them to re-sign Cobb.

That said, I don't think all is lost if he goes elsewhere. Much of what I am hearing about Cobb being irreplaceable I heard about Walker when he was holding out, Driver when his contracts were due and when he was aging, Jennings when hiis future was debated for two years, Finley when his contract was up and when his future became doubtful and Nelson when his contract was due. To a lesser degree, there was worry about Jones departure. Now it's Cobb's turn.

I think reality is that they don't need to replace anyone, they simple reformulate a bit to take advantage of what the next guy in line has to offer.

If Cobb were to leave, I think the offense would be fine with Adams. Rodgers II could step forward at TE ("Q" is what he is at this point). With a possible return to form by Boykin (perhaps unlikely), and/or steps up by Abbrederis or Janis and another likely draft pick or two at WR and/or TE, they will be fine. Sure, each and every one is indefinite, but they don't need all of them to blossom, just one or two.

I don't want them to lose Cobb, but I will not anguish over it if they do; nor will my expectations for the upcoming season go down because of it.
    I agree. Packers don't seem to have problems finding wide receivers. No sense busting the bank to sign Cobb. Do I want to keep him, sure, but I would rather see the money go to higher needs on the team. It will be super bowl next year so you do what ya gotta do...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    I agree. Packers don't seem to have problems finding wide receivers. No sense busting the bank to sign Cobb. Do I want to keep him, sure, but I would rather see the money go to higher needs on the team. It will be super bowl next year so you do what ya gotta do...
    exactly

ad in the fact that TT knows how to find wr's, M33 knows how to coach them up, and a-rod knows how to get the best out of him

we already have one clear cut #1 in jordy, do we really need to pay two #1s?, with our wr factory?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    exactly

ad in the fact that TT knows how to find wr's, M33 knows how to coach them up, and a-rod knows how to get the best out of him

we already have one clear cut #1 in jordy, do we really need to pay two #1s?, with our wr factory?
    I'm really torn about what to think about this. Everything you say is right, but I have to wonder, is Cobb a special player? 100 catches, 1300 yards, yes Rodgers makes his WRs better, but you can't credit him with all of those yards. The announcers are always raving about how Cobb gets open on broken plays/when Rodgers gets flushed from the pocket, with Rodgers propensity to hold the ball too long, how important is that, and is it something that can easily be found?

Of course, the announcers, especially Buck, always say that's because Cobb used to be a QB, which is a load. Being a QB in HS and as part of a wildcat formation in colledge gives you exactly zero insight into how to be a good receiver in the NFL game!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

you don't let difference makers get away. remember those bf years without difference makers on o?! there's plenty of cap room to resign our best guys and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    you don't let difference makers get away. remember those bf years without difference makers on o?! there's plenty of cap room to resign our best guys and then some.
    i said the exact same thing during jennings last year, until he and his sister went all nazi on us

we survived

most of us didn't like to see a very solid #3 in james jones leave last year, we drafted 3 rookies and moved on

we survived

i love cobb, but some people need to prepare for the very real possibility that he will not be a packer in just over 2 weeks

i said the exact same thing during jennings last year, until he and his sister went all nazi on us

we survived

most of us didn't like to see a very solid #3 in james jones leave last year, we drafted 3 rookies and moved on

we survived

i love cobb, but some people need to prepare for the very real possibility that he will not be a packer in just over 2 weeks
    Jennings and Jones were not ascending players when TT let them leave. And they weren't 24 years old either. The Packers would survive without Cobb, but it would be very out of character for TT to let Cobb leave at this point.

I like Cobb, I want to see him as a Packer. If he's not resigned, I'll survive, but I DO NOT want to see him in a Bears, Lions or Vikings uniform. That, I will not be able to live with.

Blog Entries

we survived

we survived

Big difference between then and now. I wasn't sweating the potential loss of either of those guys because Cobb was waiting in the wings. Plus, Jones is decent but eminently replaceable. Unlike years/receivers past, I'm not seeing another guy on the roster to effectively replace Cobb.

Rodgers might be able to incorporate some other guys but I'd be shocked to see Abrederis as the next 1,200 yard, 12 TD receiver at this point. We don't even know if he'll be able to stay on the field. Maybe the combination of him, Adams and Janis can fill the void, but without Cobb, Jordy's not as effective either.

They'll go on and be good but I don't see how you can argue they're as good without Cobb at this point. He's a pretty important piece.

As we talk about Cobb's potential contract, what is Nelson's contract, really?

Advertised as 4yr $39M extension (5yrs $43M total) with $8.25M and $9.25M in the final two years, I wonder if he sees those paydays? Certainly the Packers protected themselves, and can have him for an average of 8.5M/yr for 3 years then cut bait when the base jumps by 3 million.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    As we talk about Cobb's potential contract, what is Nelson's contract, really?

Advertised as 4yr $39M extension (5yrs $43M total) with $8.25M and $9.25M in the final two years, I wonder if he sees those paydays? Certainly the Packers protected themselves, and can have him for an average of 8.5M/yr for 3 years then cut bait when the base jumps by 3 million.
    jordy's contract is insanely team friendly for the first 3 years

he got 14.5 million cash last year

this year he will make less then 2.5 million

in 2016 he'll make 6.5 million

thats insane for a player of his level

what nobody mentions is that jordys contract was an extension, just like the one we talked about with a-rod. it was not a 4 year 39 million dollar contract, it was a 4 year 39 million dollar EXTENTION. meaning it was a 5 year 39 + whatever he was suppose to originally make in 2014 (maybe a 5 year 42.5 million dollar deal, or 8.5 a year). under the 9 being mentioned for cobb

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    The same was said about Finley, and he is gone.
    The same was said about Jennings, and he is gone.
    The same was said about Walker, and he was gone.

Each had been a difference maker for the Packers and all were gone in what should have been the primes of their careers. The Packer offense barely missed a beat. It may have been different without them, but it continued to be effective none the less.

Careful! I said that about Jennings the year before he left, because I saw signs that he wanted to leave. I thought I might be lynched! I was "guaranteed" that GB would never let him get away, he was too important to their offense.

This situation is very different than Jennings. I think Cobb would legitimately like to stay, and GB would like to keep him. But that doesn't mean the business end will work to the satisfaction of both. You are right, he could be somewhere else in a few weeks.

The same was said about Finley, and he is gone.
    The same was said about Jennings, and he is gone.
    The same was said about Walker, and he was gone.

Each had been a difference maker for the Packers and all were gone in what should have been the primes of their careers. The Packer offense barely missed a beat. It may have been different without them, but it continued to be effective none the less.
    exatly my point too, i was trying to agree with you without saying so

what was our offense ranked after losing those guys?

still pretty god damn good

pssssssssst.......

its the QB, not the wr's. and the one we have now is better then the last guy was

if we lose cobb, we will still be one of the top offenses in the NFL, but we could use that 8-9 million to fix the other problems

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    I like Cobb, I want to see him as a Packer. If he's not resigned, I'll survive, but I DO NOT want to see him in a Bears, Lions or Vikings uniform. That, I will not be able to live with.
    The Vikings will have an opening when they release Jennings.

Careful! I said that about Jennings the year before he left, because I saw signs that he wanted to leave. I thought I might be lynched! I was "guaranteed" that GB would never let him get away, he was too important to their offense.

This situation is very different than Jennings. I think Cobb would legitimately like to stay, and GB would like to keep him. But that doesn't mean the business end will work to the satisfaction of both. You are right, he could be somewhere else in a few weeks.
    yup, at the time he was a top 5 WR and still young (29) and TT only lets guys over 30 walk. i remember those discussions

i also remember bringing up 2 years ago the fact that cobb is gonna cost a lot of money when his contract is up, and TT has proven he doesn't like/need to spend a lot of money at that position, and he already spent a good amount on one guy

and, if cobb walks, we probably get a 3rd round comp pick in 2016

Cobb is in a different situation than Jennings/Jones in that its not a slam dunk who will replace his contributions and production.

The last time it looked like this, Jennings was a rookie. Though I think the bench strength (Adams, Abbrederis and Janis) is better now than then.

Replacing receivers has gone smoothly, but it does have effects. See red zone offense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The Vikings will have an opening when they release Jennings.
    I'm not sure that will happen. I think he'd leave them with alot of dead money and the truth is he's still a very good receiver. The fact that Bridgewater played so well I would think they'd want a pro's pro like that in the offense. That said, he does make a ton of coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    I'm not sure that will happen. I think he'd leave them with alot of dead money and the truth is he's still a very good receiver. The fact that Bridgewater played so well I would think they'd want a pro's pro like that in the offense. That said, he does make a ton of coin.
    Sometime, I wonder about Jennings, and if he really does provide what teams want from a "pro's pro." He was not happy in GB sharing the limelight with other receivers, and even seemed to resent the attention being focused on Rodgers. If Charles Johnson becomes the focus, will Jennings start grumbling?