Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

I'm fairly certain Cobb would prefer to stay in Green Bay if the money is comparable...but it is starting to appear that Thompson isn't willing to pay a comparable amount at this point. If Cobb gets to the open market, I don't see much chance of Green Bay retaining him. The money is going to be FLYING this offseason.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

There's no information out there that indicates truly what TT is thinking. We're jumping to a lot of conclusions based on every little tweet (I am too!), but this is all part of the posturing and dance process.
    Sam Shields was signed in the 11th hour and I suspect Cobb will too. Just doesn't make sense to let him go...

What are they comfortable paying him? 7? 8? I don't think you walk over $1m... gotta get it done and I suspect it will.

I don't think so. Just because he hits open free agency, it doesnt mean he's gone. In fact, it's possible Green Bay would need to pay the premium more now than after the start.

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Just doesn't make sense to let him go...
    also doesn't make sense to keep him after we spent 3 draft picks last year on wr's and already have 1 wr making big bucks and a QB who is getting paid huge $$$$ to make everyone around him better

cobb has no reason to post what he did if it wasn't a genuine feeling. there's absolutely no reason not to sign him.

$9M is a fair deal for Cobb if you consider him to be the best slot WR in the NFL currently...which I think is reasonable to assume. The cap is set to move from $130M to $160M by as soon as next year. That is a 23% increase. If you say that Victor Cruz's deal (counting the cheaper extended year) was worth around $7.5M per year as an elite slot receiver in the league a few years back, then Cobb asking for $9.25M per year is a reasonable request given the 23% increase in the salary cap.

If Thompson believed that, the deal would be done by now. The fact that Cobb has OPENLY STATED he is agreeable to a fair contract value, and yet is not signed, should be concerning to you if you believe Cobb should be resigned. Cobb isn't asking for the moon...so it stands to reason that Thompson is being stingy or just doesn't really want to put more money into the receiver position.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I know everybody references $9M as a reasonable payment. Howe do we know that is the real number? What if Cobb is asking for $11 or $12M?

I think we are jumping to conclusions on where the negotiations really are right now. Cobb has no incentive to sign anything until free agency begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I know everybody references $9M as a reasonable payment. Howe do we know that is the real number? What if Cobb is asking for $11 or $12M?

I think we are jumping to conclusions on where the negotiations really are right now. Cobb has no incentive to sign anything until free agency begins.
    $9 mil per might not be reasonable if you consider him a slot guy only. That would be above market. Even above what many in this thread agitated for Ted to sign him for initially.

However, $9 mil per might be his asking price. That has been reported, though of course we don't know how close to accurate that is.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    $9M is a fair deal for Cobb if you consider him to be the best slot WR in the NFL currently...which I think is reasonable to assume. The cap is set to move from $130M to $160M by as soon as next year. That is a 23% increase. If you say that Victor Cruz's deal (counting the cheaper extended year) was worth around $7.5M per year as an elite slot receiver in the league a few years back, then Cobb asking for $9.25M per year is a reasonable request given the 23% increase in the salary cap.

If Thompson believed that, the deal would be done by now. The fact that Cobb has OPENLY STATED he is agreeable to a fair contract value, and yet is not signed, should be concerning to you if you believe Cobb should be resigned. Cobb isn't asking for the moon...so it stands to reason that Thompson is being stingy or just doesn't really want to put more money into the receiver position.
    With all due respect, what Cobb has said is just as meaningless as all the tweets, rumors and reports. Do you really expect him to say; "At this point, I am demanding a totally outrageous contract, because I think there might be a fool or two out there who will pay it."

What player doesn't think he is asking for a reasonable amount, regardless of what it is? Just because Cobb thinks he is being reasonable doesn't mean he really is being reasonable.

Remember salary context is waaaaaaaaaaaaay different now. 9m is 7m two years ago. We're still viewing contracts through those glasses.

What's the point of draft and develop with no FA involvement if you're not going to keep your stars? What is this, the Bucks? Brewers? Come on. I don't care about 3 other WR draft picks... let's go 5 wide and open it up if they're good enough for that, but nothing indicates that except maybe Adams.

Remember salary context is waaaaaaaaaaaaay different now. 9m is 7m two years ago. We're still viewing contracts through those glasses.

What's the point of draft and develop with no FA involvement if you're not going to keep your stars? What is this, the Bucks? Brewers? Come on. I don't care about 3 other WR draft picks... let's go 5 wide and open it up if they're good enough for that, but nothing indicates that except maybe Adams.
    Fair point. Cap will have gone up $20+ mil in two years from just over $120 mil. That's a 17% jump. Would make a $7 mil per year deal then worth $8.2 mil now.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I really doubt the disconnect is over the totals and averages. It's about the guaranteed money and the structuring.

There's no information out there that indicates truly what TT is thinking. We're jumping to a lot of conclusions based on every little tweet (I am too!), but this is all part of the posturing and dance process.
    Sam Shields was signed in the 11th hour and I suspect Cobb will too. Just doesn't make sense to let him go...

What are they comfortable paying him? 7? 8? I don't think you walk over $1m... gotta get it done and I suspect it will.
    I don't want TT to piss around...simply sign him yesterday.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I don't want TT to piss around...simply sign him yesterday.
    It's Cobb who has to sign. TT can't force him to do anything. There's speculation as to how much Cobb is asking for, but we don't really know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's Cobb who has to sign. TT can't force him to do anything. There's speculation as to how much Cobb is asking for, but we don't really know anything.
    I know TT's style...let him get out and seek his best value on the market.

So much for draft and develop.

TT has to get more pro active and not allow a prized talent like Cobb get away Joe.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

What does proactive mean? Give Cobb whatever he wants? If Cobb wants to test the free agent market, he has that right. There isn't a thing TT can do about it.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    What does proactive mean? Give Cobb whatever he wants? If Cobb wants to test the free agent market, he has that right. There isn't a thing TT can do about it.
    But if you don't like TT, it doesn't matter what happens it is always TT's fault for not getting it done.

We could tag Cobb in a worst case scenario.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post

The longer the negotiations take the more the rumors fly. I'm not going to worry about something we have no control over. I suspect they are still talking as we type.

TT has to get more pro active and not allow a prized talent like Cobb get away Joe.
    http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/...9531&is_corp=1

Starting with this, let's reconstruct Packers signing of their own pending free agents.

Signed after FA starts:
    1. James Jones
    2. Chad Clifton

Signed before FA starts:
    1. Rodgers
    2. Nelson
    3. Shields
    4. Hawk
    5. Jones

Tagged:
    1. Corey Williams (traded)
    2. Pickett (resigned to new deal)

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Is your only definition of pro active that TT signs who you think he should sign?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck