Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What will Ted Thompson do about the ILB position in the Off Season?

What will Ted Thompson do about the ILB position in the Off Season?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...290854131.html

Article:

Positional overview: Linebackers

Inside will likely get different look for Packers

Comment woodbuck27:

Most here at Packerrats would agree that Ted Thompson has to say good bye to AJ Hawk and Brad Jones.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Distribution of spending CAP money by position:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay...rs/positional/

After that he has to look at Free Agency and the Draft to upgrade the team at the linebacker position and return Clay Matthews to the outside where he belongs.

Also at linebacker. What will Ted Thompson do with the valuable addition to the Packer defense last off season, Julius Peppers?
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-08-2015 at 05:58 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

TT will release Jones and Hawk, saving 7 million. Although I don't expect TT to be very active this year in FA other than signing his own guys, ILB is one position where he might try to make a deal. If he releases Hawk and Jones, Barrington is the only experienced guy he really has. Carl Bradford and Nate Palmer will get a look, but they haven't played the position in a regular season game. As for the draft, Eric Kendricks is likely the only ILB that TT would consider on the 1st round. Perryman and McKinney don't have the coverage skills to go that early.

As for Peppers, I see TT working on a new contract to lower the cap hit from 12 million to 7-8 million. That, along with the release of Jones and Hawk would give TT about 34 million of cap space to work with.

why would TT or peppers redo his contract after just the first year of a 3 year deal?

peppers signed the deal with a very cap friendly first year, and took a big paycut to do it, knowing if he played well, he would make his normal wages in 2015 and 2016

he pocketed 8.5 million for last season, he can make 9.5 million next season, and 8 million in 2016

looks to me like a deal set up to play out until he runs out of gas and we cut him

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    why would TT or peppers redo his contract after just the first year of a 3 year deal?

peppers signed the deal with a very cap friendly first year, and took a big paycut to do it, knowing if he played well, he would make his normal wages in 2015 and 2016

he pocketed 8.5 million for last season, he can make 9.5 million next season, and 8 million in 2016

looks to me like a deal set up to play out until he runs out of gas and we cut him
    There was talk from the time he signed that contract that it would have to be re-negotiated if the packers kept him past 2014. McGinn had this to say recently about Peppers:

The assumption is that the two sides will restructure the final two years of his contract and he'll return in 2015.
    I think the Packers would like to lower his cap number in 2015 because of the big name FA's they need to sign (Cobb/Bulaga/Williams). The guys they will need to sign in 2016 don't carry as high a price tag.

I agree. I've never quite understood those who insist Peppers won't be back this year under the existing terms. He probably played better than the Packers expected. He got $8.5M cash last year in salary and signing bonus. This year he gets $9.5 M in new cash. He's playing for the cash he gets. The cap hits are simply accounting gyrations.

Why would he play for significantly less new money this year than he got last year? Why would the Packers expect him to? He filled a missing component for them on defense.

About the only way I could see them doing anything to gain significant cap space is to add phantom years to the end of the contract. In effect, push cap dollars to a year they know he will be retired, or gone. That's really not the Packers' way of doing things.

The cap impact is not a primary concern for the players. Peppers received $8.5 M to play last year. Does McGinn think he will or should play for significantly less than that this year? The Packers could have structured his relatively short contract with little bonus and substantially equal salaries each year. From Peppers perspective, that is what it is. His incomes for the three years are $8.5M, $9.5M and $8.M. Apparently the Packers wanted some cap relief in 2014, so a big part of his income last year was in the form of a signing bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    TT will release Jones and Hawk, saving 7 million. Although I don't expect TT to be very active this year in FA other than signing his own guys, ILB is one position where he might try to make a deal. If he releases Hawk and Jones, Barrington is the only experienced guy he really has. Carl Bradford and Nate Palmer will get a look, but they haven't played the position in a regular season game. As for the draft, Eric Kendricks is likely the only ILB that TT would consider on the 1st round. Perryman and McKinney don't have the coverage skills to go that early.

As for Peppers, I see TT working on a new contract to lower the cap hit from 12 million to 7-8 million. That, along with the release of Jones and Hawk would give TT about 34 million of cap space to work with.
    " I don't expect TT to be very active this year in FA other than signing his own guys..." Joemailman

That's likely true.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

i wouldn't mind a high draft pick spent on a guy, AND he big name free agent signing

unfortunately, there doesn't look like either is an option

maybe a trade? why not send our first for a stud , pro bowl ILB?

hey pb, and chance you could copy and paste the PFF rankings for 3-4 ILBs in the GC so we can look at the guys who might be out there?

This might be the year to trade up in the first or trade up in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    This might be the year to trade up in the first or trade up in the 2nd.
    Or trade out of the 1st into the early 2nd and pick up an extra later pick. TT did that in 2008 to take Jordy Nelson.

hey pb, and chance you could copy and paste the PFF rankings for 3-4 ILBs in the GC so we can look at the guys who might be out there?
    Don't have PFF, that might be Bretsky or Yoop. I can look at Packer Report and see if Scout.com does it.

We talking draft or FA?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Don't have PFF, that might be Bretsky or Yoop. I can look at Packer Report and see if Scout.com does it.

We talking draft or FA?
    FA, or all ILBs in the nfl, so we can see where the free agents rank

i thought you had PFF

The way it looks to me is trade out of 1st. No real TT like fa out there (read under valued) I am concerned about TT ilb draft history.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    The way it looks to me is trade out of 1st. No real TT like fa out there (read under valued) I am concerned about TT ilb draft history.
    I'm starting to look at that possible move by TT too.

Some mocks have us going at #30 with DT Malcolm Brown .... Jr Fr. TEXAS.. . . . 6' - 4 " and 320 lbs

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I think its a mistake to count Barrington as a starter next year. We need a pair of guys and they should definitely come from the draft. MLB is a relatively low learning curve or just translates well from the college game. Rookies at MLB and at RB tend to be almost as good as they're going to get right off the bat. With all the uncertainty at the position it might be worth hanging on to Hawk a bit longer. As shitty as he is his availability has been the best on the team.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think its a mistake to count Barrington as a starter next year. We need a pair of guys and they should definitely come from the draft. MLB is a relatively low learning curve or just translates well from the college game. Rookies at MLB and at RB tend to be almost as good as they're going to get right off the bat. With all the uncertainty at the position it might be worth hanging on to Hawk a bit longer. As shitty as he is his availability has been the best on the team.
    Ted Thompson without change for 2015 will spend:

Approx. $10.45 M$ for 3 ILB's or 6.57% of the CAP.

The cost for 5 CB's = $ 10.71 M$ or 7.15 % of CAP.

The cost for 3 Safetys = $7.67 M$ or 5.12 % of CAP.

AJ Hawk's CAP hit for 2015 = $5.1M$ and Dead Money @ $1.6M$. Potential saving if cut = $3.5 M$

AJ Hawk wasn't unproductive as Brad Jones was last season and had a total of 94 tackles and .5 SACK and 2PD and 1 STF.

Specifically on Brad Jones:

Brad Jones Cap hit is $4.75 M$ and Dead Money @ $1.0 M$. Potential saving if cut = $3.75M$

His production in 2014 was < half of Sam Barrington's and to cut him should be an easy decision.

TT may have to simply move on from both AJ Hawk and Brad Jones. Use the savings to hang onto Randall Cobb, Bryan Bulaga and Tramon Williams. TT's hand may be forced here.

ie ...Cut both Hawk and Brad Jones and save $7.25 M$ = the possible restructured cost for CB Tramon Williams.

Code:
    Pos	PRank	Rating	Name		Type	Yr	Ht/Wt		College		2013 Team	Signed Team
    MLB	1		Karlos Dansby	UFA	10	-/-		Auburn		Arizona		Cleveland
    MLB	2		Brandon Spikes	UFA	4	6-5/250		Florida		New England	Buffalo
    MLB	3		Donald Butler	UFA	4	6-1/235		Wash		San Diego	San Diego
    MLB	4		Vincent Rey	RFA	3	-/-		Duke		Cincinnati	Cincinnati
    MLB	5		Daryl Smith	UFA	10	-/-		GaTech		Baltimore	Baltimore
    MLB	6		D'Qwell Jackson	UFA	8	6-0/240		Maryland	Cleveland	Indianapolis
    MLB	7		Akeem Jordan	UFA	7	-/-		James Madison	Kansas City	
    MLB	8		Jameel McClain	UFA	6	6-1/250		Syracuse	Baltimore	NY Giants
    MLB	9		Perry Riley	UFA	3	-/-		LSU		Washington	Washington
    MLB	10		Joe Mays	UFA	6	-/-		North Dakota St	Denver		Kansas City
    MLB	11		Arthur Moats	UFA	4	-/-		James Madison	Buffalo		Pittsburgh
    MLB	12		Joe Mays	UFA	6	-/-		North Dakota St	Denver	
    MLB	13		Kavell Conner	UFA	4	-/-		Clemson		Indianapolis	San Diego
    MLB	14		Wesley Woodyard	UFA	6	6-1/230		Kentucky	Denver		Tennessee
    MLB	15		Jon Beason	UFA	7	-/-		Miami (FL)	NY Giants	NY Giants
    MLB	16		Darryl Sharpton	UFA	4	-/-		Miami (FL)	Houston		Washington
    MLB	17		Pat Angerer	UFA	4	-/-		Iowa		Indianapolis	
    MLB	18		Dane Fletcher	UFA	4	6-2/244		Montana State	New England	Tampa Bay
    MLB	19		D.J. Williams	UFA	10	6-1/242		Miami (FL)	Chicago		Chicago
    MLB	20		Jasper Brinkley	UFA	5	-/-		South Carolina	Arizona		Minnesota
    MLB	NR	NR	Nick Barnett	UFA	11	-/-		Oregon State	Washington	
    MLB	NR	NR	Nick Bellore	RFA	3	6-1/250		Cent Michigan	NY Jets	
    MLB	NR	NR	Bront Bird	RFA	3	6-4/250		Texas Tech	San Diego	
    MLB	NR	NR	Desmond Bishop	UFA	7	6-2/238		California	Minnesota	
    MLB	NR	NR	Stewart Bradley	UFA	7	-/-		Nebraska	Denver	
    MLB	NR	NR	Dan Connor	UFA	6	-/-		Penn State	Carolina	
    MLB	NR	NR	Blake Costanzo	UFA	6	6-1/235		Lafayette	Chicago	
    MLB	NR	NR	Jacob Cutrera	UFA	4	-/-		LSU		Tampa Bay	
    MLB	NR	NR	Zac Diles	UFA	7	-/-		Kansas State	Tennessee	
    MLB	NR	NR	London Fletcher	UFA	16	5-10/258	John Carroll	Washington	
    MLB	NR	NR	Larry Foote	UFA	12	6-1/239		Michigan	Pittsburgh	
    MLB	NR	NR	Rob Francois	UFA	4	6-2/255		Boston College	Green Bay	
    MLB	NR	NR	Mark Herzlich	RFA	3	-/-		Boston College	NY Giants	
    MLB	NR	NR	Justin Hickman	RFA	3	6-2/258		UCLA		Indianapolis	Indianapolis
    MLB	NR	NR	Ramon Humber	UFA	5	5-11/232	North Dakota St	New Orleans	New Orleans
    MLB	NR	NR	Bryan Kehl	UFA	6	6-2/244		BYU		Washington
    MLB	NR	NR	J Lattimore	RFA	3	6-2/230		Mid Tenn State	Green Bay	Green Bay
    MLB	NR	NR	Paris Lenon	UFA	12	-/-		Richmond	Denver	
    MLB	NR	NR	Scott Lutrus	RFA	3	6-2/241		Connecticut	Indianapolis	
    MLB	NR	NR	A McClellan	RFA	4	6-2/255		Marshall	Baltimore	Baltimore
    MLB	NR	NR	Austin Spitler	UFA	4	6-2/250		Ohio State	Miami	
    MLB	NR	NR	S Sylvester	UFA	4	6-2/231		Utah		Pittsburgh	
    MLB	NR	NR	Jonathan Vilma	UFA	10	6-1/230		Miami (FL)	New Orleans	
    MLB	NR	NR	Reggie Walker	UFA	5	6-0/244		Kansas State	San Diego	San Diego
    MLB	NR	NR	W Witherspoon	UFA	12	-/-		Georgia		St. Louis
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

On WSSP, they said that in an interview Peppers acknowledged that he'd have to redo his contract and that he'd be back this year.

That would be awesome, ish!!