Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What will Ted Thompson do about the ILB position in the Off Season?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    That's not a surprise.

I think Hawk stays, at least until camp.
    Yes, they may want to wait and see if Carl Bradford and Nate Palmer look in the OTA's and minicamp like they have the instincts to play inside. Palmer is almost completely off the radar, but there were some good reports about him at ILB in camp before he hurt his knee. At 6-2, 248 he has prototypical size. He was not invited to the Combine in 2013, but the 40 and 3 cone times he put up at his Pro Day (4.7/6.98) would have been 5th and 1st among ILB's at the Combine.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 02-20-2015 at 06:42 PM.

If they stay true to form, they won't draft either of these guys:

Meet the linebackers: A day after coach Mike McCarthy more or less said inside linebacker is the Packers' greatest need this offseason, two of the top inside linebackers in the draft -- Missississppi State's Benardrick McKinney and Miami's Denzel Perryman -- both confirmed they have formal interviews scheduled with the Packers during the combine. The Packers began their overhaul at the position by releasing veteran Brad Jones on Friday.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...ombine-packers

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i was thinking about hawk the other day, didn't he lose a bunch of weight before this year or last year, so he could be quicker?

to see him moving so slowly this year, something had to be wrong, he's not old enough to be looking like ray nitschke hobbling down the field returning an int with two bad legs
    Yeah, one of the articles mentions specifically he lost weight to take pressure of his leg.

And I always find this kind of decision curious. He clearly wasn't among the 53 best this year. Why didn't they sit his butt down on IR-DTR and have the surgery?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yeah, one of the articles mentions specifically he lost weight to take pressure of his leg.

And I always find this kind of decision curious. He clearly wasn't among the 53 best this year. Why didn't they sit his butt down on IR-DTR and have the surgery?

IR-DTR wasn't really an option after Tretter got hurt. They needed to use that for him, since they had no idea how Linsley would handle it at center. If there was a chance that Hawk could play through it, he needed to try at that point.

But, ....Why didn't he get it fixed last off season, instead of choosing to just lose weight? One article indicated he has been dealing with this a couple years, but it has been getting worse. Are there risks to the surgery that we are unaware of?

IR-DTR wasn't really an option after Tretter got hurt. They needed to use that for him, since they had no idea how Linsley would handle it at center. If there was a chance that Hawk could play through it, he needed to try at that point.

But, ....Why didn't he get it fixed last off season, instead of choosing to just lose weight? One article indicated he has been dealing with this a couple years, but it has been getting worse. Are there risks to the surgery that we are unaware of?
    Assuming he lost the weight in the offseason, he had to know before camp there was a problem. He could have chosen surgery at almost any time, including before Tretter's injury. After that it wasn't an option, but he has a lot of time and choices before that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Assuming he lost the weight in the offseason, he had to know before camp there was a problem. He could have chosen surgery at almost any time, including before Tretter's injury. After that it wasn't an option, but he has a lot of time and choices before that.
    That was my point; why didn't he fix it last off season? It seems he knew about it. Had he chosen surgery at any point before Tretter's injury, and Hawks prognosis was really 6 weeks as they are saying now, my guess is that Tretter would still have gotten the IR-DTR when the season started, and they would have carried Hawk on the 53 for the month to six weeks he would have needed.

Blog Entries
    Surgery or no surgery, Hawk is too slow and unimpactful to pay what he's making. He's been rode hard for a long time. Time to put him to pasture and bring in a couple badasses who can play. If it has to be a couple rookies that'd work too. Not ideal but the only risk I see in hanging onto Hawk is him being on the field again next year. No risk in bringing him into camp I guess but he can't keep you from signing Cobb or Bulaga.

I could see Hawk getting cut or renegotiating before camp. I wouldn't complain a bit if it was because Ted needs the money to sign his replacement.
    Last edited by vince; 02-21-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    My fantasy scenario would be signing Rolando McClain and drafting Denzel Perryman. This dude knows how to tackle. I think he's quicker and more instinctive than some scouts will give him credit for.

Badass

Scouting Report from Walter Football

Strengths:
    Instinctive
    Extremely physical
    Fabulous run-defender
    Takes on blocks extremely well
    Adept at shedding blocks
    Excellent tackler
    Quick, covers a lot of ground
    Enough quickness to defend perimeter runs
    Play recognition
    Intelligence
    Hard hitter
    Takes on blocks
    Can shed blocks
    Gets depth in his pass drops
    Aggressive attitude
    Blitzing ability
    Explosive
    Good open-field tackling
    Made some plays in pass coverage
    Scheme versatility

Weaknesses:
    Lacks elite speed
    Lacks length
    Short
    Could be limited in pass coverage

Summary: Before the NFL became a league that was passing based, middle linebackers like Perryman were a prime commodity to build a defense around. With the league trending toward the aerial offense, middle linebackers have been downgraded in their emphasis in the NFL draft. Still, quality middle linebackers are a critical ingredient to any good defense and there are plenty of teams interested in drafting Perryman early in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Perryman steadily improved over the past three season as a tough defender for the Hurricanes. He notched 64 tackles with six tackles for a loss, two passes broken up, one forced fumble and an interception returned 41 yards for a touchdown in 2012. Perryman took his game to another level as a junior with 108 tackles with five tackles for a loss, one sack and three passes broken up in 2013. He considered entering the 2014 NFL Draft, but decided to return to school.

2014 was Perryman's best season with 110 tackles with 9.5 for a loss, three forced fumbles, two sacks, five passes broken up and one interception. He had a big impact in a number of games and showed an improved ability to play the pass.

For the NFL, Perryman looks like a three-down starting middle linebacker. He is a tough run-defender who is a force in the tackle box. Perryman takes on blocks well and is quick to read his keys. He has good instincts and uses them to limit runs. Perry is also a good tackler and a very physical defender. He will tackle backs with violence and plays with a mean streak. While Perryman doesn't have elite speed, he is quick enough to get to runs on the perimeter.

Perryman might not have the skill set to be a pass-defender who can cover in man like some elite middle linebackers in the NFL, Luke Kuechly for example. Still, Perryman does well to read the eyes of quarterbacks and disrupt passing lanes. He moves well in zone and picks up targets in his area. Perryman doesn't have great length, fluidity or is extreme speed. Thus, he is somewhat limited in pass coverage. However, Perryman could improve with NFL coaching.

Perryman also is a leader. He commands the defense and provides a real presence with his physicality. Sources say that Perryman could go late in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft and shouldn't get out of the second round.

Perryman is a leader. I like him. Not sure if he's one of the 30 best players in the draft, though...

the big problem with perryman is that he is not 6'1 like the video says, he's 5'11

is that tall enough?

we had that high motor short ILB a couple years ago that we let walk even though some of us wanted him to get a real shot. he was too short, at about the same height as perryman

Blog Entries
    the big problem with perryman is that he is not 6'1 like the video says, he's 5'11

is that tall enough?

we had that high motor short ILB a couple years ago that we let walk even though some of us wanted him to get a real shot. he was too short, at about the same height as perryman
    What the hell was that guy's name? He was closer to 5'9 than 5'11" I'd say. I remember him from watching training camps up close and in person. Ol' whatshisname was clearly the shortest guy on the team back then. He almost looked like a midget out there.

Plus, the short 6th round pick who moved around the league trying to stay on a roster didn't play like Denzel Perryman. If he can tackle Marshawn Lynch like he does in his highlight reel then I think 5'11" is tall enough.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...011&genpos=olb

5'10" 5/8

He was limited athletically, and then suffered a nasty knee injury on a dirty block. The dumb thing was that the Texans had Cushing knocked out for the season the week before and bitched something fierce about how the crackback blocks were dirty. Then the very next week, Duane Brown fucked up DJ's knee in the exact same fashion.

In a little more than 5 games in 2012, DJ Smith had two sacks, three stuffs, four passes defensed. He was very productive. He just couldn't pass his physical with us after the knee injury.

i missed almost all of the LBer workouts today, but i cringed when mayock closed out the group by saying he was really disappointed by the lack of athleticism by the group

the group that had all the guys we're looking at for the middle of our defense

not good

btw, perryman looked short, fat and slow

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I enjoy reading the lists of sleeper picks: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...sition/page/12 Check out the write up on Zach Vigil and look up some Youtube on this kid. Seems very instinctive, and will likely be overlooked. If you could get him late or undrafted, I think that would be a nice pickup.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

i missed almost all of the LBer workouts today, but i cringed when mayock closed out the group by saying he was really disappointed by the lack of athleticism by the group

the group that had all the guys we're looking at for the middle of our defense

not good

btw, perryman looked short, fat and slow
    I doubt that TT has a 1st round grade on any ILB. That's okay though. You can get good ILB's later. Desmond Bishop was a 6th round pick. Sam Barrington was a 7th round pick.

Blog Entries
    Somewhere, somehow, Ted needs someone to plug into the starting lineup day 1. It's probably too much to expect two new guys right away but they could use that too IMO.

Choosing two among Barrington, Lattimore, Hawk, another low-round draft pick, Palmer and Bradford isn't exactly an embarrassment of riches there.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Somewhere, somehow, Ted needs someone to plug into the starting lineup day 1. It's probably too much to expect two new guys right away but they could use that too IMO.

Choosing two among Barrington, Lattimore, Hawk, another low-round draft pick, Palmer and Bradford isn't exactly an embarrassment of riches there.
    i agree, we need to find someone new to start day 1, and i don't know if that guys in the draft, and i don't know if he's a free agent right now

right now our starters for next year are barrington and hawk

yuck

i say trade the first round pick for a decent starter ILB, if there is one (i have no clue who that player is, but we need him bad)

As long as rook is ready by playoff time.

That was my point; why didn't he fix it last off season? It seems he knew about it. Had he chosen surgery at any point before Tretter's injury, and Hawks prognosis was really 6 weeks as they are saying now, my guess is that Tretter would still have gotten the IR-DTR when the season started, and they would have carried Hawk on the 53 for the month to six weeks he would have needed.
    is hawk one of those "natural healers"? we know he use to sleep in the hyperbolic chamber, he always struck me as a "holistic healer" type of guy

do we know of any previous surgeries he's ever had?

i can tell you first hand, ankle injuries can slow you waaaaaay down

He's never had a surgery to my knowledge. At one point early in his career it was mentioned that he had never dealt with injuries in his playing history and that was his biggest challenge in transferring to the pro game.