Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2015 Free Agency/Contract Extension Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    This is when a wheeler-dealer like Schneider can get himself into trouble, at times. Those types of GMs can be very good at resurrecting a beaten down franchise, which Schneider very clearly and unequivocally did. Can't argue with successive Super Bowl appearances and one win. But, staying on top sometimes requires a little more restraint. If you are always looking for the next big deal to push you over the top, it can ruin the locker room and team chemistry, let alone change your roster more significantly and in ways you didn't expect.

Obviously, the Harvin deal didn't work as he hoped. I'm not sure about investing a starting center and a first round draft pick in a TE, no matter how good he is. Although, they do need pass catchers. A bit puzzling.
    Weren't you one of the many that has said centers are easy to replace?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    First Jimmy Graham, now Drew Brees? Holy house cleaning Batman!

http://neworleans.suntimes.com/new-o...e-brees-jameis

That's one way to rebuild I guess.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Weren't you one of the many that has said centers are easy to replace?
    Nope. I was the one who argued they should opt to keep Wells instead of Finley because they had no suitable replacement for Wells and they had gotten by using Q when Finley was out in 2010. However, after losing Wells, I thought Saturday would be a reasonable replacement because I thought he still had a season or two left in him. He didn't.

For some reason, every chance you get you accuse me of this. Then, I remind you of my Wells/Finley position and you "remember".

If you are maybe, this time, referring to EDS last off season, I didn't mind losing him one bit, because I thought he was quite inadequate. Year end stats indicated he was the weak link in the run game, and the worst center the Packers had in pass protection since before Flanagan. EDS, I thought was easily replaced, not because he was a center, but because he really was not very good. I had hopes for Tretter, and liked the pick of Linsley in case Tretter didn't work out (which, he didn't).

Blog Entries
    Nope. I was the one who argued they should opt to keep Wells instead of Finley because they had no suitable replacement for Wells and they had gotten by using Q when Finley was out in 2010. However, after losing Wells, I thought Saturday would be a reasonable replacement because I thought he still had a season or two left in him. He didn't.

For some reason, every chance you get you accuse me of this. Then, I remind you of my Wells/Finley position and you "remember".

If you are maybe, this time, referring to EDS last off season, I didn't mind losing him one bit, because I thought he was quite inadequate. Year end stats indicated he was the weak link in the run game, and the worst center the Packers had in pass protection since before Flanagan. EDS, I thought was easily replaced, not because he was a center, but because he really was not very good. I had hopes for Tretter, and liked the pick of Linsley in case Tretter didn't work out (which, he didn't).

I'm thinking you are developing an Odell Thurman like history with your offensive line calls...lol....Wells.......didn't you call a few future bring spots and essentially ended their careers.......who were they....Atlas Herrion ? Was there a Dwyer ? Adrian Klemm... .....did you like Orange Juice Coston ? And I think you might have made the stretch of comparing Bulaga to that pile of crap Ted Drafted......gosh I've blacked out and can't even remember Sherry Juice's name anymore....lol.......of course I know you were comparing their injury history only....but you really should have not used them in the same sentence......... I've always though Bulaga was our 2nd best OL

It's time for you to make a 100% turnaround Patler.

Join me in the Campen for OL coach of the Year Train !!!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    History shows that Ted made the right decision with Wells. They struggled with a couple injuries for a couple years with injuries to Jason Spitz and Saturday was a total bust but EDS held his own and now they're as well situated at Center as any team in the league - a cheap, young bad-ass who'll knock you down and a starting caliber back-up who was ready to start before getting hurt. Tretter was doing a great job at Center prior to getting hurt last year. And Linsley comes out of nowhere to almost instantly become one of the league's leading Centers. Center's covered and - minus Saturday - it has pretty much been handled for years without paying Wells big money to sit on the sidelines injured for the majority of his time since cashing in. He had some injuries in Green Bay that showed some flags as well. Bad back for an undersized interior lineman pushing 30 is a big reason not to pay Wells big money. That was the right call I'd say.

You can make an argument that Finley's been a bigger waste of money. That's been true I guess. There've not been too many bigger teases and wastes of money than Finley's been. When he was good - all to rare - he made the offense look unstoppable at times. Finley underperformed his money for sure but Wells is right up there in terms of wasted dollars spent on players.

In before the Bears trade for Brees...

Wells also wasn't the best lineman on the team. When Unger went out this year, the Seahawks couldn't function on offense.

I presume they think they have that fixed, over will get it fixed.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'm thinking you are developing an Odell Thurman like history with your offensive line calls...lol....Wells.......didn't you call a few future bring spots and essentially ended their careers.......who were they....Atlas Herrion ? Was there a Dwyer ? Adrian Klemm... .....did you like Orange Juice Coston ? And I think you might have made the stretch of comparing Bulaga to that pile of crap Ted Drafted......gosh I've blacked out and can't even remember Sherry Juice's name anymore....lol.......of course I know you were comparing their injury history only....but you really should have not used them in the same sentence......... I've always though Bulaga was our 2nd best OL

Either I'm confused, or you are. Maybe we both are!

I've always really liked Bulaga.....when he is on the field. I have, however, pointed out that you need a good backup for him, because I believe he has missed at least one start, and usually more every season so far. Somewhere in the last few pages you can find that I listed Bulaga as my #1 priority to re-sign, ahead of Cobb, because TT seems to be able to find WRs much more easily than OL. I had the same concerns about Wells, because he was always dinged up even when he was playing. Even so, he was a high priority for me because they had nothing behind him.

Atlas Herron - I was trying to read the tea leaves when they opted to keep him in GB for off season work rather than send him to NFL-E.

Sherry, as you call him (God help me, I can't remember his name either!) I disliked from the get-go. I thought he was just as awful when he broke his leg as he was in preseason. I have always contrasted Bulaga and him. Both were tried first at guard. Bulaga did well with it, Sherry was awful. Both went to RT with little or no prep. Bulaga ran with it; Sherry was awful.

The rest I think I ran hot and cold with, just as their careers ascended and declined.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

Wow there's some names there. There've been a ton of lineman who've run the gammut. A lot of guys who didn't make it. I remember being high on Allen Barbre, who was an unmitigated disaster for about two games where he single-handedly got the QB destroyed. Great combine though. Now five years later he's serviceable in Philly. Some guys were just too big of projects. Giacomini. He's starting somewhere I'd say. That's about it. Newhouse got signed by the Giants. Poor bastards.

Sherry's gonna pop up somewhere before it's all said and done. Kansas City maybe.

Atlas Herrion had no stats whatsoever in the NFL. I'd take him over Babre. It took awhile but they got it figured out now I'd say. If Barclay and Tretter stay healthy for a change along with the starters they're talented and deep. Long live Campen.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    History shows that Ted made the right decision with Wells. They struggled with a couple injuries for a couple years with injuries to Jason Spitz and Saturday was a total bust but EDS held his own and now they're as well situated at Center as any team in the league - a cheap, young bad-ass who'll knock you down and a starting caliber back-up who was ready to start before getting hurt. Tretter was doing a great job at Center prior to getting hurt last year. And Linsley comes out of nowhere to almost instantly become one of the league's leading Centers. Center's covered and - minus Saturday - it has pretty much been handled for years without paying Wells big money to sit on the sidelines injured for the majority of his time since cashing in. He had some injuries in Green Bay that showed some flags as well. Bad back for an undersized interior lineman pushing 30 is a big reason not to pay Wells big money. That was the right call I'd say.

You can make an argument that Finley's been a bigger waste of money. That's been true I guess. There've not been too many bigger teases and wastes of money than Finley's been. When he was good - all to rare - he made the offense look unstoppable at times. Finley underperformed his money for sure but Wells is right up there in terms of wasted dollars spent on players.
    Spitz was gone the year before Wells, I think. When they lost Wells, they had no one and had to scramble and sign Saturday. As I recall, TT tried to get a couple others, who signed elsewhere. Saturday was about all that was left when he signed. EDS wasn't really in the picture until late that season, after he had proven himself and his commitment to his profession. Somewhat of a checkered history before that.

I sure do like where they are with centers now, but it wasn't pretty between Wells and Linsley. Saturday was awful. EDS was functional, but not really very effective.

At least Wells wasn't a tease. When he played he was pretty good. Finley wasn't reliable even when he was healthy. Never knew for sure what you would get from Finley on a given day.

Thought this was interesting:

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    FUUUUCK

saints just traded him to the seahawks.

no joke

per nfl network
    Seattle is 'going all in' in 2015.

Maybe the ticket for 1-2 seasons but suddenly the Packers should catch up ((Salary CAP issues in Seattle) if the DRAFT is handled very well by TT.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/1...er-2015-rumors

Every NFL free agent signing this offseason

By: SB Nation NFL News on Mar 11, 2015, 7:33 AM

This is the latest on the Free Agency signings so far. I hope it's pretty much up to date.

GO PACK GO !

The teams that the Packers will watch...Seattle...and in the AFC......'oc course New England and the team making bigger moves for the short term focus..Indy. If they get Andre Johnson they should make another step after signing Gore and Colin Cole.

NO seems to be tanking. Philly has gone Weird City...if it wasn't already that.

Denver has declined losing a solid TE...or wait..did they?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Thought this was interesting:

But state taxes are deductible on your federal return so reduce those actual rates by 33-40% to find the real income tax affect.

But you also need to add in sales taxes and other local taxes. FL has a high sales tax rates at around 6.6%.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Either I'm confused, or you are. Maybe we both are!

I've always really liked Bulaga.....when he is on the field. I have, however, pointed out that you need a good backup for him, because I believe he has missed at least one start, and usually more every season so far. Somewhere in the last few pages you can find that I listed Bulaga as my #1 priority to re-sign, ahead of Cobb, because TT seems to be able to find WRs much more easily than OL. I had the same concerns about Wells, because he was always dinged up even when he was playing. Even so, he was a high priority for me because they had nothing behind him.

Atlas Herron - I was trying to read the tea leaves when they opted to keep him in GB for off season work rather than send him to NFL-E.

Sherry, as you call him (God help me, I can't remember his name either!) I disliked from the get-go. I thought he was just as awful when he broke his leg as he was in preseason. I have always contrasted Bulaga and him. Both were tried first at guard. Bulaga did well with it, Sherry was awful. Both went to RT with little or no prep. Bulaga ran with it; Sherry was awful.

The rest I think I ran hot and cold with, just as their careers ascended and declined.
    Sherrod?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    But state taxes are deductible on your federal return so reduce those actual rates by 33-40% to find the real income tax affect.

But you also need to add in sales taxes and other local taxes. FL has a high sales tax rates at around 6.6%.
    Good points TD.

Randy Starks was cut by the Dolphins. Sounds like he's got a lot left in the tank, they just replaced him with Suh.

Bobble really wanted the Pack to bring him in a year or 2 ago.

Knew a guy who lived in SC a long time ago. When he bought a car, he couldn't just pay the taxes on the sales amount plus $40 (WI charge at the time) to register it. It was sales tax plus $800 dollars to register it for a new car. No idea how it worked or used cars.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The other thing is that many states have gone to taxing visiting players, so the difference in tax is only about half the actual state difference.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

True and false. Yes for people making "normal" money. But when you hit AMT level (as all pro athletes likely do) - those deductions often don't exist.

Sales/Property taxes are much higher in states without income tax - but these guys aren't buying 10M homes (yearly) to account for the difference.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.
    Vince Lombardi

"Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    The other thing is that many states have gone to taxing visiting players, so the difference in tax is only about half the actual state difference.
    As someone who works in many, many states per year - the home state do credit back taxes to other states. And most companies will gross you up to pay the difference in states without income tax (possibly doubtful for NFL contracts).
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.
    Vince Lombardi

"Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.