Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2015 Free Agency/Contract Extension Thread

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    True and false. Yes for people making "normal" money. But when you hit AMT level (as all pro athletes likely do) - those deductions often don't exist.

Sales/Property taxes are much higher in states without income tax - but these guys aren't buying 10M homes (yearly) to account for the difference.
    Sorry, but you are mistaken on the AMT. The majority of athletes earning W-2 wages would not be in the AMT unless they have other sources of income from very specific sources. The AMT top tax rate is 28% and the top athlete's are paying 39.6%. The regular tax is much higher than the AMT amount.

The sad part of the AMT is it hits the people making 200K-500k which is not the original intent of the law.
    Last edited by ThunderDan; 03-11-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Sorry, but you are mistaken on the AMT. The majority of athletes earning W-2 wages would not be in the AMT unless they have other sources of income from very specific sources. The AMT top tax rate is 28% and the top athlete's are paying 39.6%. The regular tax is much higher than the AMT amount.

The sad part of the AMT is it hits the people making 200K-500k which is not the original intent of the law.
    Fair point. Lets just agree the IRS sucks. For the highest paid NFL athletes looking to sign on day one of FA, I'd guess state income tax is a question.
    Last edited by Fosco33; 03-11-2015 at 12:48 PM.

There's been a flurry of activity out there. But I haven't heard anything about Raji. I'm hoping the Packers will re-sign him; I think he'll play well this year. Maybe not 2010 well, but if you could put Guion and Raji in a role of alternating at the nose and continue to develop Pennel, you might have something.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Aren't professional athletes considered independent contractors with 1099 income as opposed to W-2 wages? Does AMT apply to 1099 income? Probably doesn't matter anyway, because after going through the test they likely will have paid enough anyway. As you said, those who fail the AMT test and have to pay extra are usually the moderately well paid more than the highly paid.

As someone who works in many, many states per year - the home state do credit back taxes to other states. And most companies will gross you up to pay the difference in states without income tax (possibly doubtful for NFL contracts).
    Right, that's why I said the difference would be about half the state to state difference. Half the games are at home, so they pay that state's tax, half are on the road, so they pay that state's tax. Road games in states with no tax would presumably default to the home state's tax. No way does the NFL adjust contracts to account for this.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Why is NO interested in Tramon Williams if they are now in the throes of an NBA-style fire sale? Doesn't make much sense.

Just saw that Bears are moving ahead with Jay Cutler as the starting QB... ha

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Fair point. Lets just agree the IRS sucks. For the highest paid NFL athletes looking to sign on day one of FA, I'd guess state income tax is a question.
    Let's just say that the IRS allows us to have an army and roads and a whole host of other necessary and unnecessary services.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Why is NO interested in Tramon Williams if they are now in the throes of an NBA-style fire sale? Doesn't make much sense.
    Moderately priced, decent skills, easy to get rid of in 2 or 3 years good locker room presence as an example of hard work paying off in a long career. Fits in nicely for a roster makeover.

NO is also signing another big batch of FAs. They are hosting Browner after Tramon.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Let's just say that the IRS allows us to have an army and roads and a whole host of other necessary and unnecessary services.
    Take this to FYI if you want to continue!

-Tim Harmston

Ahhh... we can have those services without a completely burdensome collection agency (granted - that is just followed flawed policy). But the IRS seems to be married too closely to politics and has moved away from it's true purpose. Allowing loopholes and not taxing the wealthy while killing the middle/upper middle class...

C'mon boys, keep it Packers talk.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Just saw that Bears are moving ahead with Jay Cutler as the starting QB... ha
    Which means they're not moving ahead at all.

Tampa is still rebuilding their D. Let Michael Johnson go and now are supposed to be parting ways with Dashon Goldson.

To replace him, they are signing a Bears safety, which can't be a good sign (Conte).

Patriots signed former Packer draft pick Kevin Dorsey.

Another linebacker option is gone.
    Raiders signed Curtis Lofton.

OLB Jason Worilds retiring after 5 seasons with the Steelers.

Contract details for a few players:

A.J. Hawk - two years, $3.25 million, $500,000 guaranteed.

Brad Jones - two years, $2.85 million, $500,000 guaranteed.

Marshall Newhouse - 2 years, $3 million, $1 million guaranteed.