Thread: Winter is tough on old people.....

Winter is tough on old people.....

I've always heard and noticed personally that the winter months are especially hard on the very elderly, even if they do not go out a lot.

We just received word of the third death of a close family member since Thanksgiving. All three were in their 90's. All three were living in their own homes until just weeks before they died, so all had good, long and healthy lives. Mentally, each was still sharp. Two just suddenly said "It's time." and died within a few days from nothing in particular. One suddenly didn't feel well, was diagnosed with a very late stage cancer, and died the next day.

We knew it was special to still have each of the three with us. It's funny, I don't feel especially sad that they have died. At their ages, you come to expect it, so there really is no shock even in view of their seemingly robust health. I very much feel the loss of connections to the generation before me. I come from a large family tree. Only two members known to me remain from the generation before me. Have not had much contact with either over the last 40 years, due to location and opportunity.

It makes me realize my own mortality, even more so than death-is-near situations I was in as a young man.

Thanks for letting me ramble........................
    Last edited by Patler; 02-12-2015 at 01:43 AM.

It's a wierd feeling knowing you are the next bullet in the chamber.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Fortunately, global warming is turning the upper midwest into a tropical paradise.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Patler:

I feel exactly the same way but 'only' when I sink into dwelling on that stuff.

My former generation FAMILY was amazing for my early life.

It's all gone except for the wonderful memorys that I recall to feel the closeness to those people.

Why do I feel that all we had will never be for future generations. That we are the last fortunate souls. I feel sorry for the youth today. They don't have a clue as to the quality of life we enjoyed in our pasts.

On life and aging... keep moving your body. Eat properly and that starts with 'NO' diet soft drinks. That habit = poison.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Eat properly and that starts with 'NO' diet soft drinks. That habit = poison.
    What is wrong with DIET soft drinks?

go ahead, live a little
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

You guys are depressing. I'm 67 and feeling plenty young; I think it's a matter of attitude. And no, it's not just Texas compared to Wisconsin. There are a lot of days in De., Jan., and Feb. when it's too shitty to play tennis here.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    You guys are depressing.
    Now is the winter of our discontent....

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    On life and aging... keep moving your body.
    This is difficult. I have a very sedimentary job.

I'm not depressed at all. Not sad for those who passed, they had long and healthy lives. But in a matter of just a couple months to have lost three, virtually ending the generation before me gives you a different perspective.

It's almost the opposite of depression. Even if I live as long as those we said good bye to this winter, that time will come sooner than I would like to admit. It has almost invigorated me to do those things I have planned to do "some time soon". We have always been very active, but we really are going to pay more attention to that "bucket list" we have informally developed. We are making active plans for several things about which we have said "Some time we should....."

My only regret is not having spent even more time than I did with those we lost. That I didn't learn more from them, because I can't ask them now.