Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will Peyton Manning Retire?

Will Peyton Manning Retire?

http://heavy.com/sports/2015/01/will...tirement-talk/

Will Peyton Manning Retire?

Published 9:14 pm EST, January 11, 2015 Updated 9:32 pm EST, January 11, 2015

“My mindset right now is just disappointment after today’s game. I kind of need to process this game and we’ll meet tomorrow, kind of need to process this game, so I’m disappointed right now. … Yeah, I guess I just can’t give that simple answer. I’m processing it. I can’t say that. I could not say that.” Peyton Manning

Comment woodbuck27:

First he needs to rest (sleep) so he can talk.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Manning should retire. His trajectory the last 2 years is strikingly similar to the end for the great mountain man Bert Favre. Old age strikes fast...and often with startling impunity.

Favre
    2009 - career season...33 TDs, 7 INTs...only season over a 100 QB rating in his career. Looked like he could play for 3 more years.
    2010 - looked every bit like a 40 year old man who had absorbed a ton of abuse during his career.

Manning
    2013 - career season...55 TDs, 10 INTs...second highest QB rating in his career. Looked like he could play for 3 more years.
    2014 - during the second half of the season looked every bit like a 38 year old man who had a surgically reconstructed shoulder.

If he comes back, it will not end well. He'll look OK here and there, but his arm is gone. He gets by entirely on knowledge at this point, and even that wasn't enough to get by the last 2 months.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

he should.

Manning probably should retire. He's just not able to play the game the way he used to be able. It's a shame, and I don't think the Broncos can win a Super Bowl now, so why would he stay?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Manning should retire. His trajectory the last 2 years is strikingly similar to the end for the great mountain man Bert Favre. Old age strikes fast...and often with startling impunity.

Favre
    2009 - career season...33 TDs, 7 INTs...only season over a 100 QB rating in his career. Looked like he could play for 3 more years.
    2010 - looked every bit like a 40 year old man who had absorbed a ton of abuse during his career.

Manning
    2013 - career season...55 TDs, 10 INTs...second highest QB rating in his career. Looked like he could play for 3 more years.
    2014 - during the second half of the season looked every bit like a 38 year old man who had a surgically reconstructed shoulder.

If he comes back, it will not end well. He'll look OK here and there, but his arm is gone. He gets by entirely on knowledge at this point, and even that wasn't enough to get by the last 2 months.
    The reads and anticipation ain't enough to make up for his arm strength anymore. He has also lost mobility, he can't go to his left and throw back to the right at all at this point.

The mountain man analogy is quite apt. You had the young buck (Luck) heading up the slope pursuing his quest. And the old trapper, stumbling down the hill, pondering his fate.

Manning had shoulder reconstruction, too? I thought it was just the neck deal.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    He has regressed. Who knows if that is old age, lack of motivation or herpes. Maybe all three. But he looked and acted like an old man yesterday, it is time. Cycle of life and all that...

Last quarter of the season, and last night, it sure looks like he needs to hang 'em up.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Father Time remains undefeated....

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    He's sticking around at least one more year. After next season he'll pass Favre for #1 for passing yards and completions. I think he wants those records.

I also believe that he's the kind of guy who will announce his retirement a year in advance for the retirement tour and to give Denver a heads up so they can draft his replacement and let him sit for a year learning from Manning.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Records are very important to Manning, so I think he sticks around until he has them all as well.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    to quote Kevin Greene: It is time, it is time.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

ESPN reporting that Manning has been playing with a torn right quadriceps over the last month.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014...t-month-season
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Now having same torn/partial/strain argument over this. One doc online said if the quad was torn "completely", he would not be playing.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago
    Specifically: Peyton Manning has a torn rectus femoris, which runs down center of thigh. Bruising was so severe it spread to back of his leg
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    ESPN reporting that Manning has been playing with a torn right quadriceps over the last month.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014...t-month-season
    If that's true it explains a lot.

back to 'the price of tea in China'.

Peyton Manning retiring in this off Season?

Not on your life !

He still has Brett Favre records to pass and Peyton Manning loves his records.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-br...eyton-manning/

Peyton Manning signed a 5 year - $96,000,000 contract with the Denver Broncos.

That includes $58,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $19,200,000.

His CAP hit in 2015 will be $21.5M$

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    If I'm Peyton I play next year. I can think of 20 million reasons.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-br...eyton-manning/

Peyton Manning signed a 5 year - $96,000,000 contract with the Denver Broncos.

That includes $58,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $19,200,000.

His CAP hit in 2015 will be $21.5M$
    from that link:
    2015 salary gauarantees if on the roster at the end of 2014 (spelling theirs)

It doesn't give a date for the guarantee activating. I'd guess the last day of the league year.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    There are other reasons, too. He's close to Favre's yardage record, and the Broncos don't have many other options at QB. There's a lot of chatter about keeping him around and drafting a QB high. Osweiller hasn't filled people with confidence.

A lot of fans are calling for Fox's head and keeping Manning, but I don't know that Manning would want to go through a coaching change.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    21.5 million reasons, I wish somebody would send me just that rounding error in american currency.