Thread: Suh a Packer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Detroit would have a shit ton of $ tied up in Stafford, Megatron and Suh. They already have about $38M committed for Stafford and Megatron in cap next year and $46M in 2016 for those 2. I don't know if they could afford a $15 - 18M contract for Suh over multiple years. Add in that Deandre Levy is an UFA after next year and they wouldn't be able to keep him if they re-sign Suh. Detroit would be best to let Suh go. I wouldn't want him as a Packer, especially not for what it would cost to get him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Detroit would have a shit ton of $ tied up in Stafford, Megatron and Suh. They already have about $38M committed for Stafford and Megatron in cap next year and $46M in 2016 for those 2. I don't know if they could afford a $15 - 18M contract for Suh over multiple years. Add in that Deandre Levy is an UFA after next year and they wouldn't be able to keep him if they re-sign Suh. Detroit would be best to let Suh go. I wouldn't want him as a Packer, especially not for what it would cost to get him.
    They're definitely in a tough situation. Actually, Suh probably deserves 15-18 million more than Stafford and CJ deserve the money they're getting. Stafford was #21 in passer rating, and CJ was 16th in receiving yards due in part to injuries. He's starting to get banged up. The Lions are paying CJ almost twice what the Packers are paying Jordy Nelson. That's an example of why some teams have salary cap problems and some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    They're definitely in a tough situation. Actually, Suh probably deserves 15-18 million more than Stafford and CJ deserve the money they're getting. Stafford was #21 in passer rating, and CJ was 16th in receiving yards due in part to injuries. He's starting to get banged up. The Lions are paying CJ almost twice what the Packers are paying Jordy Nelson. That's an example of why some teams have salary cap problems and some don't.
    But that's also a product of draft position and early career success. If Jordy was drafted by the Packers at number 5 overall and started his season like CJ, the Packers would either be paying him a lot or already have let him go.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    But that's also a product of draft position and early career success. If Jordy was drafted by the Packers at number 5 overall and started his season like CJ, the Packers would either be paying him a lot or already have let him go.
    Maybe that's why TT doesn't use 1st round picks on WR's. Why put yourself into a position of having to pay huge money to a WR when you have a great QB who can make good WR's great? And average WR's good?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Maybe that's why TT doesn't use 1st round picks on WR's. Why put yourself into a position of having to pay huge money to a WR when you have a great QB who can make good WR's great? And average WR's good?
    Sure, and where they typically draft, you're not going to get a shot at that physical specimen, 'sure-fire' dominant WR. Even when Raji was drafted #9; Packers could have had Crabtree, Macklin, Harvin (Nicks and Britt were available after Clay was drafted)
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    They did it with bubblegum and bundle twine this past year. Those 3 players accounted for North of $52M in cap space this past year, no one else on the team had a cap number over $5M. Yes, they had a good run and made the playoffs, but that is nowhere near sustainable.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    They did it with bubblegum and bundle twine this past year. Those 3 players accounted for North of $52M in cap space this past year, no one else on the team had a cap number over $5M. Yes, they had a good run and made the playoffs, but that is nowhere near sustainable.
    They seem to treat their football team like a baseball team. Baseball teams would spend a ton of money, win a title, then disbanded the team as they would hemorrage money. Problem is, the cap is a lot more unforgiving in the NFL than baseball. Plus the Lions didn't do squat with the team they had which is a double whammy. Football owners and GMs need to be smarter with their money than their MLB counterparts and I think some NFL guys get too wrapped up with how the baseball guys do things at times with big contracts.

Another reason to love Ted.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!