Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suh a Packer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Detroit would have a shit ton of $ tied up in Stafford, Megatron and Suh. They already have about $38M committed for Stafford and Megatron in cap next year and $46M in 2016 for those 2. I don't know if they could afford a $15 - 18M contract for Suh over multiple years. Add in that Deandre Levy is an UFA after next year and they wouldn't be able to keep him if they re-sign Suh. Detroit would be best to let Suh go. I wouldn't want him as a Packer, especially not for what it would cost to get him.
    They're definitely in a tough situation. Actually, Suh probably deserves 15-18 million more than Stafford and CJ deserve the money they're getting. Stafford was #21 in passer rating, and CJ was 16th in receiving yards due in part to injuries. He's starting to get banged up. The Lions are paying CJ almost twice what the Packers are paying Jordy Nelson. That's an example of why some teams have salary cap problems and some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    They're definitely in a tough situation. Actually, Suh probably deserves 15-18 million more than Stafford and CJ deserve the money they're getting. Stafford was #21 in passer rating, and CJ was 16th in receiving yards due in part to injuries. He's starting to get banged up. The Lions are paying CJ almost twice what the Packers are paying Jordy Nelson. That's an example of why some teams have salary cap problems and some don't.
    But that's also a product of draft position and early career success. If Jordy was drafted by the Packers at number 5 overall and started his season like CJ, the Packers would either be paying him a lot or already have let him go.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Detroit would have a shit ton of $ tied up in Stafford, Megatron and Suh. They already have about $38M committed for Stafford and Megatron in cap next year and $46M in 2016 for those 2. I don't know if they could afford a $15 - 18M contract for Suh over multiple years. Add in that Deandre Levy is an UFA after next year and they wouldn't be able to keep him if they re-sign Suh. Detroit would be best to let Suh go. I wouldn't want him as a Packer, especially not for what it would cost to get him.
    They did it with bubblegum and bundle twine this past year. Those 3 players accounted for North of $52M in cap space this past year, no one else on the team had a cap number over $5M. Yes, they had a good run and made the playoffs, but that is nowhere near sustainable.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Are you also hinting that Suh likely can't get away from Detroit soon enough?
    It's possible, I really don't know. All I know of Detroit is what I get from the news. Abandoned houses, people's water being cut off, etc, however you wouldn't expect a pro football player to have to put up with that sort of thing. I assume there are some nice suburbs where they live and are isolated from those problems? Beats me.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    They did it with bubblegum and bundle twine this past year. Those 3 players accounted for North of $52M in cap space this past year, no one else on the team had a cap number over $5M. Yes, they had a good run and made the playoffs, but that is nowhere near sustainable.
    They seem to treat their football team like a baseball team. Baseball teams would spend a ton of money, win a title, then disbanded the team as they would hemorrage money. Problem is, the cap is a lot more unforgiving in the NFL than baseball. Plus the Lions didn't do squat with the team they had which is a double whammy. Football owners and GMs need to be smarter with their money than their MLB counterparts and I think some NFL guys get too wrapped up with how the baseball guys do things at times with big contracts.

Another reason to love Ted.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    But that's also a product of draft position and early career success. If Jordy was drafted by the Packers at number 5 overall and started his season like CJ, the Packers would either be paying him a lot or already have let him go.
    Maybe that's why TT doesn't use 1st round picks on WR's. Why put yourself into a position of having to pay huge money to a WR when you have a great QB who can make good WR's great? And average WR's good?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Maybe that's why TT doesn't use 1st round picks on WR's. Why put yourself into a position of having to pay huge money to a WR when you have a great QB who can make good WR's great? And average WR's good?
    Sure, and where they typically draft, you're not going to get a shot at that physical specimen, 'sure-fire' dominant WR. Even when Raji was drafted #9; Packers could have had Crabtree, Macklin, Harvin (Nicks and Britt were available after Clay was drafted)
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

If Calvin Johnson had played his entire career with Favre/Rodgers, he'd be on pace to destroy Rice's records. It's not always about just the one player, but the supporting cast. Calvin Johnson got that boatload payday because had great production AND was the most physically talented receiver, if not player, in the league when he inked the deal.

How would signing Suh overcome dunderdummy's - "rush 3 (no one really), and cover no one defense" like he ran against Seattle on 3rd and forever??

Signing another stud player isn't going to stop Capers from being Capers - is it??

He's had the tools to succeed the last 2 years, and he's shit the bed time and time again... you guys can make some excuses for the embarrassing crap he's handed us years previous, at least to some defensible degree, but the bottom line is - dunderdummy cannot be trusted - EVER!!

I said that when they hired him, and it'll be true until the day the league declares him an embarrassment to the game and bans him for life!!!

I'd love to have Suh as a player - just as I love Peppers as a player, and I like a lot of the other players we have on defense... but undercutting it all is dunderdummy.

There's simply no accounting for the time when he decides to stick 2 carrots up his nose and go complete idiot on us... it can happen at any moment, and unfortunately it tends to happen at big moments in big games.

I would hope you guys would eventually get this figured out, lol... but alas, all these years later - you guys still love the guy. Complete headscratcher to me
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I would hope you guys would eventually get this figured out, lol... but alas, all these years later - you guys still love the guy. Complete headscratcher to me
    Would you care to point out the recent threads where anybody on this forum has been praising Capers? I haven't seen it.

Would you care to point out the recent threads where anybody on this forum has been praising Capers? I haven't seen it.
    I read this and felt compelled to comment. I may not have praised Capers in this forum, but I certainly have in others. The main reason the Packers D did as good as it did/didn't do worse than it did (take your pick) is the scheming and trickery of Capers. Personnel-wise, we are deficient. Think back to the blandness of Packer D before Capers. What we have now is distinctly better.

Com'on Joe... you love the guy, admit it!!!
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Com'on Joe... you love the guy, admit it!!!
    I'm pretty meh about him. I think it's possible to win with him (they have before). But I sure wouldn't mind a change. With the exception of ILB, I think the talent is pretty good. The defense has had a frustrating inability to close out games after playing well for most of the game.

Well the Cover 0 rush didn't get the QB when Russell threw the game winning TD, so it seems as though you can get burned with either approach if the players don't do what they are supposed to do.

Or the offense doesn't get a first down until its behind.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well the Cover 0 rush didn't get the QB when Russell threw the game winning TD, so it seems as though you can get burned with either approach if the players don't do what they are supposed to do.

Or the offense doesn't get a first down until its behind.
    The last 3 times Seattle possessed the ball they scored touchdowns. It's hard to come to Capers' defense (no pun intended) when that happens.

The last 3 times Seattle possessed the ball they scored touchdowns. It's hard to come to Capers' defense (no pun intended) when that happens.
    The defensive alignment Vs Seattle with 1st and 10 at our 35 that went for the game winning pass and catch for the Seahawks win was simply stupid 'D'.

For CB Tramon Williams to give the inside route to Seattle WR Jermaine Kearse and with no over the top backup ie from Sean Richardson was simply hard to believe.

It was a gift wrapped route for Wilson > Kearse.

Dom Capers should have been FIRED just for that.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-16-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    never trust Capers. NEVER
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    never trust Capers. NEVER
    You remind me of someone...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    You remind me of someone...
    Very Wisterious!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

But what was it about his gameplan that was foolish or ill-considered? It worked for 55 minutes. It was never likely they would hold the Seattle O scoreless.

Does anyone actually believe Capers has a D that is called play better NOW! Or one called rush 3 and cover no one?

Players have to execute the call. They did for 55 minutes and then stopped. Wilson hits a few long balls he missed in the first half and the pass rush slows down.

The two areas that need to be addressed by the coach are one, why cannot they play a deep zone pass defense and keep everyone in front of them, and second, though I didn't think it came into play versus Seattle, why call off the dogs late in a half?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.