Thread: Projected Franchise tag salaries - by positions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The WR number just seems stupid.
    Stupider than the CB number?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    The Packer skew my perception probably since Ted could draft either position from a hospital bed.

My sense is top WR don't dominate games so much as their teams' offenses. While a top CB can remove a threat all together. Fitz and CJ earned huge contracts while playing for some middling teams. Vincent Jackson's contract was dumb and Mike Wallace wasn't far behind.

However, just as you can find bargain basement, mid to late round WRs and do well, I suppose you can play zone CBs and be effective without shelling out top dollar.

I am probably complaining about just a handful of players.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The Packer skew my perception probably since Ted could draft either position from a hospital bed.

My sense is top WR don't dominate games so much as their teams' offenses. While a top CB can remove a threat all together. Fitz and CJ earned huge contracts while playing for some middling teams. Vincent Jackson's contract was dumb and Mike Wallace wasn't far behind.

However, just as you can find bargain basement, mid to late round WRs and do well, I suppose you can play zone CBs and be effective without shelling out top dollar.

I am probably complaining about just a handful of players.
    And the Vikings just sit by Ted's bed collecting his castoffs. Norv Turner said Charles Johnson is the Vikings' best WR
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Stupider than the RB number?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Stupider than the RB number?
    You only need one and the top guys can make an offense, though the reverse tends to happen too often.

I can close out a game with that guy, if my offense is actually proficient enough to get a lead.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

You only need one and the top guys can make an offense, though the reverse tends to happen too often.

I can close out a game with that guy, if my offense is actually proficient enough to get a lead.
    Agreed, I looked at the RB number and it didn't bother me so much. I know it's sexy to call the position devalued, but it's still a position that can touch the ball 2 dozen or more times a game. The top guys deserve top money...

Doh, I just realized you didn't specify which way you thought it was stupid. It's the third lowest, above only safety and TE (didn't count kicker!). I think it's slotted way wrong, compared to the importance to a team.
    --

Agreed, I looked at the RB number and it didn't bother me so much. I know it's sexy to call the position devalued, but it's still a position that can touch the ball 2 dozen or more times a game. The top guys deserve top money...

Doh, I just realized you didn't specify which way you thought it was stupid. It's the third lowest, above only safety and TE (didn't count kicker!). I think it's slotted way wrong, compared to the importance to a team.
    I was referencing the devaluation of the position. The franchise number is (if I remember) the average of the top 5 at the position. Besides AP and Maybe Lynch, what RBs are valued at over $10 MM per year? I'm not sure any should be over $6-7 MM right now.

There almost seems to be fewer dependable RBs than there are dependable QBs, although I figure that's actually impossible.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I was referencing the devaluation of the position. The franchise number is (if I remember) the average of the top 5 at the position. Besides AP and Maybe Lynch, what RBs are valued at over $10 MM per year? I'm not sure any should be over $6-7 MM right now.

There almost seems to be fewer dependable RBs than there are dependable QBs, although I figure that's actually impossible.
    I do think it's ridiculous that it's the third lowest #. There are other backs that carry the load and are more than dependable, they are game changing: from this past season, Murray, McCoy and Bell were all outstanding. Bell is going nowhere but up, and could become the best back in the league now. Forte went over 1K on the ground...and added 800 yards in the air - he's the only one that kept that team from a top 5 draft choice, cause it certainly wasn't Cutler! Morris, Foster and Gore (despite the later two being a little long in the tooth) all also did well on bad teams.
    --