Thread: Melvin Gordon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Is this as bad as it sounds?

On 19.2% of his runs, according to NFL.com, Gordon was stuffed for zero or negative yards.
    It is a stat I have not seen reported for other backs. There is nothing to compare it to. It sounds bad, though.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

It is a stat I have not seen reported for other backs. There is nothing to compare it to. It sounds bad, though.
    There was no QB on the Badgers who could complete a pass with any consistency. If you want to put 8 in the box and force Melvin to bounce outside good QBs in the NFL will audible to a pass and torch the D. Wisconsin couldn't do that.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    There was no QB on the Badgers who could complete a pass with any consistency. If you want to put 8 in the box and force Melvin to bounce outside good QBs in the NFL will audible to a pass and torch the D. Wisconsin couldn't do that.
    Yes, Melvin (and RB Cory Clement) was basically all Bucky had last year. Besides no QB Wisconsin didn't have a decent WR either. Their QB Stave is horrendous. He is a big kid but throws a poor pass and never looks off his receivers. It was a miracle they won as many games as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    That is why its hard to project him. Unless its late game and his team is running out the clock, he won't face 11 in the box with run blitzing like he did versus Ohio State.

Badgers also had tough time with quick D Tackles and gave up a lot of tackles for loss on penetration.

The only way to tell might be to compare him year over year with different interior O line. The Badger O line is not what it once was.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Not in my book. I can't predict success in the NFL with any accuracy, but I know that this was the worst combination of QB and receiver (TE included) play I have seen from Wisco since Alvarez turned the corner. More importantly, I am willing to bet that the stat is a product of several games where the OL got worked over badly. This year's OL was not one of their best. Granted, they have a pretty high bar from years past.

I don't recall many instances thinking MG missed a hole. I think he will be a good back, but don't expect him to break NFL records. In today's game RBs just don't matter as much as they used to.