Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trades? In the NFL?

Trades? In the NFL?

Trades? In the NFL? The insanity of it!

A couple of big names in Brandon Marshall and LeSean McCoy moving this offseason. Smaller name in Cassel, but that could still likely a move for a starting QB. Not something you often see in the NFL. Teams are reluctant to part with draft picks, so usually players who have worn out their welcome, even if they are still a certainty to play in the NFL, end up being released instead of traded. Also, the structure of the salary cap means that trading a player with years left on his contract results in money accelerated against your cap.

So what's the difference this year? Why the change? Is this just a new owner in Buffalo going crazy, is was there subtle change that makes this approach viable?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Too often new coaches just "make do" with what they have and aren't aggressive enough with their player acquisition to get players that will help them win ASAP or . They keep coming in thinking they have 4-5 years but too often the are out by year 3 due to not winning enough. Impressed with Buffalo's moves so far. They got a very good RB with McCoy and a solid QB in Cassel. Offense is looking in much better shape so now they can draft BPA instead of getting locked into a certain position.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

yeah, its a "win now" league. these new guys have to win now or they're gone next year

there is no draft and develop option for a lot of teams out there. you do draft and develop with a new coach and he gets fired in two years, new guy comes in and wants his own kind of players

so, bring in players that you know can do the job

How much do the Eagles get accelerated against their cap? McCoy had $3.4M of prorated signing bonus left, 1.7 in 2015, 1.7 in 2016. I assume that all gets accelerated against the Eagles 2015 cap.
    --

Yes, but now his $6million or so salary is off the books, so it's still a net gain in 2015 cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    How much do the Eagles get accelerated against their cap? McCoy had $3.4M of prorated signing bonus left, 1.7 in 2015, 1.7 in 2016. I assume that all gets accelerated against the Eagles 2015 cap.
    You can split it between this year and next at any point if a player is released. But not sure if that is possible with a trade.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

So the Bears are not even trying to hide their desire to move Cutler anymore. Problem is, of course, he's due $31.5M in salary over the next 2 years.

Absent a trade (no way anyone takes on that!) if the Bears have really decided to cut bait, he might be released this week, because on Thursday, $10M of his 2016 salary guarantees!
    --

i wonder if we will ever get to a point where the nfl does some trades like we see in the nba

like a player and cash and a draft pick to a team with lots of cap room for some guys who's contract would be expiring in a year

like the raiders, they need to eat up a ton of cap and there isn't a ton left out there worth big contracts

something like the bears sending cutler and like 6 million cash and maybe a draft pick to the raiders for some rookies

I like the sound of Jay Cutler's never expiring contract.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The Cutler contract is up there with biggest bonehead moves by a division opponent with the Walker trade by the Vikes and the Matt Millen hire by the Lions.

I hope the bares keep Cutler for years!

Either Chip Kelly will be the evil genius in Philly or he will be run out of town. Foles and a 2nd rounder for BRADFORD??? Got rid of Jackson, Maclin, McCoy and now Foles. He's definitely in charge, but if anything even close to a slow start in Philly and the rabid Philly fanbase will turn on him in a heartbeat.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

Holy shit, I vaugely remember those things on the store shelf along with Wonka bars.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Either Chip Kelly will be the evil genius in Philly or he will be run out of town. Foles and a 2nd rounder for BRADFORD??? Got rid of Jackson, Maclin, McCoy and now Foles. He's definitely in charge, but if anything even close to a slow start in Philly and the rabid Philly fanbase will turn on him in a heartbeat.
    I think he's fucking nuts myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post

Lions trade a fourth and a fifth round pick for Ngata. Here's a quote from the Detroit News on the deal:

"the Lions' acquisition of the five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle from the Ravens for a pair of mid-round picks was a commendable response. GM Martin Mayhew knows how tricky free agency can be, so he made the trade moments before Baltimore reportedly was about to release Ngata for salary-cap reasons."

...And this is the difference between the Lions' franchise and the Packers'.

Had the Ravens released Ngata, apparently the Lions' GM thought he'd sign for more than 8.5 million for this year.

While I like Ngata, that seems to me unrealistic, completely. He's 31, was suspended four games last year, and has an injury history that, at his age, is unlikely to lessen.

Do any of you think he'd really have gotten the same money or more in a free agent market?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Mayhew just committed one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: never get involved in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens when a declining player is on the table!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Its not as if draft picks are more important than cash. C'mon!

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Mayhew just committed one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: never get involved in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens when a declining player is on the table!
    Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    He certainly seems to be leaning that way. I can't tell what the hell's going on there.
    --