Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Raji looks to be back

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Your contention is that he was so insulted, he didn't sign the insulting offer and then sulked his way to play worse, in order to secure an even worse contract?

You are basically arguing he is self destructive, worse than Finley?
    my point was, and it was a pretty common idea a year ago, that after he was insulted by that offer, he phoned in the rest of the year thinking he was done in green bay. problem was, no one else wanted him after seeing how he quit on his team

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    my point was, and it was a pretty common idea a year ago, that after he was insulted by that offer, he phoned in the rest of the year thinking he was done in green bay. problem was, no one else wanted him after seeing how he quit on his team
    He doesn't strike me as that dumb. Quite the opposite actually.

Finley clearly lived in a space in his head where everyone's concerns and his contract numbers mattered to him. I don't get that sense from Raji.

Now it didn't work out for him, so his gauge of the market and his performance plus role conspired to hurt him badly. But outside of second half foray's into being a consistently penetrating tackle regardless of the play design (often when the D was getting gashed), he seemed eminently coachable. Matthews has made more news about a position switch.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Feel free to explain why you obviously think otherwise.
    OK
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I am in complete favor of bringing Raji back. You'll get him for a reasonable amount, and he can be very productive as a penetrating NT in the current system, which he has yet to play in.

It's a great fit. Do it, Ted!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Feel free to explain why you obviously think otherwise.
    FWIW, I think Rand works in some kind of research environment, quite possibly academic but maybe commercial. For the most part, to get anywhere in that career you have to be very self-motivated because even if you're absolutely brilliant you have to slog through years of work and bullshit to get to any real sort of relevance.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He doesn't strike me as that dumb. Quite the opposite actually.

Finley clearly lived in a space in his head where everyone's concerns and his contract numbers mattered to him. I don't get that sense from Raji.

Now it didn't work out for him, so his gauge of the market and his performance plus role conspired to hurt him badly. But outside of second half foray's into being a consistently penetrating tackle regardless of the play design (often when the D was getting gashed), he seemed eminently coachable. Matthews has made more news about a position switch.
    I'm guessing that Raji played 2013 completely within the system, actually doing what he was asked: to double team and keep the ILBs clean. He didn't freelance to penetrate because he was focused on doing what he was supposed to do.

It just so happened that his low statistical productivity made it look like he was in severe decline, and no one wanted him. I think he was really just supremely miscast as a DE, but he was still a better DE than Pickett.

So hopefully, as a NT, he'll start showing up on the stat sheets more.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    FWIW, I think Rand works in some kind of research environment, quite possibly academic but maybe commercial. For the most part, to get anywhere in that career you have to be very self-motivated because even if you're absolutely brilliant you have to slog through years of work and bullshit to get to any real sort of relevance.
    He doesn't appear very motivated to explain himself.

Either that or he is royalty.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Yoop, Max, and Mission you are all correct: I am in research, often not funded, and usually royally screwed, probably because I am unmotivated to explain myself (lack of publications).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

... to get anywhere in that career you have to be very self-motivated because even if you're absolutely brilliant you have to slog through years of work and bullshit to get to any real sort of relevance.
    this is very accurate. Now imagine trying it with marginal intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Yoop, Max, and Mission you are all correct: I am in research, often not funded, and usually royally screwed, probably because I am unmotivated to explain myself (lack of publications).
    My next guesses were trust fund kicking in at age 50 or moist towelette heir.

i would have guessed conservative radio talk show host

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i would have guessed conservative radio talk show host
    I have the looks for it

Didn't we already know Raji was black?

So is this a 1 year / 2 mil deal? Even that sounds rich, but I thought 4mil last year was too. Can't see them paying anymore than that for basically a guy who hasn't done anything in two years.

I would think another one year deal at maybe two or two-and-a-half mill might get him back - unless the Lions lose Suh and look at Raji as a potential replacement.

Sign Raji! He'll be back to his 2010 form. I promise.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

i can't see why would would give him anything more then another 1 year "prove it" deal

we gave him one last year, and he was hurt before he could prove anything

we've learned nothing in the last year

of course, because there was one or two articles written during training camp last year saying he looked decent, people are conveniently forgeting about his previous 2 or 3 years when he was just a fat, lazy slug collecting a paycheck and not much else