Thread: O.T. - 1st it was "Mr. Cub", now "Mr. White Sox"

O.T. - 1st it was "Mr. Cub", now "Mr. White Sox"

The Cubs lost Ernie Banks in January, now the Sox have lost Minnie Minoso. Minoso was the first black major leaguer in the city of Chicago, although he actually played for two seasons with the Indians before that.

Good combination of speed and power. Excellent defensive player. An exciting guy to watch. With Bill Veeck's life-long penchant for unusual promotions, he was activated in the '70s and '80s for a few at bats with the Sox so he could say he played in five different decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The Cubs lost Ernie Banks in January, now the Sox have lost Minnie Minoso. Minoso was the first black major leaguer in the city of Chicago, although he actually played for two seasons with the Indians before that.

Good combination of speed and power. Excellent defensive player. An exciting guy to watch. With Bill Veeck's life-long penchant for unusual promotions, he was activated in the '70s and '80s for a few at bats with the Sox so he could say he played in five different decades.
    I remember that.

RIP Mr. Minoso.

Wasn't he, I thought, in his fifties when he got an AB or two from Veeck?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack