Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trades? In the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Lions trade a fourth and a fifth round pick for Ngata. Here's a quote from the Detroit News on the deal:

"the Lions' acquisition of the five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle from the Ravens for a pair of mid-round picks was a commendable response. GM Martin Mayhew knows how tricky free agency can be, so he made the trade moments before Baltimore reportedly was about to release Ngata for salary-cap reasons."

...And this is the difference between the Lions' franchise and the Packers'.

Had the Ravens released Ngata, apparently the Lions' GM thought he'd sign for more than 8.5 million for this year.

While I like Ngata, that seems to me unrealistic, completely. He's 31, was suspended four games last year, and has an injury history that, at his age, is unlikely to lessen.

Do any of you think he'd really have gotten the same money or more in a free agent market?
    Or maybe the issue is they are losing their two DTs, needed another one, and were afraid that if Ngata hit FA he wouldn't answer the phone when they called.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Lions trade a fourth and a fifth round pick for Ngata. Here's a quote from the Detroit News on the deal:

"the Lions' acquisition of the five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle from the Ravens for a pair of mid-round picks was a commendable response. GM Martin Mayhew knows how tricky free agency can be, so he made the trade moments before Baltimore reportedly was about to release Ngata for salary-cap reasons."

...And this is the difference between the Lions' franchise and the Packers'.

Had the Ravens released Ngata, apparently the Lions' GM thought he'd sign for more than 8.5 million for this year.

While I like Ngata, that seems to me unrealistic, completely. He's 31, was suspended four games last year, and has an injury history that, at his age, is unlikely to lessen.

Do any of you think he'd really have gotten the same money or more in a free agent market?
    I actually like the move for the Lions. With Suh and most likely Fairley gone, they have a massive hole in the middle. Even if they only keep Ngata for 1 year, he'll sign a decent contract elsewhere and the Lions will get a compensatory selection in the 2017 draft. You can argue they should have kept the picks this year and created depth over the next 2-3 years but with Calvin turning 30 at the start of next season I think they only see themselves as having a 2-3 year window before they have to reload.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I actually like the move for the Lions. With Suh and most likely Fairley gone, they have a massive hole in the middle. Even if they only keep Ngata for 1 year, he'll sign a decent contract elsewhere and the Lions will get a compensatory selection in the 2017 draft. You can argue they should have kept the picks this year and created depth over the next 2-3 years but with Calvin turning 30 at the start of next season I think they only see themselves as having a 2-3 year window before they have to reload.
    Part of my point is that teams who see themselves as having a two or three year window tend to make bigger mistakes that cost them down the road. The Lions already re-negotiated Suh's contract twice, and Stafford at least once - and that was so they'd have this window. But the bill for Suh came due, and when compounded with all that interest it cost them his services - with no SB or even an NFC championship to show for it. Now they're behind the eight ball and just committed 8.5 mil for Hgata because they were afraid - afraid they only have a brief window.

This year Suh will cost the Lions - I think - about 6.5 million - even though he will be playing for Miami. Add the 8.5 for Ngata, and you have a team paying 15 million dollars this year , plus a fourth and a fifth round pick, for one defensive tackle.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Part of my point is that teams who see themselves as having a two or three year window tend to make bigger mistakes that cost them down the road. The Lions already re-negotiated Suh's contract twice, and Stafford at least once - and that was so they'd have this window. But the bill for Suh came due, and when compounded with all that interest it cost them his services - with no SB or even an NFC championship to show for it. Now they're behind the eight ball and just committed 8.5 mil for Hgata because they were afraid - afraid they only have a brief window.

This year Suh will cost the Lions - I think - about 6.5 million - even though he will be playing for Miami. Add the 8.5 for Ngata, and you have a team paying 15 million dollars this year , plus a fourth and a fifth round pick, for one defensive tackle.
    Oh I completely agree with you and remind myself this multiple times during FA when all the other teams go wild and the Packers sit quiet.

The Lions have a cap hit of 9.5M on Suh this year, the 4th largest of any DT...
    Go PACK

And another one
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-and-a-third/

This one's a headscratcher, Stills for a 29yr old LB. NO looked like they are trying to dump salary, but instead get rid of Still who's on a cheap rookie contract.
    --

Not all of the moves need to be for cap room. Maybe Sean Payton hates him. Maybe they typed in the names wrong on their typewriter when preparing the telegram for the league office. It is truly a mystery.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know what, fuck Harvey!!! He should invent something that automatically pats himself on the back cuz by now his shoulder has got to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    You know what, fuck Harvey!!! He should invent something that automatically pats himself on the back cuz by now his shoulder has got to hurt.
    Well there ya go, words of wisdom. I'm sure that's some meaningful shit to you, and like Confucius, no one know what you mean, so we nod and smile. Thanks for stopping by!
    --

Dolphins trade Mike Wallace and a 7th to Vikings for a 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Dolphins trade Mike Wallace and a 7th to Vikings for a 5th.

Those god damned super bowl sharks make me laugh everytime for some reason.

Good move although it may sound funny, WR is a bit jammed now unless they have written off Patterson (very possible).

salary aside that's a pretty f****** awesome trade for the Vikings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Well there ya go, words of wisdom. I'm sure that's some meaningful shit to you, and like Confucius, no one know what you mean, so we nod and smile. Thanks for stopping by!
    As long as Harvey understands who gives a damn what you think. If you have a moment to get your chin off his nutsack I will explain it to you.

As long as Harvey understands who gives a damn what you think. If you have a moment to get your chin off his nutsack I will explain it to you.
    Ah, the soothing sound of kind words from MTP - ever the diplomat!

With apologies to Kaitlyn Guenther,

There once was a jumping Harvey
    And jumping he would always be
    He fell off a cliff
    Because he was stiff
    Now jumping he will never be
    --

Blog Entries
    Fuck, I posted that first comment in the wrong thread. Was supposed to be in this one:
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...lly-Mad-Genius

Fuck, I posted that first comment in the wrong thread. Was supposed to be in this one:
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...lly-Mad-Genius
    So, about your first reply to me?
    --

Blog Entries
    So, about your first reply to me?
    What you want an apology bitch? Fine, sorry for hurting your feelings you fucking pansy.

This might be a dumb question, but why all the talk of HWb?

Junior Rat Rookie
    The Herschel Walker Jimmy Johnson great train robbery. Does anyone know if this could still happen today with that many players being traded and getting that many picks? Could the Eagles cut Bradford and get a #1? If the Vikes kept Jennings and traded him, could a team have cut him and gotten a #2?

Last I checked, you don't get picks for cutting someone. What are you referring to, specifically?

How much do the Eagles get accelerated against their cap? McCoy had $3.4M of prorated signing bonus left, 1.7 in 2015, 1.7 in 2016. I assume that all gets accelerated against the Eagles 2015 cap.
    Trades in the NFL:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...FQaRaQodwaQApw

It seems to me that the Eagles are over invested now at RB....with Murray and Matthews set at a combined $11.667 M$ plus your projected number.

Buffalo made some strong moves but so have the Washington Redskins over the past 10-15 seasons and there still shaking their heads. An NFL contender for the Super Bowl has to have a very strong QB. I'm guessing that Buffal feels it'll get it done on 'D' much the same as Seattle.

NE is weaker losing Darrell Revis.

Seattle is stronger. If that team allows M. Lynch to truly lead and now with TE Jimmy Graham...look the 'H" out.

There's a team that's going for it in 2015.

The NFC Championship game will be between Green Bay and Seattle.

Count on that.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau