Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 49ers Borland Retires

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Thus marks the beginning of the end of pro football, at least as we know it.

Ah, it was a good run.
    Yea, this trend is not looking good for football's long term future. I think the next step will be shock sensors in the helmets. After calibration there will be a mandatory concussion check after a specified shock, and a mandatory removal from game after a specified higher shock level. The levels might change if a player has had a concussion in previous weeks. Doing this would prevent players from 'playing through' concussions, reducing the chances of injuring an already injured brain.

Unfortunately, while improving long-term health, the knowledge of how much damage players are doing to their brains during a game may wind up scaring even more players off.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i'm thinking the exact same thing

and so the end begins
    Ted knew it. He's poised the team to go out on top.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

If/When they are able to specifically identify the effects of micro concussions and the major dingers - and some connection of history/personal effect, then a player can make an informed decision.

I.e. - farmers and coal miners know the risks and life expediencies but still decide to pursue that career for a host of reasons.

One of my best friends was a lineman at UW - had spinal stenosis after an awkward hit and gave up football immediately (he was in line for starter as Junior and was as good bet as anyone to make an NFL team). He weighed that risk and made a decision.

Not much different than many others for that condition but now seemingly becoming more common for pro athletes and concussion risks...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Ya, I thought about both. At least Sanders spent some years in the league, was a starter and proven performer (at times) and his "problems" were well-known. Many thought the Bucks were crazy to give him that much cash.

Borland pocketed a million $ for a season he probably expected not to play much as a rookie. Then suddenly in the off season he has an epiphany and understands there are risks of head trauma, so he quits.
    Ahh..Larry Sanders was a basketball reference. Did Larry wear a helmet?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

The idea that a player is beholden to a contract but the team is not is dumb.
    raise your hand if you disagree. thought so.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    raise your hand if you disagree. thought so.
    Two posters compared Borland to Sanders, mentioned gobs of cash and quitting.

Does anyone describe teams that way when they part with players?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    If/When they are able to specifically identify the effects of micro concussions and the major dingers - and some connection of history/personal effect, then a player can make an informed decision.

I.e. - farmers and coal miners know the risks and life expediencies but still decide to pursue that career for a host of reasons.

One of my best friends was a lineman at UW - had spinal stenosis after an awkward hit and gave up football immediately (he was in line for starter as Junior and was as good bet as anyone to make an NFL team). He weighed that risk and made a decision.

Not much different than many others for that condition but now seemingly becoming more common for pro athletes and concussion risks...
    Famers and coal miners probably have fewer choices.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Two posters compared Borland to Sanders, mentioned gobs of cash and quitting.

Does anyone describe teams that way when they part with players?
    So you are saying teams are not allowed by contract to cut players?

So you are saying teams are not allowed by contract to cut players?
    Not at all. But the reaction to each side exercising their contractual rights is asymmetric.

Famers and coal miners probably have fewer choices.
    ? A lot of football players have no other skills I should think. Either play football, or what, fall back on your degree in electrical engineering? Or go work in the coal mine more likely.

Not at all. But the reaction to each side exercising their contractual rights is asymmetric.
    Probably because one circumstance - quitting after making "gobs of cash" is so rare as to be challenging to even find a second example in the same sport. And do the players have a contractual right to quit? Did Larry give two week's notice?

? A lot of football players have no other skills I should think. Either play football, or what, fall back on your degree in electrical engineering? Or go work in the coal mine more likely.
    Possibly. But football players have a decent shot of having had a very good payday. Gives you a head start on the second career.

Possibly. But football players have a decent shot of having had a very good payday. Gives you a head start on the second career.
    I'm guessing you didn't see all those restaurants close their doors.

Probably because one circumstance - quitting after making "gobs of cash" is so rare as to be challenging to even find a second example in the same sport. And do the players have a contractual right to quit? Did Larry give two week's notice?
    The NFL seems to think so. Unsure about Larry.

Though Larry and his 5 year guaranteed contract is an interesting phenomenon. Teams must realize such revenue from the stars that they would actually like to sign up for life, that they have agreed to the guaranteed language or minimum spending and still hand out five year deals to lesser known players.

I'm not sure if its like being the lead singer in a mediocre band or the drummer in a great one.

I'm guessing you didn't see all those restaurants close their doors.
    Reminds me I have never been to Brett's Steakhouse.

Reminds me I have never been to Brett's Steakhouse.
    Better eats are available at The Broke Spoke.

Borland made a little over a million with his bonus and one year's salary. If the goal is to live a decent normal life, he's set - who among us couldn't do well with a million head start. I would think, though, there are enough safeguards and protections that playing at least a few more years and making maybe double digit millions would have been worth the risk for somebody with that kind of God-given talent.

I've always said, I will never feel sorry for an athlete making that kind of money playing a sport we all would love playing for a tiny fraction as much. If that applies to somebody suffering the effects of head injury, I guess it also applies to somebody erring on the side of caution to prevent it. I do NOT see this as the start of any significant trend. The minimal risk and HUGE reward for playing will be just too overwhelming for most people.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...njury-concerns

He sustained a head injury in pre-season that wasn't severe enough to require treatment. By Week 4, he had written his parents that it might be a one year career.

His father sounds like their were always concerns about football in the family. None of his sons played until high school.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...ne-year-031715

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post

I like this take. The overall pool of available bodies will get smaller, but plenty of freakishly gifted individuals will still decide to leverage those gifts to make a lot of money in a relatively short amount of time.

I also feel like this will drive some innovation in protective gear. This is America--when a lawsuit opens a niche, technology fills it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    From an SI article, similar to the initial article posted at the top the thread.

"Borland earned a bachelor's degree in history from Wisconsin and says he'll probably go back to study sports management. In truth, his sense of history led him to a decision that he may never regret -- and other NFL players could use this type of management."

I'm not exactly sure if Sports Management means becoming a player agent, but that would be a somewhat odd choice of second career, so soon after leaving the game for safety reasons. If he were to become a player agent, would he have more credibility or less? Obviously you don't have to have played ball to be an agent or a coach, but perhaps you understand things better. If he does decide to become a player agent, it's sort of a weird place to be. It would almost be like saying, "safety concerns caused met to quit playing, but let me make a percentage off of your decision to play." I know he's doing what's best for him, but I'm not sure how you be involved like that given your reasons for leaving the game.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan