Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compensatory Picks Issued Today

Tramon is skirting the line for a 3rd, but most likely will be a 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Both Tramon and House I believe.
    The possibility of three fourth round picks next year is surely causing Ted to bulge.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yeah but its a compensation pick for losing a player. they have not lost the player. the lost him for a year, like an injury.

that IMO, should have brought the comp pick way down or cancelled it out all together
    What if they signed a different, but similar player this year? Should they still lose the compensation pick for the FA loss last year? I doubt anyone would even raise the question. Why should it matter who the player is that they sign this year?

To put it in Packer terms, the Packers lost Erik Walden in 2013 and received a compensatory pick in the 2014 draft. They also signed Peppers in 2014 as a street free agent. Should they have lost their compensation for Walden in the 2014 draft because they signed Peppers? Now, what if the Colts had released Walden after 2013, and instead of signing Peppers, the Packers re-signed Walden in 2014. Should they have lost the 2014 compensatory pick if they had signed Walden instead of Peppers?
    Last edited by Patler; 03-25-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    The possibility of three fourth round picks next year is surely causing Ted to bulge.
    Time to stock up the offensive line. Sitton, Lang, Tretter and Bakhtiari all 4th round picks.

Where is talk of the 3rd 4th rounder coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Where is talk of the 3rd 4th rounder coming from?
    next year for tramon and house

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    What if they signed a different, but similar player this year? Should they still lose the compensation pick for the FA loss last year? I doubt anyone would even raise the question. Why should it matter who the player is that they sign this year?

To put it in Packer terms, the Packers lost Erik Walden in 2013 and received a compensatory pick in the 2014 draft. They also signed Peppers in 2014 as a street free agent. Should they have lost their compensation for Walden in the 2014 draft because they signed Peppers? Now, what if the Colts had released Walden after 2013, and instead of signing Peppers, the Packers re-signed Walden in 2014. Should they have lost the 2014 compensatory pick if they had signed Walden instead of Peppers?
    yes, IMO, they should have lost the pick if they had re signed walden before the next draft

its compensation for a team to help rebuild after losing a guy, if the guy returns to the team before the team uses the comp pick, then they haven't lost anything have they?

so, whats stopping a team and player from getting together and deciding it might be in the players best interest to take a massive one year deal elsewhere. the team will get a high comp pick for him, and the team will resign the player the following year and let him chase a ring?

i don't know, to me this is common sense, if you haven't lost anything, you shouldn't get compensation. guess i'm in the minority on that

its compensation for a team to help rebuild after losing a guy, if the guy returns to the team before the team uses the comp pick, then they haven't lost anything have they?
    He played in Tampa last year. The Bungles lost a year of service.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

so

should the nfl then start handing out comp picks for players who are hurt for full years?

and while we're on it, why not comp picks for players that have their careers ended?

those hurt worse

so

should the nfl then start handing out comp picks for players who are hurt for full years?

and while we're on it, why not comp picks for players that have their careers ended?

those hurt worse
    What part of free agent loss compensation is confusing?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

the part where the get the player back before they even receive the comp pick for losing him

i understand the rules, but in this instance i think common sense took a piss break

i mean the contract that they based the comp pick on was already null and void by the time they issued the pick
    Last edited by red; 03-25-2015 at 04:02 PM.

the part where the get the player back before they even receive the comp pick for losing him

i understand the rules, but in this instance i think common sense took a piss break

i mean the contract that they based the comp pick on was already null and void by the time they issued the pick
    I could see your point if the guy was cut in training camp or didn't make the team and they brought him back. He doesn't even take a snap under the new deal for the new team. But that didn't happen here.

I could even see perhaps modifying the comp pick because the contract did not realize its full value. However, since the biggest of these deals tend to front load significant money, I bet the formula already takes that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I could see your point if the guy was cut in training camp or didn't make the team and they brought him back. He doesn't even take a snap under the new deal for the new team. But that didn't happen here.

I could even see perhaps modifying the comp pick because the contract did not realize its full value. However, since the biggest of these deals tend to front load significant money, I bet the formula already takes that into consideration.
    i doubt it does. thats why a 1 year 10 million dollar deal will net you the same as a 5 year 50 million dollar deal

the whole process seems very simplistic and based solely on average per year

Your last sentence is correct.

so, whats stopping a team and player from getting together and deciding it might be in the players best interest to take a massive one year deal elsewhere. the team will get a high comp pick for him, and the team will resign the player the following year and let him chase a ring?
    Normally, the player signs a multi-year contract with the new team, so he isn't available again for many years. There is no way for a team and player to plan what you suggest. Why will other teams want to invest big money in a player for just one season?

Michael Johnson signed a five year $44 million contract with the Bucs. It is unusual for a team to sign a big money free agent, and release him just a year later. The Bucs did it with two players this year. They also cut Anthony Collins, who they had signed just last year to a five year $30 million contract

Again, this is an anomaly related to how stupid the Bucs are. Why should we penalize the Bengals for how stupid another organization is?

yes, IMO, they should have lost the pick if they had re signed walden before the next draft

They did actually sign Peppers instead of Walden. Why should the lose the pick if the re-signed Walden, but not when the signed Peppers, an even better player?. Either way they have already replaced the player they lost before the comp pick is awarded. Some teams some years sign the replacement the same year. In that situation they are never short a good experienced player, they just replace one with another.